Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Picked up a 99 C5 with 180K mi

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up a 99 C5 with 180K mi

Hey all. Ive been out of the ls1 scene for a few years but now I'm back. I had a 99 Formula that I had running 10.8x through stock exhaust manifolds and cats, with patriot heads, a cheatR cam and some n20. I ended up buying an 05 viper that I love to death but I still missed my Ls1 so I just picked up a white 99 C5 with believe it or not 180K miles on it. It still runs good too. I imagine I'll have to throw a new ls1 in her before I start modding, but it might be fun to see what it can take first, lol.

Anyways, my old car was an f-body, so I know certain things are different with the vette, not to mention Its been quite some time, so I'm sure Ive missed a lot of great new ideas and products. I'm totally new to this active handling stuff too. Is it garbage or good? I remember my first mod on my F-body was a "direct-flo" lid. Whats the first mod for my C5? What exhausts sound good? Anyways I'm glad to be back here. Theres not nearly as much info out there in the viper world. I remember getting so much good advice here and on Ls1.com...
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome back to the family. I can give a couple thoughts until the C5 chime in.

Vararam kicks performance butt for an intake on the C6, although the quality can be disappointing.

I doubt the active handling algorithm is the same for the C6 as the C5, but I leave active handling on all the time, but turn off traction control when I want more flexibility. I look at it as safety, not as anything to make me faster. The vette can step out pretty fast. If you were driving a viper and going hard in the twisties without it, then experiment without it on. You can also try competition mode, which is less nanny intervention as an intermediate step.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a 99 frc and when I started looking for a c5 I wanted active handling. After looking into it sometimes the system starts acting up it can apply the brakes/active when it isn't supposed to. For me that would be a deal breaker. I would remove it if mine had it. When it works it would be nice, but I'm used to catching the rear on my turbo camaro. The c5 is balanced pretty nice. I'm scared of it putting the car sideways when it isn't supposed to.

You should look into the column lock bypass. Mine had the gm recall done, and it started throwing codes/cut the fuel. A bypass box fixed it after running a jumper wire to bypass the gm recall.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

B&B bullets sound great if you like Loud!! i have a few clips of my 01Z06 on youtube.

As for first mods: A callaway Honker or VR-B2 CAI, then some Kooks/ARH/LG headers, then some stickey tires!!

Cam swaps are a PITA since the front rack needs to be dropped to remove the balancer
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back.

Before anyone start's recommending anything, what are your realistic plans with the car? Bolt-ons or forced induction, suspension?... and over all, what kind of money are you wanting to invest in the car?

I agree, the B&B bullets are badass,...loud(in the cleanest way possible of loud) but,..badass,...the vararam, for an NA car,..is bad *** as well, in my opinion the best airbox. But,..curious of your purpose of the car man. Good choice on the artic white as well. Any thoughts of wheel choices?..if at all? Lots of choices. HIGHLY recommend coilovers as a given mod to ANY car, especially a Corvette. Strongly recommend that. A good shifter, I like hurst,... but,,,again,,,lets hear your plans.

-J
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the ideas and the advice guys. I haven't decided which direction to go with the car yet. Or even which car to start modding yet as my other car is an 05 Viper. I know the C5 will never see a road course, The viper probably will. I really liked what I had with my old ls1 formula with stock like drivability and the capability to run 10.8x at the track and to blow through CA Smog inspection through stock exhaust manifolds and cats, full weight, A/C and all. I may go that route again, which was a small cam, heads and a little n20. Ive never had a supercharged car before though, so I may go that route too.

For now I may just throw on a few bolt ons, and have a little fun with this 180K mile ls1. When it lets go, then I'll have to seriously think about what path Im going to take when it gets the new bottom end.

Its going to be a daily driver of some sort though. I traded in a Tahoe I bought my EX GF for it. Besides this vette I only have the Viper (which for me is more of a toy, or weekend car), or my 93 Geo Prizm that I commute 1 hr each way to work every day. So this vette is going to be my every day car minus the commuting. The Geo is getting to be an eyesore, lol, but its the ultimate commuter.....
Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

NICE! Vipers are sick!

Quick Reply: Picked up a 99 C5 with 180K mi