Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need help with differences between LS1 & LS2 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with differences between LS1 & LS2 fitment

Can anybody tell me what would be necessary to replace an LS2 in a C6 Vette with an LS1 that came from an older vette? I remember hearing when the LS2 first came out that to replace an LS1 you needed harnesses for the Knock Sensors & other sensors. If this is true, does anybody make harnesses to go from LS2 to LS1? Also, are there differences in the reluctor wheels on the cranks of the LS1 & LS2..? Will LS3 heads fit an LS2..?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need to change your knock sensor harness, and location. What I did was cut the factory harness for the knock sensors, then solder then to some longer wire, run them along side the outside lower block area, in the exact location that the factory LS2 ones where,..and just tap(cause I think the thread pitch is different) and thread them into the block, again, where the factory LS2 ones would go. That where I put my factory LS1 knock sensors.

As far as reluctor wheel, that depends on your year. I did not have to change mine, or have to go to a box(lingenfelter sells a box to convert from 24 to 58tooth wheel) so, what you can do is get your year, around an 05 LS2, and you may not need anything but to plug it in and go.

I think I had to notch my passenger side motor mount bracket, not the actual mount. Not sure if I am forgetting something but that is what I have done a couple of times while putting LS2's in LS1 cars.

LS3 heads WILL fit an LS2 but you will then need a square port LS3 intake manifold to go with the LS3 heads.

Engine harness, is the same for the most part.

Quick Reply: Need help with differences between LS1 & LS2 fitment