Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Just bought my Z06, a few ???s

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought my Z06, a few ???s

So I just got my "new to me" 2003 Z06 this past wednesday. I absolutely love the car. Picked it up for $21k. So far, I've discovered these mods: Dart Pro 1 heads, ARP heads studs, Crane gold 1.8 rocker/7.250 pushrod kit, dynatech headers, full borla stinger exhaust, ATI super damper UD pulley, Katech fixed belt tensioner, short shifter, DC3 catch can, and was told it has an aftermarket clutch(Not sure how to tell).
My 1st question is about the idle. It idles a little lopey like its got a small cam. I can't tell and being it has the crane rocker kit, I can't imagine that it was put on top of an aftermarket cam. Would the crane kit cause it to sound slightly lopey? Plus I think that it's been reflashed by the dealer and probably had any tune that it might have had, erased.

Secondly, Any ideas on what kind of power I could be looking at with this setup?

Last, is it possible to run a cam with the rockers and pushrods it has, for more power? What would be recommended?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Lol well seeing that it has heads, rockers, etc. AND it sounds lopey, chances are great the cam isn't stock
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Here is a link to a video of it idling.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0003.mp4

Last edited by 05JUDGE; 04-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Normally with a cam you use stock 1.7 ratio rockers. You said it has 1.8. Probably has a stock cam. But then again can't imagine changing out heads and not a cam as well.

I would go ahead with a tune unless you plan more mods. Or if you plan to verify if it has an aftermarket cam and may plan a change.

It is a nice looking vette!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Larry
Normally with a cam you use stock 1.7 ratio rockers. You said it has 1.8. Probably has a stock cam. But then again can't imagine changing out heads and not a cam as well.

I would go ahead with a tune unless you plan more mods. Or if you plan to verify if it has an aftermarket cam and may plan a change.

It is a nice looking vette!
I've been debating on which route to go. I really want a bigger cam, but not sure if I should go back to stock rockets or leave these. I have done a ton of searching and found several people using the 1.8 rockets with bigger cams and having great success with them.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Assuming they are a quality set of rockers then I don't know of any problems using them with an aftermarket cam. Just size the cam lift accordingly.

Going with 1.8 is just extra expense when installing a cam unless aftermaket rockers are in the planning anyway. And too 1.8 is not idea due to the geometry change from factory design but will work. I would be reluctant to use the 1.8 were I building a high rpm engine.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Larry
Assuming they are a quality set of rockers then I don't know of any problems using them with an aftermarket cam. Just size the cam lift accordingly.

Going with 1.8 is just extra expense when installing a cam unless aftermaket rockers are in the planning anyway. And too 1.8 is not idea due to the geometry change from factory design but will work. I would be reluctant to use the 1.8 were I building a high rpm engine.
The rockers are the Crane Gold "quick lift" series....That's all I've found so far. I haven't had time to do any more research on them. I actually found another Z06 owner that had these rockers on top of a g5x3 cam, which seems like that would have extremely close PTV clearences...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do you know they are 1.8? I am sure crane makes 1.7's. Even if they are 1.8's then you just have your cam ground properly like Larry said.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver408z
How do you know they are 1.8? I am sure crane makes 1.7's. Even if they are 1.8's then you just have your cam ground properly like Larry said.
Because they are stamped "1.8"......????
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your questioning a build, first off, Congratulations on the purchase, awesome car, nicely modded....so, first off, if your questioning a build, and the potential for failure due to mismatched parts, just buy new rockers, pull your cam, and buy the cam kit you want,...verify your springs are up to par with the new cam......and have the piece of mind knowing everything is what it is. Didn't watch the video(cell phone low bat).
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
If your questioning a build, first off, Congratulations on the purchase, awesome car, nicely modded....so, first off, if your questioning a build, and the potential for failure due to mismatched parts, just buy new rockers, pull your cam, and buy the cam kit you want,...verify your springs are up to par with the new cam......and have the piece of mind knowing everything is what it is. Didn't watch the video(cell phone low bat).
I'm not really quesitoning the build. The springs on the Dart heads are definitely dual springs, just not sure which. Just based on the amount of good parts that were put into the car and how clean it is, and the carfax report itself, I'm guessing it was prefessionally done. The car runs fantastic. I just always like to know what I've got going on in my engine so I know where I can go if I choose to upgrade more. I think for now, I'm going to get a vararam CAI, and try to find a FAST intake, and do the 90mm ls2 upgrade and see what it does.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

I just got mine Tuesday! Best C5 color imo.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

1st off congrats, you'll love the car. 2nd, they make pretty good power with just bolt ins, so if you're not going to go too crazy, I'd just leave it how it is and get a tune
Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

congrats man and best color have one as well word of advice protect that paint at all costs its impossible to find donor cars for body pieces in that color. you will find red and black all day long.

As for that cam it sounds stockish to me and if not very mild
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd bet on it having a cam especially with dual springs. If you think it has been reflashed with a stock tune. I'd have it tuned pretty soon especially if you are beating on it.

Quick Reply: Just bought my Z06, a few ???s