Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 years differences !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation C5 years differences !!!

what are the majore differences that I should be considering before buying a c5 ?

'98-'04

I know some , '01 comes with digital screen , ls6 intake .

but I don't know about other things ...engine ? interior ? suspension ?

I'm searching for a c5 but unfortunately I don't have too much options here since I can't import 5 years old car from outside my country (stupid law) ..
Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Considering everything I say nothing before 02 C5 or an 01 C5 ZO6. This has to do with internals. The internals are a lot stronger and can with stand a lot more. I am running an N20 set up and all on a 100K plus stock bottom end LS1. The 02 C5 have better rod bolts and you can spin them as high as 7K rpms with no issues. Now I would not do that all the time.

My set up is done to shift at 6800 rpm @ WOT 7K redline and my tps/ws is set to 6600 rpm for my N20 shot.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mohammed
what are the majore differences that I should be considering before buying a c5 ?

'98-'04

I know some , '01 comes with digital screen , ls6 intake .

but I don't know about other things ...engine ? interior ? suspension ?

I'm searching for a c5 but unfortunately I don't have too much options here since I can't import 5 years old car from outside my country (stupid law) ..
Just look at a 02 are newer. All have same motor unless it is a Z06. Then the suspension the better or upgrade is if it had the z51 and it also had the better brakes upgrade with the z51.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll go through the changes I can recall.

97-98 no big changes other than fixes to the initial design (weather stripping etc)

99-00 Center bolt valve covers/heads introduced. PCM design changed, more parameters (better for tuning). HUD is introduced. Active Handling is introduced (cornering assist). FRC body style is introduced (Z51 suspension, 6spd mandatory).

01-04 Active Handling improved. 85mm MAF. Ribs added to rear differential for strength. Torque tube diameter increased. LS6 intake (power increased on base models to 350 vs. 345). Z06 option debuts in '01 with 385hp, power increased to 405hp on '02-'04 models.

Notable Options:
Z51 - Available on all models (except Z06). Standard on FRC C5's. Featured a power steering cooler, better sway bars, better shocks, and stiffer leaf springs.

Z06 - featured better flowing cylinder heads (260CFM vs. 230CFM), a more aggressive camshaft, titanium over axle exhaust, lighter wheels, a lower geared transmission (code M12) and a lighter windshield. Only available on the FRC body style. Weight savings of 110-130lbs vs. the average coupe. Z06 specific suspension (which had a slightly bigger front sway bar and slightly stiffer rear spring vs. the Z51). The Z06 package saw a bump in power after its first model year due to a cam change. The Z06 shocks were revised over its run with the '04 shocks being the best.

Notes:

-All C5's had the same brakes for all years. Braking distances vary depending on tires. The only difference Z06 brakes feature are the red caliper finish.

-The base suspension (FE1) is built for ride comfort and offers surprisingly poor handling considering the car it's installed on.

-C5 automatics came with 2 available ratios. A 2.73 and 3.15. The 2.73 rear end hampers acceleration to the point where the car runs high 13's. The 3.15 carries option code G90.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
I'll go through the changes I can recall.

97-98 no big changes other than fixes to the initial design (weather stripping etc)

99-00 Center bolt valve covers/heads introduced. PCM design changed, more parameters (better for tuning). HUD is introduced. Active Handling is introduced (cornering assist). FRC body style is introduced (Z51 suspension, 6spd mandatory).

01-04 Active Handling improved. 85mm MAF. Ribs added to rear differential for strength. Torque tube diameter increased. LS6 intake (power increased on base models to 350 vs. 345). Z06 option debuts in '01 with 385hp, power increased to 405hp on '02-'04 models.

Notable Options:
Z51 - Available on all models (except Z06). Standard on FRC C5's. Featured a power steering cooler, better sway bars, better shocks, and stiffer leaf springs.

Z06 - featured better flowing cylinder heads (260CFM vs. 230CFM), a more aggressive camshaft, titanium over axle exhaust, lighter wheels, a lower geared transmission (code M12) and a lighter windshield. Only available on the FRC body style. Weight savings of 110-130lbs vs. the average coupe. Z06 specific suspension (which had a slightly bigger front sway bar and slightly stiffer rear spring vs. the Z51). The Z06 package saw a bump in power after its first model year due to a cam change. The Z06 shocks were revised over its run with the '04 shocks being the best.

Notes:

-All C5's had the same brakes for all years. Braking distances vary depending on tires. The only difference Z06 brakes feature are the red caliper finish.

-The base suspension (FE1) is built for ride comfort and offers surprisingly poor handling considering the car it's installed on.

-C5 automatics came with 2 available ratios. A 2.73 and 3.15. The 2.73 rear end hampers acceleration to the point where the car runs high 13's. The 3.15 carries option code G90.
Nice post 99C5JA! Good info for sure.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go tho, hey 99C5JA, the brakes did get upgraded on z06 models, larger rotors...

1998 Chevrolet Corvette: Big news for Corvette fans was the arrival of a convertible to join the initial fifth-generation coupe. Chevrolet's designers had engineered the latest Corvette to accommodate a convertible body with no additional structural bracing. Convertibles were expected to account for about 45 percent of sales. They were equipped with a manual folding top, containing a glass rear window and defroster. Not since 1962 had a convertible Corvette been sold with a traditional trunk. Magnesium wheels joined the option list, and the engine was revised to quiet the fuel pump. This year's Corvette also got a provision for the automatic transmission to start in second gear, for cleaner getaways on slippery surfaces.

1999 Chevrolet Corvette: A new hardtop body style joined the removable-roof coupe and the convertible. Not available with some of the new options, the hardtop weighed about 90 pounds less than its mates and shared the convertible's trunk. Hardtops came only with 6-speed manual shift and the sport-tuned Z51 suspension. Other models could have the standard suspension or an optional driver-adjustable setup with soft, medium, and firm settings. Among the options unavailable on the hardtop were a head-up display that projected instrument-panel readouts into the windshield, and a power-telescoping steering wheel. All models could have an optional Active Handling chassis control, which used the brakes to keep the car on line during severe cornering maneuvers.

2000 Chevrolet Corvette: The base-model fixed-roof hardtop gained some standard equipment for 2000, including visor mirrors and a remote trunk release. Hardtops could now be equipped with the optional head-up instrument display, as well as dual-zone climate control, fog lamps, and magnesium wheels.

2001 Chevrolet Corvette: Corvette gained an extreme-performance variant for 2001, and all models got standard antiskid control. The coupe was renamed Z06 and given special performance tuning including additional horsepower, upgraded suspension, and larger brakes.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette: The Z06 model got 405 horsepower for 2002--up 20 hp from '01. It now came with the head-up instrument display that was optional on other 'Vettes, plus revisions to its unique chassis tuning. Other models were no longer available with magnesium wheels, and a CD player replaced the cassette deck as standard equipment.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette: All '03 Corvettes wear 50th anniversary insignia. The convertible and hatchback offered a 50th Anniversary Special Edition Package (1SC) with red paint, champagne-colored wheels, and unique trim and badging. Available for the convertible and hatchback and included in the Anniversary package was new Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

2004 Chevrolet Corvette: Trim packages commemorating racing Corvette's are the main additions to the '04 Corvette.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Here you go tho, hey 99C5JA, the brakes did get upgraded on z06 models, larger rotors...
Not to my knowledge. A quick check on various parts lists does not show a separate rotor for the Z06. The Z06 also does not use a different caliper bracket from what I can tell, which it would need for larger diameter rotors.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

thanks all , good info 99c5ja

I found a white '98 , $12500 . good condition , auto . is it worth ?

I'm not thinking to buy it , I think I'll search for '99 and newer . just wondering if the price is fine !!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brakes are the same on the C5 Z06. Only difference is powder coated calipers (same other than the coating) and had a more aggressive pad. Rotors are identical Same rotor 97-2004 all models. Do a parts interchange lookup.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Teching In

97 -98 had return gas lines as the 99 up didnt !!

Quick Reply: C5 years differences !!!