Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch or FRC?

Pretty simple question, I just want to hear your reasons
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

What do you want to do with the car? The coupe is a much more friendly car with the removable top and other features. The FRC is a little crowded in the cab but has a cool factor all of its own. The FRC is becoming more desireable for the road coarses ect.. Question is really, what do you want???
Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
The FRC is a little crowded in the cab but has a cool factor all of its own. The FRC is becoming more desireable for the road coarses ect.. Question is really, what do you want???
I've got a '00 FRC and I like it. The interior from the seat backs forward is identical. You will lose the open area in the actual hatch. I like having a "trunk". With the insert installed between the rear area and cockpit I beleive it's quieter.

The FRC body style was developed by GM as a club level racer in mind. Not that many were made. Two year later it became the Z06.

Bob K.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Got one..........
Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
Got one..........
Great post.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RGKSR
I've got a '00 FRC and I like it. The interior from the seat backs forward is identical. You will lose the open area in the actual hatch. I like having a "trunk". With the insert installed between the rear area and cockpit I beleive it's quieter.

The FRC body style was developed by GM as a club level racer in mind. Not that many were made. Two year later it became the Z06.

Bob K.
It just seems to me that the head room in the FRC is a little tight when you have a helmet on. Thats one of things Ive noticed right off the bat for me. May not hold true for all though
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

i'm just doing my research right now, i will look for a car seriously in the fall. this car will just be my dd so that's why i'm considering the hatch, but from the pictures i've seen, i dont see much storage space. is there a rear flap that covers a recessed storage space like in an fbody or is it just flat? the trunk may be deceiving, but it gives the appearance of more storage space on an frc.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM

You will enjoy ether as a dd. You just need to decide again like others are saying do you need to be able to remove the top or not. I have no problem going shopping for food or anything there is more room in it than you think granted i am single so i only need to buy enough things for myself. It's up to you it's good to see your doing your research at least. Good luck man whatever you choose it will bring a smile to your face every time you drive it amazing cars all of them.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, in the back of the non FRC coupe you get three storage compartments. The one in the center has a semi radius to it thats similiar to where a spare would have been put. The other two are on each side and a little smaller You do end up with a little more room due to the dome of the rear glass
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your just looking for a normal DD and not trying to get all out performance then it becomes a matter of which look you like better (frc vs coupe)

The coupe is better for a DD in opinion because you can remove the top and the trunk is bigger because of the rear glass. I've bought well over $100 in groceries and had no problems fitting it in the truck

Normal DD = Coupe > FRC although there's nothing wrong with DD a FRC ( Coupe= More trunk space and removeable top)

Performance = FRC (It's body is based off the C5Z06 which makes it lighter than the coupe)

Good luck with your choice
Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
Yes, in the back of the non FRC coupe you get three storage compartments. The one in the center has a semi radius to it thats similiar to where a spare would have been put. The other two are on each side and a little smaller You do end up with a little more room due to the dome of the rear glass
i think you just helped me make my decision. thank you!!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

I love the look of the FRC, thats why I went with a C5Z06 over a base C6
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Launching!

FRC cause they look better
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wade3673
i'm just doing my research right now, i will look for a car seriously in the fall. this car will just be my dd so that's why i'm considering the hatch, but from the pictures i've seen, i dont see much storage space. is there a rear flap that covers a recessed storage space like in an fbody or is it just flat? the trunk may be deceiving, but it gives the appearance of more storage space on an frc.
The coupe's hatch has way more space than the FRC's trunk. I'd go with the coupe, nothing beats that targa top on a nice day.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

The coupe has a higher top speed, because of the rear glass. The FRC's are more rare, and usually have less options. No FRC's came with sport seats, power passenger seats, or 2 tone interiors. If I'm not mistaken FRC's didn't have HUD's either (Might be FRC vs Z06 difference). They should also have a cooler interior and not have leaks like a removable top can.

I like the looks of the hard top cars the best. Seems more like the cockpit of a jet to me
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I'm a little biased as I own one but FRC all day for me!

I have two friends with Coupes and honestly living in Georgia they can NEVER take the top out during the day unless they want to just cook in the sun and they hardly take them out at night. They have both told me if they had it to do over again they would have just went FRC.

I actually wanted the Coupe at first too but after doing my research I decided to go FRC as I road track a lot and have owned some form of removable top car since I was 15 and got kind of played out on it (hardly ever took them out of my SS).

But as said before it's whatever YOU want most and makes you the most happy. Can't go wrong with either because they are both a CORVETTE!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaveCZ06
I love the look of the FRC, thats why I went with a C5Z06 over a base C6
Exactly. I love. The look of the c5z. And it just is way more fun than a c6 or regular c5
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally I got an FRC because you can't beat the look. The coupes just don't do it for me nearly as much. The weight and other performance advantages (however small they may be) were just icing on the cake.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Launching!

With the 02+ c5z you get FRC + powered seats + HUD.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL most people can't even tell the difference between the two.

Quick Reply: Hatch or FRC?