Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 220miles!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 220miles!

First I would Like the thank Clint@AIR and Bret@RED and all the guys there. Great Job!

Also Carlos@vette-air, Jason@Katech, Fran@RPM and few members@CF

So I picked up my car on Friday. everything seems ok! I can feel the tq (even though I never went over 30-40% throttle!) I can't wait to get this thing tuned!

The car sounds a little different. rumbles a little more and also has a deeper sound. sound level is pretty the same though. I thought it will sound a little meaner going from 13.25-14.0 CR with more cubes and also the bigger cam!! its fine

- Revised black widow cam

This cam is GREAT! very streetable idles a little rougher than the older black widow. Maybe the extra cubes helps with its streetability? Overall I am happy with it. Tune still needs some tweaking but at this point, this cam drives great over 1500RPM. but I do have one problem!!

For some reason the car will hesitate a little bit over 1700RPM up to 2200RPM. it comes and goes pretty much on all gears even 1st. I dont know if this has anything to do with the cam??? tuning?? or is there something else?? Car is not fully tuned yet. Its just a break in tune.

- RPS BC3 Triple Carbon Clutch

I was so worried at first. but let me tell you this.... its one of the BEST CLUTCHES for daily drive especially for it being triple and the power that it can hold!! I cant really believe how nice this thing for a DD. I have about 180miles now (90miles highway) the rest is all city driving. Amazing clutch and I am glad I spent the extra $$$$$ for it.

I have some concerns though... I have been told there will be some noise at idle and neutral and also some chattering!! I don't have that at all?? is that good or bad lol??

Also my engagement point is almost at the top. It doesn't bother me, but is it going to damage anything (slave or clutch itself?) I have a stock LS7 slave installed. When I contacted RPS they said we need to measure and choose the right slave (either stock or LS9 slave cylinder). Again it doesn't bother me, but do I need to worry about anything?

Also when I rev the car in neutral or when I shift from gear to gear. it will hold whatever RPM I am at for a sec and then return slowly. is that normal? I have a steel flywheel and been told it might be the reason!? any input on from people running the same clutch?

One last thing. the clutch sometimes grabs hard. I thought that is not good for the drivetrain?

- Hinson Engine Mounts

Some noise and extra vibration inside the cabin, but it doesnt bother me a lot. with the radio on, i think It will be gone. I just drive with the radio off during this time just in case I hear some weird sounds or anything. BTW do those mounts make the engine sit a little higher?

One more thing... I have the ABS/Traction light ON all the time. and it will show service active handling and abs on the dash. we still didnt figure out why is it doing this. anyone have any idea? also I got a flashing check engine light (never seen that before) and the next day I got a check gas cap msg. I did but it was still on until I cleared it. it didnt come back again until now.

Finally what is the right way to break-in a new engine and clutch? until now I never went over 3500. I never did over 30-40% throttle. I do try to shift gears every chance I get and also try changing my speeds and RPMs even on the high way. not sure if it matters. it would be helpful to point out the right way to break in a new engine and a clutch and what NOT to do!

I have talked to my tuner he said he will take care of it after the break-in. But I wanted to share what I am facing here!

Sorry for making this long. here are few pics and a quick walk around and idle vid. Sorry I know they are not the greatest but I have a cheap old camera and my editing skills are below average

The specs for people that didnt see my other post!

- Darton sleeved LS7 Block by RED.
- 441ci stroker ( callies crank, rods, and daimond pistons w/ nitrous rings)
- almost 14.0:1 compression
- WCCH High CR Heads w/ SS valves
- Black Widow revised cam with duel springs
- Morel lifters (link bar)
- CHE rockers
- Innovators West damper
- all ARP hardware and block is machined for 1/2" studs

- Ported Fast intake with Nitrous outlet direct port
- Nitrous outlet nitrous kit with 102 plate (2 stages)
- 2- nano 4500 kits and 2- 15lbs bottles
- NMS1000 nitrous controller

- Bosch 85# Injectors
- Stock Fuel Pump

- NW102 TB
- Halltech KB2 CAI
- LG 1 7/8 super pro headers with off-road xpipe
- Stock Catback

- RPS BC3 Triple Carbon Clutch
- level 4 Built T56
- Stock Diff w/ Stock Axles (for now)
- Stock Suspension (lowered on stock bolts)

-

-

::::vid::::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCLBnm8X-s

Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

This cam is GREAT! very streetable idles a little rougher than the older black widow. Maybe the extra cubes helps with its streetability? Overall I am happy with it. Tune still needs some tweaking but at this point, this cam drives great over 1500RPM. but I do have one problem!!

For some reason the car will hesitate a little bit over 1700RPM up to 2200RPM. it comes and goes pretty much on all gears even 1st. I dont know if this has anything to do with the cam??? tuning?? or is there something else?? Car is not fully tuned yet. Its just a break in tune.

Check the maf low and high freq. tables and make sure they dont overlap each other or have to big of a gap.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Excellent write up! It must be a blast running that on the highway. Have you done any pulls at full throttle with both kits on?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Nice, what bore and stroke?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car looks killer. I would think that Clint would be able to sort things out with the tune after the break in.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
formerly Chris p 02 (11-04-2011)

should roll out good! I have the 440 with a 200 shot and she loves the dope!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very impressive. Looking forward to hearing you report back the first time you hit the spray.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Badass build! I wanna see some vids of this car GETTIN IT!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Rumpity Bump Bump......Christmas early
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks everyone sorry havent posted here for some time now....

I will post a dyno vid soon... car was dynoed back in Nov...

it put down 615whp/582wtq N/A
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

as of now, I havent sprayed this thing. it has about 3000miles now. tried to get on it few times but it will spin those NT05 easily in 1st and 2nd especially at this cold weather.......

car runs good... but the cam doesnt drive as nice as the older widow cam.... I will get the new killer bee CAI with the maf forward design, been told it will help with surging a little bit. Also will try to take it back to Clint to play with the tune a little more.....

thinking about going all out with 250-300shot sometime in March. Carlos@vette-air will be the one tuning it on nitrous..... Cant wait
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Very impressive! Car is sick...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Very nice build

Quick Reply: 440ci built LS7 w/ Nitrous, RPS BC3, Rev Black Widow Cam. 220miles!