Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Is There Any Write Up's On How To Install The Raptor Shift Light In The A/C Vent?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is There Any Write Up's On How To Install The Raptor Shift Light In The A/C Vent?

I just got my raptor shift light and I am wanting to hide it in the middle A/C vent and was wondering if anyone has a write up on what I need to remove to do this or the best way to go about this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like to know this also..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this one back...

I have the Proform shift light, and it's pretty large. Much too large to put in the defroster vent on the A-pillar. I'd like to stick it in the center A/C vent of my 02 T/A, and some guidance from those who have done this before would be great.

Getting the vents out was easy. It looks like the best option would be to mount the light in the duct work that leads to the three vents in the dash. My hands are too big to fit through the vent holes, so it looks like I'd have to remove the piece of duct work above the radio so I can install the light with the ducting on the bench. Once the light is mounted, I can re-install the duct.

Is that how most folks are doing it, or are you guys just sticking the lights in the duct work with vel-cro or something? I'd rather use real hardware to mount the light, but if removing the duct is a giant pain in the ***, vel-cro will probably cut it.

Last edited by neat; 08-10-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't sleep and went out there and did it tonight...

The Proform light is big, too big to fit in the center vent on the Firebird without stripping all of the mounting hardware off. With all the hardware off, the light will sit in the back of the duct, aimed at the left (drivers side) of the three vents. I used a rubber coated clamp around the light to hold the light in place. The rubberized clamp has a bolt hole as an attachment point. By taking out the radio I was able to use a machine screw and a nut up through the bottom of the duct to secure the clamp/light assembly.

I have a small right angle drill, and even with that it was impossible to get into the radio opening to drill a hole for the mounting clamp. I ended up taking a 2 inch phillips screwdriver and grinding the end into a point. With that, I was able to get a small pilot hole poked into the duct above the radio. I was able to thread a machine screw through that hole and then through the hole in the clamp. I used an extendable pen magnet to set the nut on top the screw, and then tightened the nut/screw to secure the light/clamp assembly.

All in all, I'm please with the installation - and I'm glad I didn't have to remove the duct work to install the light.

The light works great, and I'm kicking myself for not installing one years ago.

Quick Reply: Is There Any Write Up's On How To Install The Raptor Shift Light In The A/C Vent?