Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

99 C5 Headers

Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 C5 Headers

I have a 99 C5 wit a 6spd, wit a dual 2.5 Corsa catback, looking to do longtube headers, and a x pipe, which headers are decent for the money, and wut materials do i need like 02 sensors etc?? how much is labor?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
I have a 99 C5 wit a 6spd, wit a dual 2.5 Corsa catback, looking to do longtube headers, and a x pipe, which headers are decent for the money, and wut materials do i need like 02 sensors etc?? how much is labor?

go with the LG streets
we have them for 1050.00 shipped for non catted
http://shop.doubledmods.com/LG-C5-St...et-Headers.htm

We used to sell OBX
we ran into a lot of issues with them for fitment and quality. OBX is horrible to deal with on issues so we stopped handling the product. LG Streets is where you shoudl put the money. If you find and go with the OBX expect some fitment issues.
I even have one of the original OBX sets on my own car that fit fine. The new ones is where the problems are.

Call me if you need more info
Dennis
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
go with the LG streets
we have them for 1050.00 shipped for non catted
http://shop.doubledmods.com/LG-C5-St...et-Headers.htm

We used to sell OBX
we ran into a lot of issues with them for fitment and quality. OBX is horrible to deal with on issues so we stopped handling the product. LG Streets is where you shoudl put the money. If you find and go with the OBX expect some fitment issues.
I even have one of the original OBX sets on my own car that fit fine. The new ones is where the problems are.

Call me if you need more info
Dennis

thats wit no cats ?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 PM

thats wit no cats ?

yes
add cats for an additional 200.00
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes
add cats for an additional 200.00
ok not bad, wut else would i need?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM

ok not bad, wut else would i need?
nothing
everything is included in box

i would suggest a tune when done however
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing
everything is included in box

i would suggest a tune when done however
Yea tune is not a problem, ok cool, ill be giving u a call soon, thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, Texas speed and performances headers and x-pipe are hard to beat for the price. Just saying check all your options before throwing down that hard earned money.

Thanks...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
FYI, Texas speed and performances headers and x-pipe are hard to beat for the price. Just saying check all your options before throwing down that hard earned money.

Thanks...
Yea they dont seem bad at all, how do they fit?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Teching In

I just bought a set of TSP headers/xpipe.. Not yet installed but the quality looks great. Make sure you get them coated though.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

They fit fine....IMHO, if you going for a "max" effort build then there may be other choices. But if you going to be under 450rwhp then I think they would be fine. Header vs header, you would be hard pressed to fine a measureable hp difference until the build gets into deeper water.

One difference about the TSP setup is, the x-pipe is towards the rear of the car of some of the other makers have it right after the collector. Again, I've yet to see any measurable gain in the typical bolt on platform between companys.

And about the coating, I think nowdays you can only get them coated. I could be wrong but you deffinently want them coated.

Thanks...

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 06-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TSP are hard to beat for the price. However, I do like the LG street headers. The whole system is stainless unlike the TSP's.

I personally bought the LG Pro's or SuperPro's as they are called now. But I would have bought the streets if they were available back then for less change.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Steve, while I do like the LGs and consider them to be one of the top two brands made, but I feel they are not worth double the price of some other competitors (unless your needing the Pros 1 7/8). And the stainless....well why add the weight when theres no performance gain ?? A full upgraded exhaust is where C5 guys can shed some weight.

And to turn around and put the weight back on ??

IMHO, theres nothing better than gaining HP, sheding weight and getting them for a very reasonable amount.

One of my favorite motto's : "take care of the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves". And this is a perfect example. The weight may not seem like a lot but it all adds up, thats why I'm at 2880lbs .

Again, this is just my modest opinion.

Thanks...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChaseBimmer
I just bought a set of TSP headers/xpipe.. Not yet installed but the quality looks great. Make sure you get them coated though.
They fit fine....IMHO, if you going for a "max" effort build then there may be other choices. But if you going to be under 450rwhp then I think they would be fine. Header vs header, you would be hard pressed to fine a measureable hp difference until the build gets into deeper water.

One difference about the TSP setup is, the x-pipe is towards the rear of the car of some of the other makers have it right after the collector. Again, I've yet to see any measurable gain in the typical bolt on platform between companys.

And about the coating, I think nowdays you can only get them coated. I could be wrong but you deffinently want them coated.

Thanks...
Hey Steve, while I do like the LGs and consider them to be one of the top two brands made, but I feel they are not worth double the price of some other competitors (unless your needing the Pros 1 7/8). And the stainless....well why add the weight when theres no performance gain ?? A full upgraded exhaust is where C5 guys can shed some weight.

And to turn around and put the weight back on ??

IMHO, theres nothing better than gaining HP, sheding weight and getting them for a very reasonable amount.

One of my favorite motto's : "take care of the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves". And this is a perfect example. The weight may not seem like a lot but it all adds up, thats why I'm at 2880lbs .

Again, this is just my modest opinion.

Thanks...
ok cool, ill probably get the tsp ones, how much do these corvettes weight stock?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Well it really depends on the model and the options. My '04 ZO6 weighted 3075lbs + or - 50lbs. So...I read you have a '99 coupe, I'm not sure on your weight but it couldn't be much more than 3200lbs.

Your stock exhaust manifolds with the stock H-pipe weight roughly 73lbs and typical aftermarket long tubes with X-pipe are roughly 46lbs. So roughly a savings of 25lbs, and about your Corsa they are roughly 24lbs per side for a grand total of 48lbs. The best bang for the buck in the cat-back system is the ZO6 Ti setup, 13lbs per side for a total of 26lbs. The sound that you desire will be the deciding factor on the cat-back system.

So to recap.....aftermarket LT's, X-pipe and ZO6 Ti cat-back would net you a great performance gain (with a tune) and possible go from 3200lbs to 3153lbs.

If you keep an eye towards weight when you start moding your vette, you will have a edge againt most competitors in the weight department.....and take any edge you can.

Thanks...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

I went with the catted LG's. Good fit. I installed them myself on the garage floor in about 8hrs. If you have a 99 you will need to buy a late model RH AIR tube, or atleast I did, and you will have to pull the intake to change it. I ran all 4 O2's with harness extensions, so far no problems, but I'm just waiting for a CAT DTC to pop up.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it really depends on the model and the options. My '04 ZO6 weighted 3075lbs + or - 50lbs. So...I read you have a '99 coupe, I'm not sure on your weight but it couldn't be much more than 3200lbs.

Your stock exhaust manifolds with the stock H-pipe weight roughly 73lbs and typical aftermarket long tubes with X-pipe are roughly 46lbs. So roughly a savings of 25lbs, and about your Corsa they are roughly 24lbs per side for a grand total of 48lbs. The best bang for the buck in the cat-back system is the ZO6 Ti setup, 13lbs per side for a total of 26lbs. The sound that you desire will be the deciding factor on the cat-back system.

So to recap.....aftermarket LT's, X-pipe and ZO6 Ti cat-back would net you a great performance gain (with a tune) and possible go from 3200lbs to 3153lbs.

If you keep an eye towards weight when you start moding your vette, you will have a edge againt most competitors in the weight department.....and take any edge you can.

Thanks...
Originally Posted by Tooldude
I went with the catted LG's. Good fit. I installed them myself on the garage floor in about 8hrs. If you have a 99 you will need to buy a late model RH AIR tube, or atleast I did, and you will have to pull the intake to change it. I ran all 4 O2's with harness extensions, so far no problems, but I'm just waiting for a CAT DTC to pop up.

wow thats a good savings of weight, thank u for the info,

Tooldue, wut do u mean i need an air tube? can i run non emissions headers and have my tuner tune it out?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks...
Do you run TS headers and x-pipe? How do they sound? You have any video clips? I'm on the fence about ordering a set soon.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Mine's a 99 coupe as well. Completely stock at the moment and even thinking of keeping the stock catback for the meantime. I don't want anything too loud since I get enough complaining out of my townhome association from the true dual setup on my t/a, lol
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

wuts wit this air tube setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 C5 Headers