Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

car wont start... sometimes. help!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start... sometimes. help!!!

I've searched but really cant find anything on this. my 2003 wont always start and the other day it left me stranded at work. i turned the key and all the lights go dim like its sending all the power to the starter but it just sits theres and acts dumb. at first i thought it was the starter or solenoid. but when i checked that the starter was getting power and it started up.i dont want to change the starter if thats not the problem. I've heard that corvette have a lot of electrical problems could there be a short. or do the starters just go bad quick on these cars its only got 65000 miles on it. just wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Have your battery tested , Corvettes need optimum power for starting due to all the electronics involved. As the temps begin to drop , It's a good idea to keep a charger on it when parked for long periods.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

i checked the battery already it had a good 12 volts. whats weird is it will start sometimes it started just fine the other day the next day it wouldnt today started up just fine again. but when i left for work it wouldnt start. when i turn the key i can hear the fuel pump turn on but the car doesnt even attempt to turn over.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

starter going out will eventually go out and never start.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue. It was my starter. Lights would come on and you turn the key and nothing. I also know if you are having the common ignition switch issue you would get the same symptoms.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

did you fix this? what was the problem, im in the same boat, but its very intermittent, so its hard to diagnose if it's the starter or ignition
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Most of the common problems have been identified above. A voltmeter with the Service Manual schematics is about the only way to solve it when the problem is occuring. Here's a few more possibilities.

1- The ignition switch. Tear it apart and clean the contacts.
2- Low battery or poor cable connection. The PCM needs proper voltage or you will throw many codes. Perform battery load test to ensure it has adequate capacity, not just volts. Clean the cable ends at the battery & starter.
3- The starter solenoid is another somewhat common point of failure. I believe this will usually click but not engage the motor. Can be jumpered.
4- Check your grounds on the block and frame rails.
5- Theft Deterrant Relay. Check with VM.
6- Clutch pedal start switch. Can be bypassed.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having similar issues on my 2000 Z28...yesterday was the first time it didn't start...before i would have to turn the key once or twice and nothing would happen...i would just hear two faint knocks. Then i would crank it and it would fire up just fine. Day before yesterday both times i drove it and turned the key it felt weak but once the motor had enough to catch on it would fired up just fine. So just one day to the next it just died, noticed that it started occurring more when it was cold outside. Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Turn out to be the starter. Ot was pretty fried. It had plenty of power just didn't want to do anything

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car wont start... sometimes. help!!!