Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need help on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on a cam

I'm going to be getting a corvette soon and its gonna be a c5 prolly year round 2000-2001. It will be an auto. Now what I am wondering is what type of cam to get? Either a magic stick or T-Rex cam I'm going to do a head and cam package probably. I don't want something massively aggressive. Somewhere right around 400 RWHP. And I still want to pass emissions. Retain street drivability. Going to have stock gearing in it and stock converter. What i am also wondering does a head and cam package effect the life of the motor? I will have nittos on the car, Headers and a catback exhaust. So prolly 420-440 RWHP with the headers and catback. Would i have to get a different rearend? or trans? I am new with cams and heads, had a 2000 procharged trans am and want to take the route of a heads and cam. Does temperature increase? do i need new valvesprings? rockers? lifters? timing chain? ect..

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

T-rex FTW!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my TREX going in this weekended. I will post videos once it's done. And yes for these cams you will need valve-springs, timing chain ect, ect. But for you I would not recommend these cams as they are very aggressive and require higher gearing (you will see a lot of bucking and surging with stock gears and no stall). But if you looking for a off the shelf cam I would recommend these.

224R
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=166&catid=44

228R
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=167&catid=44

I chose this for my cam swap.

PRC .650" Dual Spring Kit w/ seats. seals and retainers. LS2 Timing Chain, SLP 25% Under-Drive Pully, this is good to do since you have to take the stock one off but it's not necessary. ARP Harmonic Balancer Bolt, TSP 7.400 Chromemoly Pushrods and a GM gasket kit. Melling Performance Oil Pump (MEL10296) and 160* T-Stat. All of this cost around $800.00. You do not have to do some of these but I always recommend this to people when doing cam swaps. If you gonna do it do it right the first time so you don't turn into a LS1Tech horror story b/c you wanted to cheap out.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't even bother with a cam unless I was going to stall it. Waste of time imo. Some of those autos have ridiculously tall gearing.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

You need to be carefull on the size of the cam without a stall and gears

Quick Reply: Need help on a cam