Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Just got my first Z06! Im Amazed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first Z06! Im Amazed!

So, I had a Trans Am and have been wanting a Z06 for a long time- I had a 98 Coupe 6 speed a few years ago and have always wanted to step up to a Z06. I flew from North Dakota to Las Vegas, then Las Vegas to Stockton all by Allegiant Air. A friend and I had a driver take us from Stockton to Sacramento and we picked up the car and took off. The drive back to North Dakota took us about 23 hours and it was a blast. We averaged 29 MPG doing 80-82 with the AC on. So, now a little about the car- Its a Quicksilver 2003 Z06 etc. I just cannot believe how amazing this car is. It feels like it has just an amazing amount of power its sickening. It just pulls you in the seat so hard and hooks up amazing. Its like night and day compared to my bolt on Trans Am. Ive never been so excited about a car! Im very impressed with what this car can do stock and I cannot wait to pick out an Intake and Long Tubes with an X-pipe. I just had to rant and rant about my 'new' Z06. Ill try to get some pics up even though It looks like every other QS Z. Im gunna go and take the side moldings off now and take it for another cruise!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrates! I went from a bolt on ws6 myself to a 02 silver Z06. Do full bolt ons and get it tuned. That will really wake the car up.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Haha the car already feels like its woken up! Im just loving the second gear drop at 30-35 its nasty! Im thinking about doing the 'zip tie mod' over an expensive intake....Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ive heard 10-15 rwhp. Is it even worth buying an intake or not?? Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Congrats... I just got mine a bout 2 months ago. they are amazing !
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Congratulations !

I like my Z06 better than the day I bought it

vettetrick.com
Bon
Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

wow you travelled a long way! congrats on the purchase!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats... Going from an F-Body to a Corvette (especially a Z06) is like an enlightenment. F-body guys never really know what a difference there really is between the cars until the own one. You can only really spread the gospel and hope they listen!

Enjoy her in good health!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Launching!

i couldn't believe the differences between my z06 and the camaro. The z06 is a completely different animal.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Congrats... Going from an F-Body to a Corvette (especially a Z06) is like an enlightenment. F-body guys never really know what a difference there really is between the cars until the own one
I had two f-bodies and the handling difference is amazing. These cars were designed for the road course.

Seats suck tho. I'm almost to the point where I'd get seats over a supercharger kit.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

LOL i love it when i read stories like this. I too had made the change a few years ago. You stand corrected. Its a huge difference. Handling, power, whole 9yards. Yes the intake does make a difference. But than again i have vararam. IF you think its quick now wait til you get CAI, full exhaust and a tune
Old 08-26-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ysb02
I had two f-bodies and the handling difference is amazing. These cars were designed for the road course.

Seats suck tho. I'm almost to the point where I'd get seats over a supercharger kit.
Yeah. I agree. My girlfriend told me to get new seats which is just enough motivation for me to go out and get better seats. I thought they'd be more comfy for her, but looks like I'm going to either get some A4s or the C6Z seats.

Blower is good, but if you plan to track the car I recommend you hold off for a while before you put a blower on the car and just learn its capabilities. Most people can't drive the Z06 to 50% of its capabilities for a while until they learn to really drive the car. The blower is going to throw the weight balance off as well. Coming from someone that tracks their car often, they told me that they regret putting a blower on their car and they wish they'd just gone heads/cam.

Originally Posted by SStheBest
LOL i love it when i read stories like this. I too had made the change a few years ago. You stand corrected. Its a huge difference. Handling, power, whole 9yards. Yes the intake does make a difference. But than again i have vararam. IF you think its quick now wait til you get CAI, full exhaust and a tune
Yep. I did the Vararam too and it made a HUGE difference. Especially after getting the AFR fixed.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt put a free varaam on a C5, ever.

The zip tie is worth the power and its easy. Here is my old sled with kooks and zip tie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pQfU0WSBQ
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speed Density
I wouldnt put a free varaam on a C5, ever.

The zip tie is worth the power and its easy. Here is my old sled with kooks and zip tie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1pQfU0WSBQ
lol what happened? You decide to let out and start over?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dyno wasnt loaded at first. Then it kicked in.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just curious, what is the zip tie mod? and how do you do it?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Just curious, what is the zip tie mod? and how do you do it?
i think there is a sticky...but if not ...and IF for some reason you cant find it here. Go to CorvetteForum. Youll DEFINATELY find it there. It basicly (from my understanding) makes the sloppy stock air box a more tight fit.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Congrats and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car. And I would recommend when getting headers go big and get the 1 7/8 forget all the bull crap you hear on here about lositing low end torque and what not. And the zip-tie mod takes the top of the air box's off letting in more air (the stock one is very restrictive) and since your air filter won't stay in place b/c you took the top of the box off and you cant use the metal bands anymore you use zip-ties to hold it in place. I did it when I first had it and liked it but I like my Vararam better now just got to watch out for puddles. I was going to go with the Callaway but they were back ordered for 2 months so I gave up and just went with the Vararam.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just went from a 98 Trans Am to a 2002 Z06 too! I had a 2000 WS6 as well and there is NO COMPARISON, I would never go back before I test drove a Z06 I didn't think there would be much difference but I was way wrong when I went a test drove one I was sold and I was considering getting a 03/04 cobra but didn't bother test driving one after I drove a Z.

I picked mine up for 15.5k with 77k on it, I ran a 12.3 @ 116 bone stock on street tires! I'm planning on 11's with my Vararam and DR's.

The zip tie mod is where you remove the intake cover off and just zip tie the filter directly to the box, I have it done on mine and I am upgrading to a Vararam because when I wash my car my filter gets soaked because the water leaks onto it, but it is a simple and quick mod it took me like 5 minutes to do.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do the zip-tie mod, you'll need to hood seal too.

The zip-tie mod isn't bad, but I've definitely picked up more with the Vararam.

Quick Reply: Just got my first Z06! Im Amazed!