C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Breaking Half Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking Half Shafts

Hey,

Obviously I'm new to this forum, but I have developed a stub axle that mates a Corvette hub, I'm currently using SKF 5049s, to a GKN "930" CV.

I am doing this by manufacturing a conversion stub axle out of 300M. It's an expensive part that I use for my racing program, and I would like to know if anyone that is reading this may have a use for this item?

It's probably against the rules to advertise an item on here without being a vendor, and as such I won't mention how much they are, who I am, or where you can find these. All I really want to know is if there is sufficient interest here to take any further steps.

I use this part to mate up to a sequential transaxle in a GM powered prototype car, but am considering making replacement Corvette inner flanges as well if there is a market for this.

Is there really any issue with axle breakage under racing conditions for Vettes? If so I could easily go to a larger 934 type CV with basically 300M material in all flanges and axles that would be good to 1000+ HP if space allows and, again, if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The most common failure for C5s is the stub shafts inside the differential. I broke one at the dragstrip, and it also took out the CV joint on the same side. The common perception is that the C5 Z06 has the strongest shafts of all C5s and C6s. If you can make a CV shaft that is stronger, there should be a lot of interest. There are several forced induction Corvette guys running 1000+ whp, and I know they have trouble with all aspects of the drivetrain. I suggest you also post in the CF forced induction threads.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your response. Yes I have noticed the "others" selling upgraded output shafting.

Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Driveshaft Company currently makes a competing products to yours.

Typically, the stock half shafts last up to around 800 RWHP, after that it's luck. Not too many vettes out their exceeding the limits of the stock half shafts.

Most guys blow up the differentials or transmissions first.

Quick Reply: Breaking Half Shafts