Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Vararam forced air installation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam forced air installation question

Do you have to remove the front end (fenders and bumper) on a C5 to install a vararam forced air inlet system? I was told they work well but they are not easy to install. Is that true? I have a bone stock engine compartment on a 2000 C5. I put a cat back Billy Boat Bullet exhaust system on it and I'd like to install a Vararam if it isn't too much trouble. The paint is perfect and I don't want to have to go taking body panels off and possibly scratching the car.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by johni717
Do you have to remove the front end (fenders and bumper) on a C5 to install a vararam forced air inlet system? I was told they work well but they are not easy to install. Is that true? I have a bone stock engine compartment on a 2000 C5. I put a cat back Billy Boat Bullet exhaust system on it and I'd like to install a Vararam if it isn't too much trouble. The paint is perfect and I don't want to have to go taking body panels off and possibly scratching the car.
No you don't. Install is not that bad. Mine took a couple of hours, then my buddy's 2000 vert took about an hour.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hard part is getting the radiator shroud back in... But it's not a big deal. Some people take the bumper off. But that's unnecessary. Took me 3 hours because I didn't have the right tools. I needed a 1" socket extension, which I didn't have, so it took forever getting the bolts tightened. Aside from that, if you have the right tools you can knock it out in about an hour or so.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the input. That helps allot. Pittman, I notice you have a 383 stroker in your Z06. Do they make stroker kits for the LS1? I'm an old BBC chevy guy 454-572's. This is my 1st LS motor. I'm really impressed with the wide power band these things have and the HP and Torque people get out of them. Your Z06 is faster than my 540 3000lb Nova was. That is pretty impressive for a small block without forced induction.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input. That helps allot. Pittman, I notice you have a 383 stroker in your Z06. Do they make stroker kits for the LS1? I'm an old BBC chevy guy 454-572's. This is my 1st LS motor. I'm really impressed with the wide power band these things have and the HP and Torque people get out of them. Your Z06 is faster than my 540 3000lb Nova was. That is pretty impressive for a small block without forced induction.
Thanks. I didn't go all out because I street drive it alot. My dyno reading was 480/445 tq, plenty of power to get a vette deep in the tens.

I actually have an LS1 block, my LS6 block was damaged, then the machine shop ruined it trying to re-sleve it. The stroker motor is an awesome way to go and the kits fit all the LS blocks.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

One way to go is to just buy a short block from someone like Texas Speed (or who ever), then buy a good set of heads and a Fast intake. Send to someone like I did (Pete Incaudo) for cam design, porting and port matching.
If you get someone that really knows what they are doing, like Pete does, you will have a screaming machine.

Pete did my 402 in my Silverado. A mild, daily driven motor in a Silverado, that runs 11.14 to 11.16 ET's all day long, hot lapping. He is a Master !! This is a motor the wife can drive to the grocery store.
This would be an easy 10 second motor in a Vette weighing 700 lbs lighter.

Look how easy this motor runs near a ten second run. This is on little 255/50 Drag radials and I just roll out a few feet and nail it. This is a 4000 lb truck.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...b1117mpeg2.mp4

Pitt

Last edited by pittman; 12-30-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Pit Man all I can say is Wow! What a sleeper that truck is. I'm impressed.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Pit Man all I can say is Wow! What a sleeper that truck is. I'm impressed.
Thx John. If you decide to go Stroker and need a cam\head guy let me know. I will hook you up with Pete.

I have a new vid coming from my trip to Maryland of the the 11.15 and 11.16 runs, two of each. Hopefully I get them soon. Truck still has the bumper on for these runs.

Pitt

Quick Reply: Vararam forced air installation question