Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need some buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some buying advice

Well, the wife and I have been wanting a new car... The car in my sig I have owned since new and has been a fantastic car, it will be on the way out.. The wife wants a vette and who am I to ruin her dreams....

I am certainly familiar with the LS1... a great engine...

Here is the deal... Do we go after a pristine C5, or look for a reasonably priced C6?

Between the two, which has more useable room? we would look for an auto car with a removeable roof...Maybe a convertable, but will not be our first choice. Which has more legroom? I am 6'4"...

Any years to avoid?

Any suggestions will be great..

Chris..
Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

C5 is your best value for a sports car. In my opinion it is the best weekend warrior. I think your wife will like the C6 better. It has a few more creature comforts.

I would stay away from 05, because of the weaker rear ends, unless you don't drive hard. If you have somewhere in the ball park of 30k to spend then get the 08+ for the ls3. The Grand Sports are really nice.They have slightly worse ride quality with better braking.

If you go with a C5 then get a 01+. Preferably 02 - 04, because the have the ls6, and less ECBM problems (abs and TC).

No matter what you buy, you can't go wrong with a Corvette
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input.... I have see a a few late C5's around here for reasonable money. I do want to stay in the 03-04 years of the C5.... Looking for the one some guy bought for his MLC and has been sitting in the garage with 15k on the clock. How will either car fit me? at 6'4"?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Ya, I've read about a few taller guys who have C5's on corvetteforum.com.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

I like the C6's far more and think you will be more impressed and happier with the purchase for the long haul since you had your T/A for quite sometime now. May as well take the bigger step to the C6 instead of the smaller C5 step which may appear as not such a hugh improvement compared to the T/A. Im assuming your going to go from no payments to a payment, so make it worth it and actually see a larger difference in performance and looks. Not a big fan of Converts, go with a targa top, those look awesome when removed. Either way, good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
C5 is your best value for a sports car. In my opinion it is the best weekend warrior. I think your wife will like the C6 better. It has a few more creature comforts.

I would stay away from 05, because of the weaker rear ends, unless you don't drive hard. If you have somewhere in the ball park of 30k to spend then get the 08+ for the ls3. The Grand Sports are really nice.They have slightly worse ride quality with better braking.

If you go with a C5 then get a 01+. Preferably 02 - 04, because the have the ls6, and less ECBM problems (abs and TC).

No matter what you buy, you can't go wrong with a Corvette
not true only the zo6 had the ls6 but all 01 and up ls1 had the zo6 intake.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys... No, no payments.... It will be a cash deal... I think it will give me pretty good leverage, especially with the owner car.... we would like a targa car for sure....

Truth be told... If Pontiac was still around... we may be looking at a GTO.... Imagine what that car could have been, given the time... Oh well...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000SSNavyblue
I like the C6's far more and think you will be more impressed and happier with the purchase for the long haul since you had your T/A for quite sometime now. May as well take the bigger step to the C6 instead of the smaller C5 step which may appear as not such a hugh improvement compared to the T/A. Im assuming your going to go from no payments to a payment, so make it worth it and actually see a larger difference in performance and looks. Not a big fan of Converts, go with a targa top, those look awesome when removed. Either way, good luck.
The C5 is a big step over the T/A. Maybe not in strait line speed, but in everything else. F-Body's seem like a toy car comparatively. The plastic door panels, dash, power window motors, cheap seats, usually dented quarters, and worse handling, make these the poor mans Corvette. Don't get me wrong F-bodies are great drag/muscle cars. I like them a lot, but they are not close to the Corvette

Quick Reply: Need some buying advice