C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Possiable twin turbo v6 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possiable twin turbo v6 corvette

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/corvette-...60th-2996.html

So i just read this and wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. Me personally i dont really like the idea i think its good that gm is trying to move foward but i do believe they can make the lsx platform more efficient. With todays technology like direct injection and vvt i dont see why they cant make a v8 that has lower emissions and get good mpgs. A 505hp 427 zo6 can get upwards of 30 mpg on the highway so to me thats pretty dam good, how many other cars that are that fast can do that. So maybe if they but some more time into the lsx v8 engine and design a new automatic transmission like the gtr and porsches have they could hit the mpg and emssions goals. I just wouldnt want to buy a corvette without a v8 and dont really care how fast the v6 tt could be but thats just me. So what do you think?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure why they can't use the cylinder deactivation on the v8's to achieve that mileage on the expressway along with maybe a extra overdrive gear. My 02 C5Z has gotten 35mpg on the expressway more than a few times and 30 mpg with a big cam. I wouldn't buy a TT v6 corvette, then again the C6Z will be the car I buy anyways. I will have to say with the 2016 mileage demands coming up, these next few years you will see some of the best/fastest cars, till the end.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

possible
Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

I think a V6 is too far of a departure for the main Vette customer base to handle, and could be viewed as a nod to the arch rival 911.

I'd bet it will likely have naturally aspirated (base) & twin turbo (Z06/ZR1) versions of a smaller displacement OHV V8, likely the new DI 5.5L.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard the rumors, but I really don't believe them. GM themselves have already said that they're going to use a 5.5L V8 making 450HP as their next base motor.

GM wouldn't be stupid enough to drop a V6 in the Vette. There's a thread on the Vette forums about "what is the most important feature to see on the next Vette", and of course there are a bunch of idiots asking for the turbo V6 and AWD... Even some stupid ***** asking for mid-engine.

I wish these people already knew that these cars already exist and they don't have to **** up the Corvette to get what they want.

Some guy said "I want a twin turbo V6 with AWD"... I pointed him to the Nissan GTR website and told him to get off the Vette forums. Another guy said he wanted a mid engine Corvette, so I pointed him to the Ferrari website.

None of these guys realize that mid engine is not better and they think AWD is better because you can launch faster... Learn to ******* drive!!! The fastest cars under 1 million dollars are RWD!

You want to see a bunch of Corvette guys ask for a bunch of anti-corvette features? Check this thread out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...on-the-c7.html

Un-*******-believable.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I've heard the rumors, but I really don't believe them. GM themselves have already said that they're going to use a 5.5L V8 making 450HP as their next base motor.

GM wouldn't be stupid enough to drop a V6 in the Vette. There's a thread on the Vette forums about "what is the most important feature to see on the next Vette", and of course there are a bunch of idiots asking for the turbo V6 and AWD... Even some stupid ***** asking for mid-engine.

I wish these people already knew that these cars already exist and they don't have to **** up the Corvette to get what they want.

Some guy said "I want a twin turbo V6 with AWD"... I pointed him to the Nissan GTR website and told him to get off the Vette forums. Another guy said he wanted a mid engine Corvette, so I pointed him to the Ferrari website.

None of these guys realize that mid engine is not better and they think AWD is better because you can launch faster... Learn to ******* drive!!! The fastest cars under 1 million dollars are RWD!

You want to see a bunch of Corvette guys ask for a bunch of anti-corvette features? Check this thread out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...on-the-c7.html

Un-*******-believable.
those corvette guys are guys that want exotic cars on a corvette budget.

That's the only reason they are asking for it.

The deactivation process I heard was awful, and the switch is bad when it goes from 4 to 8 cylinders...

I just don't think they will make the 427 in all the cars since they are hand made...

GM will come up with a way to keep a v8 in the corvette. Just because they went **** up, doesn't mean they are a crappy company. Hello, z06, zr1, cts-v yeah buddy! GO GM!!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly, but a mid-engine, AWD, TTV6 Corvette would cost MORE than our current Corvettes by a LONG shot. And they'd be slower to boot.

Someone asking for AWD in a Corvette is just a ***** that can't drive. I can't drive my car nearly to it's potential and even I think AWD would be a ***** move. Learn to ******* drive.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Exactly, but a mid-engine, AWD, TTV6 Corvette would cost MORE than our current Corvettes by a LONG shot. And they'd be slower to boot.

Someone asking for AWD in a Corvette is just a ***** that can't drive. I can't drive my car nearly to it's potential and even I think AWD would be a ***** move. Learn to ******* drive.
pretty much yes.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they wont....But just say gm did put a v6 of some sort in the new vettes....Not only would i not buy the piece of **** i would get rid of all my corvettes....There is noway thats happening anytime soon....Only v6 i would ever have is a Grand National!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

It's all about Government Motors now fellas
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
It's all about Government Motors now fellas
The government has nothing to do with the current decisions of what will happen with the Vette. The only thing the government did (thankfully) was put a stop to the mid-engine design... for now.

I hope they scrap that idea. All the other stupid ideas like the TTV6 were just up in the air and GM will likely not do this at all. The only way a 6cyl would be acceptable is if they started building the '53 and '54 Vettes again and those were straight sixes.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know where people get this info from, but its all *** backwards.
A TT V6 Corvette would be heaver, much more expensive, complicated and potentially get worse gas mileage.
The Porsche 911 Turbo with a 7 speed tranny still doesn't match the C6 Z06s gas mileage and still makes less power in a much more expensive and heavy package.
With all this talk about a TT V6 getting better (or even matching) the gas mileage the Corvette gets I have yet to see it be done.

Heres an LS2 next to a VQ35 (a 3.5L OHC V6)

Now imagine the turbos, piping and intercooler(s). Why would GM go with a bigger, heavier, more complicated engine that doesn't deliver results?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
A TT V6 Corvette would be heaver, much more expensive, complicated and potentially get worse gas mileage.
The Porsche 911 Turbo with a 7 speed tranny still doesn't match the C6 Z06s gas mileage and still makes less power in a much more expensive and heavy package.
With all this talk about a TT V6 getting better (or even matching) the gas mileage the Corvette gets I have yet to see it be done.

Now imagine the turbos, piping and intercooler(s). Why would GM go with a bigger, heavier, more complicated engine that doesn't deliver results?
That is a thing of beauty isnt it....wow.... sorry your right! lol
Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

EXACTLY!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Going TTV6 is only going suck ***** in every single aspect compared to even an LS1 for that matter.

There's no way that GM is going to add cost, weight and complexity to the Corvette when they're goals they've made publicly clear are to lower the weight of the Corvette and push for better economy. Even they know that the TT V6s have crappy economy.

The reason why LSx motors have great economy is because they make lots of torque down low. It's that reason they can be geared to push the car at highway speeds while remaining in the low RPMs. I cruise on the freeway at 75MPH below 2000RPM. I don't know a single V6 that can do that. And TT will make it worse because you'll need to spool the turbo a boost down low to make that kind of torque. That totally defeats the purpose.

The reason GM is going with a 5.5L is because they make plenty of torque even at that displacement (think 5.3L LM7) and they'll still make 450BHP! They're going to use direct injection and this motor is going to be REALLY light. I bet they're going to get 35-36MPG out of this upcoming Corvette.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

look at all the cars that beat the corvettes.

pretty sure most are v8, v10, v12, v16, biggers is better ha ha ha!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sadly, the Vette is still beating those guys too. Cars under $300k are still not really beating the ZR1. Stock for stock, the ZR1 V8 is still going to whoop. Smaller package to make 640HP as compared to Lambo's retardedly huge V12 that makes 670HP.

Looking at the Nurburgring top lap speeds, the Corvette ZR1 is whooping so much ***, it's scary. The Viper ACR is currently beating the ZR1, but those cars are about on par other than the fact that the Viper has less creature comforts.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Sadly, the Vette is still beating those guys too. Cars under $300k are still not really beating the ZR1. Stock for stock, the ZR1 V8 is still going to whoop. Smaller package to make 640HP as compared to Lambo's retardedly huge V12 that makes 670HP.

Looking at the Nurburgring top lap speeds, the Corvette ZR1 is whooping so much ***, it's scary. The Viper ACR is currently beating the ZR1, but those cars are about on par other than the fact that the Viper has less creature comforts.
Yeah and if you need to....pully that bitch I have actually been thinking about buying a used 2009 zr1 or 2009 viper....Used zr1's are all aroun 100k while vipers are easily 65-75 k with low low miles...Im really debating on what i want...I did find a 2009 jetstream blue zr1 on autotrader with 17k on it for 76,000 but i mean those things are really holding strong...Tuff decision if you ask me.....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

the zr1/z06 are the best bang for your buck IMO. I mean the zr1 will beat just about anything under a half million and the z06 will beat most cars under 250-300k. Where the exotics beat the gm's is the fit/finish/interior. but hey, you get what you paid for you konw?

Now if GM would just come out with a DCT!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a Cyber Gray ZR1 on the West Palm Beach, FL CL for $79k at a dealership. I think it had 23k miles on it. FWIW the ZR1 beat the Viper SRT10 on the Supercar Challenge. If I got a Viper, it'd be an ACR as a track toy, don't think it could be used for much more.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The reason GM is going with a 5.5L is because they make plenty of torque even at that displacement (think 5.3L LM7) and they'll still make 450BHP! They're going to use direct injection and this motor is going to be REALLY light. I bet they're going to get 35-36MPG out of this upcoming Corvette.
I've heard rumors of the 5.5L V8 based off the now race version 5.5L V8, but Ive also read rumors from supposed reliable sources that it will remain 6.2L and use direct injection.
Honestly I think the more logical approach would be making the car a little smaller, and lighter (lighter wheels and brakes, lighter suspension, possibly thinner windshield and rear glass or using some kind of plexiglass, lighter drivetrain etc.) and more aerodynamic. Also offering an optional 7 or 8 speed dual clutch tranny for better gas mileage.
Making the car lighter will benefit performance in every direction and achieve better gas mileage at the same time. Then they also don't have to concentrate on making more power (and possibly hurting gas mileage).

Quick Reply: Possiable twin turbo v6 corvette