Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

06 zo6 surging with gt-21 cam?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 zo6 surging with gt-21 cam?!

I just bought a 06 zo6 that is cammed with gt-21 and vr intake with kooks headers, at low rpm almost between 1 and 1.5 it surges very hard seem as riding horses lol, i think riding a horse is a little bit smoother. Any way it is just a normal issue or it can be fixed with tuning? Because Im thinking to change the cam it cant be driving in traffic only with rev up to 2 rpm and let the clutch slightly ( the owner of the car told me that was tuned)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably needs a real tuner.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Probably needs a real tuner.
it has been tuned before 1 year or 2 years, I know it was tuned with rich fuel but I got cofused about the surging today it surged in the 4th gear at 4 rpm
Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

get it retuned
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
get it retuned
Wouldnt be from the clutch? It has the factory clutch! they told alot of reasons for the surging someone told me it need an 102 fast manifold or from the weak clutch
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure whoever told you it needed a Fast 102 was also the same person that was going to sell you one. Could be timing, throttle cracker, injector data, etc. The LS7 manifold isn't the cause.

If you go WOT does the clutch ever stay on the floor? Does the fluid look good?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Teching In

I'm sure whoever told you it needed a Fast 102 was also the same person that was going to sell you one. Could be timing, throttle cracker, injector data, etc. The LS7 manifold isn't the cause.

If you go WOT does the clutch ever stay on the floor? Does the fluid look good?
I just put a clutch flood, changed the spark plugs with ngk 6 and cleaned the intake with the throttle body
Now Im infront of the dyno and it will get retuned
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

sweet keep us posted . But the clutch should be fine being cam only and the fast 102 isnt going to do a ton. Get some heads and then the 102 would help out . Or just have the ls7 ported.

Who is doing the dyno tuning on the vette. Post some pics of vids.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even w/ a retune, or a better tune, what you're experiencing is probably still going to happen. The GT-21 makes great power, but it's due to the extremely aggressive lobes it's on. Since it's running such aggressive lobes surging and bucking at low speeds is most likely never going to go away. Also, if you haven't checked valve springs lately, I would. The GT-21 runs LSK lobes, which are tough on all things valvetrain.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
sweet keep us posted . But the clutch should be fine being cam only and the fast 102 isnt going to do a ton. Get some heads and then the 102 would help out . Or just have the ls7 ported.

Who is doing the dyno tuning on the vette. Post some pics of vids.
The tuner connect the computer and told that the zo6 ecu is locked from another tuner. I asked someone and he told that the 06 zo6 ecu cannot be locked.
Just waiting for the tuner to chexk the ecu
Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427zm
Even w/ a retune, or a better tune, what you're experiencing is probably still going to happen. The GT-21 makes great power, but it's due to the extremely aggressive lobes it's on. Since it's running such aggressive lobes surging and bucking at low speeds is most likely never going to go away. Also, if you haven't checked valve springs lately, I would. The GT-21 runs LSK lobes, which are tough on all things valvetrain.
the cam was installed with complete kit just as valves, ferrea springs
Old 04-26-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP-DUB
the cam was installed with complete kit just as valves, ferrea springs
Gotcha. As for the ECU being locked, it's not from the factory. What's happened is whomever tuned it when they installed the package, locked the ECU forcing you to go back to them for all adjustments.

If the ECU was locked from the factory, there would be no way to run an aftermarket cam. You have to make air and fuel adjustments when you install a cam, and if the ECU was locked from the factory there would be no way to do this.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

the tuner is going to have to start from scratch . which isnt necessary a bad thing either.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tuner connect the computer and told that the zo6 ecu is locked from another tuner. I asked someone and he told that the 06 zo6 ecu cannot be locked.
Just waiting for the tuner to chexk the ecu
Probably locked because the tuner is a hack. Have your tuner pull it and post that **** up.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Probably locked because the tuner is a hack. Have your tuner pull it and post that **** up.
I would like to run it but it may harm the engine because of bad tuning, its fuel is rich
The tuner told me to buy a new ecu :/ or to find the tuner that locked it
Old 04-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Gotcha. As for the ECU being locked, it's not from the factory. What's happened is whomever tuned it when they installed the package, locked the ECU forcing you to go back to them for all adjustments.

If the ECU was locked from the factory, there would be no way to run an aftermarket cam. You have to make air and fuel adjustments when you install a cam, and if the ECU was locked from the factory there would be no way to do this.
I know but it cannot be retune because of the lock. Im thinking about a new ecu
Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know but it cannot be retune because of the lock. Im thinking about a new ecu
Do you know who tuned it originally? If so, contact him and jump his butt for locking it. That's completely wrong.

Also, call lingenfelter. If there is any group that may know a "master password" for a GM ecu it'd be them. Let them know what's going on and they may be able to help.

I'd do all that before buying an ecu.

Last, the tuner ran it rich for complete safety. It may run less than optimally, but it won't blow up. If it's in the 11.5:1 range, you're fine. You're leaving power on the table, but it's safe. I'm speaking from experience on this last part for sure.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Do you know who tuned it originally? If so, contact him and jump his butt for locking it. That's completely wrong.

Also, call lingenfelter. If there is any group that may know a "master password" for a GM ecu it'd be them. Let them know what's going on and they may be able to help.

I'd do all that before buying an ecu.

Last, the tuner ran it rich for complete safety. It may run less than optimally, but it won't blow up. If it's in the 11.5:1 range, you're fine. You're leaving power on the table, but it's safe. I'm speaking from experience on this last part for sure.
I will contact them. what timing shoulb be tuned with it to be safe? Im thinking about 21 timing
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey bud, here's your C6Z ECU!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...al-cooler.html
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Teching In

thanks, but do you how much is for a new ecu? I heard it is about 330$ ?, Im thinking about a used ecu but I dont know it it was tuned and also locked :/

Quick Reply: 06 zo6 surging with gt-21 cam?!