Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Upgraded to a c6z from c5z, impressions [long]

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgraded to a c6z from c5z, impressions [long]

So I traded in my black on black 2003 c5 z06 for a black on black (with some red touches on the interior, e.g. side bolsters, shift **** and boot) 2007 c6 z06. I thought I'd post some photos and give some impressions.

First of all here are some photos:
http://gallery.me.com/joejunior1984#...r=black&sel=18

And here are my impressions. The elevator version: the car doesn't feel as much as a race car as my c5z, but you can definitely tell it has 100 more hp. It feels like a more powerful, way more comfortable, modern, refined c5z.

1. Ride quality

The c6z rides noticeably smoother than my c5z. It's like two completely different cars. The c5z feels like more of a raw race car, but the c6z feels just like a normal car [well any normal car with a stiff suspension and 505hp that rides a few inches from the ground]. That's the best I can describe it.

2. Handling

The c6z definitely handles better than the c5z, but I'm not sure how much better. Part of this is the fact that the c6z has more grip, with its 325's in the rear vs my 295's on the c5z. I'm pretty sure the fronts are the same 275's, so the front grip is about the same.

The whole car feels wider and you can tell when you turn. The c5z turned corners more sharply IMHO and felt narrower. The c6z takes a longer radius around corners and I almost curbed the car the first time I took a slow corner in an outside lane because the car tracked wider than I expected it to.

The g-meter is nice in the HUD and I've managed to pull a g doing a couple of things. I haven't done anything to make the car roll yet. I haven't even made the rear tires break loose a little in a turn, and my c5z would definitely break loose in some of the turns I take at speed [on the way to work > ]. Perhaps some of that is traction control and less raw suspension. Perhaps some of that is more traction in the rear. Perhaps if it has taller gearing, then that's part of the reason.

3. Steering

There's no doubt the car is more comfortable to steer in daily driving conditions. However, the c5z's steering felt better to me, because I felt more feedback in the wheel than the c6z therefore I knew what the road was doing better and more so what the car was feeling through the wheel. I get less feedback in the c6z for some reason. Feedback is good. Race cars should have feedback. But this isn't a race car so I can't say it's a bad thing. It just feels a little clumsier to me than my c5z is all.

4. Gearing

The c6z feels like it's geared slightly taller than my c5z. Perhaps this is part of the reason it doesn't feel as raw to me. This makes first gear more usable in daily driving conditions, as it was fairly useless in my c5z. At highway speeds the car doesn't feel like I'm going as fast as I am than the same speed in my c5z.

5. Noise

The car is noticeably quiet. My c5z was loud, even stock, and this c6z is barely even audible except at WOT. The sound of the engine is deeper, more bass, a lower rumble.

6. Power, traction, and gas mileage

It has more power. Yep. Passengers who have ridden in it tell me the damn thing just never stops pulling. The 7000rpm LS7 7.0L engine helps a little with that. I found myself shifting around 6500rpm for a while, and I was shocked to discover that the car simply keeps on pulling well past the 6500rpm of the c5z and to the 7k redline of the c6z. It's like the big-cubes vtec kicks in around then too.

In traffic, I just keep it in 6th gear. I can pass any car without problem in 6th gear, whether they intend for me to pass or not. 5th gear is reserved for scaring old ladies and nuns.

The car hooks up very well. If I dead leg it in first gear with traction control off, yes it will spin. If I ease into it in first gear with competitive driving mode on, it will spin around 4000rpm or so but eventually hook. The thing really pulls. It definitely feels faster than the c5z. As a driver though, it's hard to tell the difference between the two cars in raw speed. The only thing you really notice is how much more torque it has. I mean it really has globs and globs of torque. That's part of what makes it so damn smooth.

After I got over my period of babying the car for a few weeks, and after I got over my period of stomping on it for a few days [NASCAR race weekend here in Texas >:-)], I got a measure on the gas mileage. I do a lot of highway driving [20 miles each way to work]. I see about 18.9 mpg average, and that's driving at an average speed of 85mph. That's about a 1mpg drop from my c5z, so not too bad for an extra 100hp.

7. Comfort

This is the most comfortable sports car I've ever ridden in. I daily drive my c5z and it was very uncomfortable. I don't feel that way in my c6z. It might as well not even by a vette. I get comments from my passengers about how smooth it is. It has magic shocks. Anything that can handle like this car but still ride smoothly down the rode is pure wizardry.

8. Price

I paid about $45k for this car. After trade-in for my 03 c5z (w/ 56k miles), out of pocket was $25k. In other words, this c6z is worth the price of two c5z's. Definitely not cheap. Also if you consider that I could have picked up a brand new Camaro SS for the price I paid, then there's definitely a little bit of sticker shock. But the Camaro SS certainly is no c6z..

The way I look at it though, I couldn't put in $25K into my c5z and end up with a car that looks, feels, drives, hooks, is as nice or as reliable as the c6z. IMHO it was worth the upgrade.

9. Technology and gadgetry

I haven't used the key once my car. It may not even be cut for my car. I keep the keyfob in my pocket and when I walk up to the car it unlocks. When I get into it, I just hit a button and it starts the car. When I walk away from it, it locks the doors automatically. There are no door handles. I just kind of squeeze the little slit in the door where my hand goes, and it's like an airlock opens. The windows roll down to release pressure and the door shoves itself open a little.

The 6-disk in-dash mp3/cd player is also nice. Would be better if it bluetooth paired my iPhone like a Camaro SS does. Oh well. The HUD is awesome and has a g-meter (and I love pulling a lateral G and knowing I'm doing it).

The HID's are nice too, and they turn on at their own leisure when the outside gets dark. It's really nice, and consistent. When I pull into my parking garage at work, it consistently turns them on in the same spot.

10. Where the hell is the dip stick?

I love opening the clam shell hood and asking people to find the oil dipstick, and they promptly tell me, "It's one of them new oil-less cars!". No it's not oil-less. GM hasn't solved the problem of friction [yet]. It's a dry sump, and there's a big loud, sucky-noise-sounding tank in the passenger's side engine bay. It's awesome. Hope it doesn't break.

11. My car knows my name

I turn my key.. wait, force of habit.. rather I press the "start button" and my car shows my name across the dot matrix display. I have personal seat options that if I hit, it says "Seat options for Joe", etc. It's awesome.

IMHO, GM has outdone themselves on this car, and I can only imagine what the c7z will do to raise the bar.

my $.02 + $45k
joseph

Last edited by BigLittles; 07-23-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Cleaned up
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
c6r
On The Tree

Congrads...enjoy it man
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the great write up. I sold my C5Z to eventually get in a C6Z, should be next year.

What kind of tires do you have on the car? Also I heard that putting coilovers on the C6Z make the car give a lot more feedback. I also heard about the less steering feedback. Not sure if there is a fix for that.

Very nice car, enjoy the **** out of it. Btw love the PDF, lol! My c5Z definitely had a lot of that compared to the Ws6, BIG TIME!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 AM
TECH Regular

great write up congrats on the new car live it up I bought my 02Z a few months ago and went from a coupe to the Z and was amazed I really wanted the C6Z but didnt want to fork out the money but definitely an amazing car very nice pics to
Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scramblerman
Thanks for the great write up. I sold my C5Z to eventually get in a C6Z, should be next year.

What kind of tires do you have on the car? Also I heard that putting coilovers on the C6Z make the car give a lot more feedback. I also heard about the less steering feedback. Not sure if there is a fix for that.

Very nice car, enjoy the **** out of it. Btw love the PDF, lol! My c5Z definitely had a lot of that compared to the Ws6, BIG TIME!
Tires are Bridgestone Potenza's. Are you saving up to buy new or used? I can only imagine what a brand new c6z feels like, mine's got about 31k on it, lol. Still smells new, but there's nothing like the smell and feel of a new car.

Yea I think part of the feedback to the road feel has to do with the shocks. I'm sure the idea is they don't want the driver to have to constantly feel the road. But man that was the thing I liked the best about my c5z. Really made you feel one with the car. But some of us like cars that are, well, more raw.

BTW, after driving a c6z, I can only imagine what a zr1 feels like now. 130 or so more hp? Damn thing must pull like a train. Guess I'll wait 5 years until it's in the 60k price range and then go after it then lol. By then my c6z should be worth 25k so I can finance 35. Of course by then the c7z will probably be out and making as much power as the zr1 with a naturally aspirated engine (8.0L or something silly like that, lol). Go GM.

littles
Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up sir. But I do have a couple of questions for you. And please know up front that I absolutely LOVE the new C6Z. Ok here goes, have you researched and what do you think of the current C6Z issues that are arrising.

-The needle bearings in the roller rockers coming apart and destroying the motor.
-Issues with the dry sump oil system.
-Issues with the LS7 motor once you start getting into some big power ranges, say 700+

I only ask, because like I said before, I love this car and would seriously consider selling my AMG Mercedes and getting one, but Im worried about these and other potential issues and problems.

Thanks and again, congrats on your new toy.

Charlie
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice car nice write up! Did your ever run your c5z at the track? If so what did it run and trap? Are you plan on running your c6z evenly at the track?

We definitely know the c6z in stock form is faster in stock form but it would be a nice comparison with SAME driver that owned both cars when they are STOCK and ran them both down the track in similar weather and compared times and trap speeds
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigLittles
Tires are Bridgestone Potenza's. Are you saving up to buy new or used? I can only imagine what a brand new c6z feels like, mine's got about 31k on it, lol. Still smells new, but there's nothing like the smell and feel of a new car.

Yea I think part of the feedback to the road feel has to do with the shocks. I'm sure the idea is they don't want the driver to have to constantly feel the road. But man that was the thing I liked the best about my c5z. Really made you feel one with the car. But some of us like cars that are, well, more raw.

BTW, after driving a c6z, I can only imagine what a zr1 feels like now. 130 or so more hp? Damn thing must pull like a train. Guess I'll wait 5 years until it's in the 60k price range and then go after it then lol. By then my c6z should be worth 25k so I can finance 35. Of course by then the c7z will probably be out and making as much power as the zr1 with a naturally aspirated engine (8.0L or something silly like that, lol). Go GM.

littles
I am saving money up to get a used 06Z. I think by winter time next year I should be able to pick one up for low 30k's. Coming from a Ws6 I really liked the way the C5Z felt more "RAW" than a bas model did.

Besides long tubes and a CAI I want to get a set of coilovers. Heard so much great things about them.

I will never by new, ever again. In these days the only way you buy a new car is if you keep it for a long time. New cars lose soooooo much value, just look at the Z06's for example.

I haven't had the pleasure of driving a C6Z yet, tho my bro and dad have driven one. My dad says the car is insane. I had cam and full boltons in my C5Z and it felt damn fast.

Good luck with the car and enjoy.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=scramblerman;14134194]I am saving money up to get a used 06Z. I think by winter time next year I should be able to pick one up for low 30k's. Coming from a Ws6 I really liked the way the C5Z felt more "RAW" than a bas model did.

Besides long tubes and a CAI I want to get a set of coilovers. Heard so much great things about them.

I will never by new, ever again. In these days the only way you buy a new car is if you keep it for a long time. New cars lose soooooo much value, just look at the Z06's for example.

I haven't had the pleasure of driving a C6Z yet, tho my bro and dad have driven one. My dad says the car is insane. I had cam and full boltons in my C5Z and it felt damn fast.

You aint lying...Buying new is fun and something you will never forget but is a complete waste of money...Why pay 75K for a brand new z06 when you can get say an 09 for 50k loaded down with hardly no miles at all! I love my c6 so much i am thinking about trading my dd 04 cobra in for another z06...I really think they are a hell of a car for the price! However i also think the c5 z is a damn good buy.....I have driven c5's and a lot of other cars at the track and im no pro but im no rookie but the c6z is a bitch to drive at the track(at least a modded on anyways) Hard as hell to do any kind of burnout and really hard to get a good but "safe launch" One positve thing is how it just wants to go in a straight line...That is definately what they were made to do.......
Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
You aint lying...Buying new is fun and something you will never forget but is a complete waste of money...Why pay 75K for a brand new z06 when you can get say an 09 for 50k loaded down with hardly no miles at all! I love my c6 so much i am thinking about trading my dd 04 cobra in for another z06...I really think they are a hell of a car for the price! However i also think the c5 z is a damn good buy.....I have driven c5's and a lot of other cars at the track and im no pro but im no rookie but the c6z is a bitch to drive at the track(at least a modded on anyways) Hard as hell to do any kind of burnout and really hard to get a good but "safe launch" One positve thing is how it just wants to go in a straight line...That is definately what they were made to do.......
I had bought a cartek line lock kit for my C5Z, was definitely worth the price. Along with my et streets I should no problem hooking up the C6Z when I get it. However I am going towards the road racing/ auto x in the car. Ran 11.96 at 117mph with the C5Z when it had the et streets and vararam only on it. I miss that car for sure.
Both cars, C5Z and C6Z are fantastic and can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scramblerman
I had bought a cartek line lock kit for my C5Z, was definitely worth the price. Along with my et streets I should no problem hooking up the C6Z when I get it. However I am going towards the road racing/ auto x in the car. Ran 11.96 at 117mph with the C5Z when it had the et streets and vararam only on it. I miss that car for sure.
Both cars, C5Z and C6Z are fantastic and can't go wrong either way.
Yeah the line lock is definately in my future plans.......And on the 19" nt05's it completely hooks, i mean hooks...But since adding the spec twin disc clutch that thing doesnt wanna ease off the line at all, seems to really prefer the "pop the clutch" a little more...My problem is i dont get use to driving the car before mods and upgrades...Before next track season i plan on upgrading my half shafts at the least before i make another go at it.....Everytime i get to the track i break something it seams...But its def a bad bitch....But since the clutch upgrade it feels like im learning and starting alllllllll over again
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

GREAT write up! Im very curious myself about the C6Z. I wont ever pull the trigger on a base C6 for trade value of my C5Z. Just cant part with it. C6Z is another story. Your comparison seems right along the lines that most say on corvetteforum as well. Im actually about to upgrade my C5Z shocks for C6Z shocks. Most say there is close to a world of difference. We shall see....I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say steering feedback. Its almost an inate feeling after you own and really drive your C5Z a while. You become one with it and feel everything it does. Which depending on how you drive can be a very good thing. I will say this, I cant imagine cost of maintainence on a C6Z as im SURE its a considerable amount more than a C5. Congrats. I still dont know if ill ever own one tho. Lol for now its still a lil out of my price range and im still paying on my car. Plus the C7 is right around the corner. Sooo time will tell.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demarco313
nice car nice write up! Did your ever run your c5z at the track? If so what did it run and trap? Are you plan on running your c6z evenly at the track?

We definitely know the c6z in stock form is faster in stock form but it would be a nice comparison with SAME driver that owned both cars when they are STOCK and ran them both down the track in similar weather and compared times and trap speeds
Best I've done in my c5z was 13.1@106 in 90* weather with no highway cooldown. That particular run I raced against a c6z that ran a 12.2@115 as I recall, with 100more hp. So I expect to do about the same if I ever take the c6z to the track here in Texas.

People who run 11s laps in a stock c5z have my respect and know their sh*t. They probably aren't doing it on street tires, and probably shift about twice as fast as I do. When I goto the drag strip I'm not trying to tear my engine up or burn up my clutch, I just want a clean pass. In my stock A4 c5 targa I could run low 13's all day (my best was a 13.1@103) on a car with 60 less hp and 100 lb's more weight. Then again you never know, my a4 could have been a freak, and my c5 could have been a Friday car IMHO though driver means quite a lot.

Check out this multi-part article about this guy who ran an 11.8 in a stock c5z. He practices speed shifting drills in his car with the engine off every morning:
http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...z06/index.html
http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...2/results.html
http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...ifficulty.html

But yea if I hit the track up in my c6z [sometime next year when it reopens] I'll post up some times.

littles
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Very nice write up sir. But I do have a couple of questions for you. And please know up front that I absolutely LOVE the new C6Z. Ok here goes, have you researched and what do you think of the current C6Z issues that are arrising.

-The needle bearings in the roller rockers coming apart and destroying the motor.
-Issues with the LS7 motor once you start getting into some big power ranges, say 700+

I only ask, because like I said before, I love this car and would seriously consider selling my AMG Mercedes and getting one, but Im worried about these and other potential issues and problems.

Charlie
Thanks for the head's up, I'll read about those issues. Car drives like a champ and if I have any problems with it, she'll get the care she needs . She won't see 700hp in my possession, and I don't drive the car hard. But we'll see.

thanks,
littles
Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigLittles
Thanks for the head's up, I'll read about those issues. Car drives like a champ and if I have any problems with it, she'll get the care she needs . She won't see 700hp in my possession, and I don't drive the car hard. But we'll see.

thanks,
littles

Well in that case, youll be fine. The technology in the C6Z is bar none the bast around. The C6Z is so close to the C6Z-R. If you do a little research and comparrison on the C5Z and the C5-R vs. the C6Z and the C6-R youll see that GM has really steped up the game. Youll be more then happy. The car is amazing. Congrats sir..
Old 11-20-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlie c5

Charlie
The rocker arm problems were in the 07's. The 06-07's had problems with the roofs delaminating tho. The dry sump is fine for some track usuage but continous 1 G turns can starve the motor for oil. I think Katech makes a kit for that. I have read a few different problems with running that much hp, then again some cars have problems while some don't. Luck of the draw I guess with 700hp.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Awesome write up. I am getting a Trail Blazer SS this spring and then in the next 2 years will be in the market for a C6Z once they come down a bit more. But for the price of a used C6Z it is hard to beat. Hell I have seen a few 06's go for mid 30's with 60k miles.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

When they drop in the 20s you'll see me all over one lol.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheHitman
When they drop in the 20s you'll see me all over one lol.
Im curious to see what the bottom price will be on both the c5 and the c6 z06 with low miles and excellent condition will be...But i can guarantee the c5 z hits the teens and or the c6 hits the 20's...I will be collecting these things like baseball cards! IMO the c5 is a lot of car for the price right now(at least in legitimate excellent condition) I just dont see them falling much more if at all.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
Im curious to see what the bottom price will be on both the c5 and the c6 z06 with low miles and excellent condition will be...But i can guarantee the c5 z hits the teens and or the c6 hits the 20's...I will be collecting these things like baseball cards! IMO the c5 is a lot of car for the price right now(at least in legitimate excellent condition) I just dont see them falling much more if at all.
Its interesting because I bought my vette for 18 grand with 75,000 miles and people tell me I got ripped off lol. There are so many vettes around that I can see the prices on assembly line Z06s going for real cheap. Hell I might just keep my C5 and mod the living hell out of it but I think thats too late

Quick Reply: Upgraded to a c6z from c5z, impressions [long]