Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

so my c5 had a shitfit last night...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so my c5 had a shitfit last night...

So I went to move the 02 c5 last night, and the battery was dead. I had the car running earlier, but had to jump it because i let it sit for too long and the batt. died. Soooo I jump it again, and the revs kick up to like 1500rpms, the car sounds a bit funny. I hop in and it's saying service this, service that, reduced engine power, and i could only go about 10mph around the neighborhood...WTF???
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say disconnect the battery, install a new one, and your probs should go away. A lot of false codes happen when the battery is too weak. I was suffering from a service steering column message (induced when the column lock is bad or when the battery is too weak to fully operate the locking pin) when I got my car out of storage. I let the car run until the battery was fully charged, disconnected it, went to the store and when I returned connected the terminals and everything was fine. Try it and let me know if it works. Easy fixes that are cheap are best. GM stealership told me to expect 500 to 2000 for my issues that I did for free. Wouldn't honor a free inspection considering the car had already been in under recall. GM is great in many ways but they suck when it comes to repairs. Stealerships SUCK.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clear the codes through the DIC or unplug the battery for 5-10 minutes to reset it. After a premature battery death, I run a $20 battery tender on mine. Well worth it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

will do. tonight ill let it run for a bit. just letting it idle will recharge the batt right? i dont have to drive it anywhere? plus on top of that im nearly out of gas and cant take the car on the road cuz its not on normal insurance
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I had the same issues as yours the exact same issues. Your battery can't hold a charge and/or lost a cell. Just go spend the $70-80 bucks and get a new battery and you will be gtg.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

I recently had similar issues.... the car started telling me to service the ABS, service the active handling system, service ...... blah .... i noticed that my battery voltage was low and that the battery couldn't hold enough juice to put teh windows down... turned out that the alternator took a crap, and destroyed a cell in the battery while it was at it..... got the Alt rebuilt and a new battery and all is well...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

The C5 Corvettes use a network for the computers that talk to each other. The systems must come up in order otherwise you get everything from SERVICE ABS errors that won't stop, to a car that just won't start period, to a car with no dash lights, I have seen it all. There is no way to recover from the odd behavior other than disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and then connecting it back up (provided it is a good battery) and leaving the car alone for at least 10 minutes. This allows all the computer systems to come up in order and talk to each other.

I always disconnect my battery and charge it and then connect it back up.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pauls416Z
The C5 Corvettes use a network for the computers that talk to each other. The systems must come up in order otherwise you get everything from SERVICE ABS errors that won't stop, to a car that just won't start period, to a car with no dash lights, I have seen it all. There is no way to recover from the odd behavior other than disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and then connecting it back up (provided it is a good battery) and leaving the car alone for at least 10 minutes. This allows all the computer systems to come up in order and talk to each other.

I always disconnect my battery and charge it and then connect it back up.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: so my c5 had a shitfit last night...