Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Why the sound difference in C5 and F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the sound difference in C5 and F-body?

Hey guys i am new as an Ls1tech member but not new to the website as iv known of it for about a year now and this is my first post!

Now i know the F-body and base C5 have basically the same ls1 engine but I have always wondered, why do they sound so different?

A Camaro or Trans Am or even a 04 GTOs ls1 will sound like the regular muscle car with loud deep rumble etc...

But pretty much anything in a Corvette has that higher-pitched supercar sound to it.

Anyone know exactly why? Its just been a question thats puzzled me lol
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not 100% sure on this, But I do believe its because The bends an size pipe under the vettes, We did a vette about a month ago an did headers back, Man it sounds badass!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe bc a corvette has true duals compared to the F- bodys y set up i dont know...I think i like the f-body sound better....
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F-bodies have y-pipes. Corvettes have true duals with h-pipes in the mids. Vettes also have 2 medium sized mufflers instead of 1 large muffler. The cats and exhaust manifolds are also different. The cats on the LS1 F-bodies are not in equal locations. The left cat is right off the manifold while the right cat is under the passenger foot area. They're also smaller cats. The cats in the C5s are larger and at equal length distances from the manifolds.

All C5s came with 2.5" exhaust. I'm pretty sure that's what F-bodies came with too.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a lot has to do with how the catbacks are designed. They are tailored to what they think the owners of the cars prefer.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camaro has hamsters, Vette has gerbils.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Camaro has hamsters, Vette has gerbils.
Enough said. LOL
Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

It has to do with the muffler location being at the very back of the car on a Corvette. I think.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette's are quiet when stock but when you add LT's and and xpipe they sound better then Fbody cars. It's the true dual aspect of the Vette's.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. But iv heard a number of f bodies with x pipe TD set up and it doesnt sound nearly the same

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
I think a lot has to do with how the catbacks are designed. They are tailored to what they think the owners of the cars prefer.
Im just gonna chalk it all up to this
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first, WELCOME TO THE LS1TECH!!!!! The exhaust flow is completly different in the f-body than The c-5. There is alot more curves. And In the fbody, There are y-Pipes not X-Pipe or H-Pipe
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Soo much comes into play(and welcome bythe way dude-lemme know if you need any help) with exhaust systems. The corvette, as everyone has mentioned is very unique in design. Lets assume where talking about two cars with long tubes, and no cats for the moment. Both, can be loud(f-body vs y-body),..but, the f body will sound very differnt because of its typical design. The two into one pipe,..changes the way the exhaust sounds,...alot. Not only that,..trying to CRAm all that air into the pipes, will have a certain effect on decibal.

Not only that,..tube diamater makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE(HUGE). For example, a 2 1/2 inch pipe setup(again, long tubes-no cats-whatever catback but I prefer bullets for this example)..... the 2 1/2 will sound much more higher pitched,... much more(then the same setup with 3"). All that velocity(header collectors also have an effect on sound) as well as header tubing(1 5/8 vs 1 7/8) will give it a bike like pitch to it( 17/8+2 1/2 pipes). The same car, with 1 7/8 headers, and 3" dual tubing,... will sound much more docil,.. much more deeper toned,..

You can also add these triangular things,.. that go into your exhaust system,..that will audibly change the sound of the car,.. look into a B&B bullet system for a C6 to understand what I mean. I found them in my burnsstainless catalog that I have at work but, I cannot remember name.

The F bodies,.. with long tubes, with that merge into ONE exhaust, then into the TYPICAL catback for an f body, is very restrictive. To make it less restrictive, they require larger tubing,..which when joined with two into one, gives it a blown out/ not so clean of a sound,.. The good sounding traditional catback f bodies,..are all restrictive. So,.. do you want it to sound good(clean) and loose some power,.. or do you make everything big,.. make it sound shitty(imo)...to make a few extra? Your call.

If you put true duals on an F body,.. with an X pipe, and true dual bullet mufflers,.. it'll sound just like a vette,.. however, the F body drivetrain, doesn't REALLY allow for a bolt on TRUE dual system with TAIL PIPES. Which, tail pipes, have ALOT TO DO WITH SOUND. We don't hear too many vettes with dumps. Dumps,..are quiet in comparison to a car that has the same mufflers and tailpipes. Anyways,...I think KOOKS made a true dual one off system for an f body once or twice... looked good, never heard a sound clip but,..I bet out sounds similar to a vette.

Sorry if this sounds like jibberish,..but I have heard ALOT of exhaust systems in my day .....day to day...to day.

lol... forced induction, also cause the cars to sound VERY different.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
WELCOME TO THE LS1TECH!!!!!
Thanks man i was waitin for that

And to V-seriesTech: (since i dont know how to quote more than one person in a single reply lol) thanks for all that, im pretty confident its all in the bends and design and such now. And i think i know what your talking about when you say the triangular things. I think i saw them in a JEGS magazine i have a long time ago? If im not mistaken. Their suppost to help with flow or something i cant remember. But yea, im just most interested because im hoping to get a C5 ZO6 pretty soon was trying to sell the truck for a f body but just figured why not just save up and buy the vette
Old 06-05-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

i have true duals, and my car doesnt sound like a vette?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 13lu91rS
Yea exactly what i mean, Im not trying to say anybody is "wrong" but there are some TD set ups for f bodies that go under or even, if you can fit them, over the axle and all the way out the back. Granted it be custom and take alot of work
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

mine end under the back seats
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Oh man haha thats how i wanted mine to be when i was gonna buy one. Long tubes with x pipe with two dynomax bullet mufflers dumped. Sex on wheels
Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford17
Thanks man i was waitin for that

And to V-seriesTech: (since i dont know how to quote more than one person in a single reply lol) thanks for all that, im pretty confident its all in the bends and design and such now. And i think i know what your talking about when you say the triangular things. I think i saw them in a JEGS magazine i have a long time ago? If im not mistaken. Their suppost to help with flow or something i cant remember. But yea, im just most interested because im hoping to get a C5 ZO6 pretty soon was trying to sell the truck for a f body but just figured why not just save up and buy the vette

No problem man. To multi quote somebody, use the little multiquote box next to the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of each persons post. Click that before you "QUOTE" anybody,....the last person you want to end with,.."QUOTE" them.

I think you'd be really stoked if you had a C5 Z. They really are sick cars, even bone stock. They're pretty easy to modify for almost anyone too. DO IT!

Originally Posted by 13lu91rS

But you have dumps,.. if you had tailpipes,..it would probably sound similar. But what mufflers are you useing? Mufflers have a huge effect. Chambered, striaght through,..how much packing. Dumps,..make everything sound different,..kinda unique,...as in alot of cars that have dumps, all sound kinda similar, regardless of powerplant....from what I have heard anyways.

[QUOTE=V-seriesTech;13420391]

If you put true duals on an F body,.. with an X pipe, and true dual bullet mufflers,.. it'll sound just like a vette,.. however, the F body drivetrain, doesn't REALLY allow for a bolt on TRUE dual system with TAIL PIPES. Which, tail pipes, have ALOT TO DO WITH SOUND. We don't hear too many vettes with dumps. Dumps,..are quiet in comparison to a car that has the same mufflers and tailpipes. Anyways,...I think KOOKS made a true dual one off system for an f body once or twice... looked good, never heard a sound clip but,..I bet out sounds similar to a vette.

QUOTE]

I guess I did kinda make that sound a little cunfusing. I ment with tail pipes,..the car would sound similar to the vette with true dual bullet mufflers and tailpipes.

I have dumps on my car right now with only the turbos to quiet it down. I do like it but, I have always wanted/liked tail pipes on my car and others. So when I can, I will add two more V bands to my existing system, then add a custom made tail pipe setup that exits out the back. I think the sound will be better for my preferences. No doubt the car will be louder on the outside too I think.

currently my catback-

Heres mufflers I recommend if you want something "BULLET" loud. They're soo small,..soo unrestrictive, you could add several in line. I recently worked on a 2010 CTS-V,..we modded it with a catback, and it ended up being too loud, so instead of crapping a 900 dollar system, we ended up addeding two magnaflow round bullet mufflers, about 18inchs each, straight through, so it shouldn't disrupt flow,... and it toned the car down nicely enough to make it very liveable for an older man,...x hot rodder and his wife to cruise with windows down.

You can really make an exhaust sound the way you want it to with a pen and paper...and some trial and error.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Oh okay i see what you mean by the multi quote, gonna be stoked? Hell im already stoked! and dont really need new mufflers, already got 2 dynomax bullet style mufflers sittin in the garage

Quick Reply: Why the sound difference in C5 and F-body?