Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Clutch suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch suggestions

I have an 02 C5 which makes around 800 rwhp. I currently have a spec twin disc in the car. Driveability is horrible and the clutch makes alot of noise. I suspect that there is a problem with the install on it. Spec seems like they will work with me on it because the clutch has less than 1k on it. I've had a McLeod twin in another car and loved it. I'm thinking about just switching them out.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about RPS Carbon clutches?

What's your driving style like?

You need a BC2 or BC3 for sure
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Mostly street driving and some track. I can put up with a stiffer pedal but the one I have is either in or out. It's almost impossible to slip in traffic or on a hill.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just ordered an ACT Twin Disc my car with the organic discs. They make them in many variants for different TQ levels. Price is reasonable for a twin. Car is torn down at the moment so will be a bit before it's on the road. People over on CF love them and nothing bad to be heard about them. Quite a few cars putting some power though them. A&A Corvette recommends and sells them as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I am running an Exedy Twin disk on my C5-ZO6.. Very quiet, no chatter fairly light clutch.. Holds 657/562 w/o any issues. My new build should be north of 750 rwhp, so we will see how it does then.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Call Rob at RPS Clutch, he will set you straight. I have 2 Vettes here in the shop now and both I installed the RPS Street Twin Carbon. Great pedal feel but a little stiffer then stock. Excellent holding power on FI cars. No noise from the floater plate and smooth engagement.

They even ship the clutch with ARP allen head bolts, billet steel flywheel, locktite and alignment tool. Rob is top notch to deal with and has beat his delivery date everytime we order.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM

My SPEC twin is perfectly fine. You must have had an improper install. I'm running solid trans mounts that help also. The rubber mounts tend to flex causing things to move alot.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by james1098
I have an 02 C5 which makes around 800 rwhp. I currently have a spec twin disc in the car. Driveability is horrible and the clutch makes alot of noise. I suspect that there is a problem with the install on it. Spec seems like they will work with me on it because the clutch has less than 1k on it. I've had a McLeod twin in another car and loved it. I'm thinking about just switching them out.
Any suggestions?
That's a good idea. The Spec twin is very difficult if not impossible to be slipped. Numerous guy's on Corvette Forum (performance section) have broken the rear end at the track due to this problem. You already knew that the McLeod street twin is ideal on the street and at the track...why would you switch to that piece of turd clutch in the first place?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id call Monster up and see what they have for you. Ive had a Monster for a while and I beat the heck out of it and its still holding string...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Jason at Texas Drivetrain and Performance and tell him Lance sent ya. He will hook it up for you and give you the best price out there. And his clutches are the business. I have plenty of buddys with over 900hp using the same clutch from him, for 2 years strong. I cannot say certian things on here why there the best and why such a good price. But PM me if you need more info.

Quick Reply: Clutch suggestions