Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What Made You Buy a C7 Corvette Over the Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Made You Buy a C7 Corvette Over the Viper?

What Made You Buy a C7 Corvette Over the Viper?

https://ls1tech.com/articles/made-bu...te-2015-viper/

We’re looking for you who have either made the purchase of the C7 or are waiting on the C7 version of the ZO6 and not the diehard loyal guys who have bought nothing but Corvettes. What was it about the Viper that didn't appeal to you?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This might be my personal GM bias speaking, but perhaps Chevy's better advertising or the Corvette's mutli-generation fan base might have something to do with it. Of course, the MUCH lower base price, better looks + options to suit mild to wild customer tastes, there is plenty to point to which would explain the C7's appeal over the Viper.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1981TA
This might be my personal GM bias speaking, but perhaps Chevy's better advertising or the Corvette's mutli-generation fan base might have something to do with it. Of course, the MUCH lower base price, better looks + options to suit mild to wild customer tastes, there is plenty to point to which would explain the C7's appeal over the Viper.
I agree with this response. I couldn't explain it any better!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say the corvette is a bit more practical as well. It doesn't have a plethora of asininely expensive and exclusive parts on it like the Vipers do. Someone who could afford either a Corvette or a Viper would surely consider the cost of ownership/maintenance/replacement parts.

The upcoming Z06 will likely make the Viper a thing of the past. Cheaper, as fast or faster, and automatic and convertible options to boot. Furthermore, the SRT Moniker just added to the confusion in an already not-ideal playing field for the Viper.

The only few things the Viper has on the Corvette is build quality, materials, and vheicle exclusivity. The fit and finish on the Viper is all very high quality, moreso than the Corvette.

Looks and appearance are personal preferences, these other things I've listed above really aren't.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1981TA
This plus

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I'd say the corvette is a bit more practical as well. It doesn't have a plethora of asininely expensive and exclusive parts on it like the Vipers do. Someone who could afford either a Corvette or a Viper would surely consider the cost of ownership/maintenance/replacement parts.

The upcoming Z06 will likely make the Viper a thing of the past. Cheaper, as fast or faster, and automatic and convertible options to boot. Furthermore, the SRT Moniker just added to the confusion in an already not-ideal playing field for the Viper.

The only few things the Viper has on the Corvette is build quality, materials, and vheicle exclusivity. The fit and finish on the Viper is all very high quality, moreso than the Corvette.

Looks and appearance are personal preferences, these other things I've listed above really aren't.
Is a damn good explanation of why corvettes sale better. How ever if i could afford a Viper i would and id love to have the new vette as well.

On another note i bet the aftermarket probably plays a roll in the decision as well. Aftermarket for the Viper is more expensive than the aftermarket for the Vette
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

I think its funny when people say the Vette looks better. Looks are subjective for the most part lol I'm not a newer Mopar fan. I love the old school stuff as I have a 74 Challenger but the new stuff is all over priced, heavy, and bland. With that being said, if I had the money to buy either one and not worry about cost of ownership, I would buy the Viper hands down. Not because its faster or anything like that, but just because I personally love the car. I love the lines, the double hump roof, the side exit exhaust, everything! To ME it the best lookin american sports car made but that is my opinion.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
I think its funny when people say the Vette looks better. Looks are subjective for the most part lol I'm not a newer Mopar fan. I love the old school stuff as I have a 74 Challenger but the new stuff is all over priced, heavy, and bland. With that being said, if I had the money to buy either one and not worry about cost of ownership, I would buy the Viper hands down. Not because its faster or anything like that, but just because I personally love the car. I love the lines, the double hump roof, the side exit exhaust, everything! To ME it the best lookin american sports car made but that is my opinion.
I agree with this 100%. There's something "exclusive" about having a Viper, and there's no denying that.

You tell me which car snaps more heads around and commands attention:

A C6, a C7, or ANY GENERATION Viper?

Even the C6ZR1, to the layman, looks no different than the 65yr olds regular LS2/3 Corvette that puts around with it on Sunday.

And as stated, the build quality and finish are LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything Corvette has ever done.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rode in a newer viper and i wasn't impressed with the "build quality" at all. It made weird clunking noises and the car had less than 3000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong the car looks GREAT and you def will turn more heads in the viper. I guess it just depends on what is important to you. For me i would take the C7 Z06 over the viper hands down any day.....
Old 09-27-2014, 01:48 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 02LS1z
I have rode in a newer viper and i wasn't impressed with the "build quality" at all. It made weird clunking noises and the car had less than 3000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong the car looks GREAT and you def will turn more heads in the viper. I guess it just depends on what is important to you. For me i would take the C7 Z06 over the viper hands down any day.....
Eh, to each his own. It's a street legal race car pretty much. I don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac. If I'm spending money to be noticed, the viper wins fairly handily for me.

The new z06 is going to be flat nasty though. I truly hope actual enthusiasts can afford the car so they aren't wasted on the retired men that drive 5 under the limit and never under any circumstance get over 3k rpm.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of the comments are interesting. Both these cars are never driven to their potential which makes them both more of a status symbol. Looks are All preference but the "lack" of options, price, and personalization for the Viper are what I would think kill the sales. On the technical side, I would say the Vette is light years ahead of the Viper. Motor trend did a write up where the Viper had vents falling off during normal driving etc. the interior was a huge jump in quality and materials versus the old but the vette has more transmission options, more engine options, more suspension options etc. the z06 will flat out, out perform any viper that they have on the market and start at almost 30k less. It really is all personal preference and how deep your pockets are. Both Cars I would graciously accept in my driveway.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, we can all agree that the Viper is grossly overpriced and the Vette is just plain bad *** , right?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Viper just dropped in price man
Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 214Chevelle
So, we can all agree that the Viper is grossly overpriced and the Vette is just plain bad *** , right?
Nope. I'd take an ACR or Viper TA any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a Vette. Any Vette.

Quick Reply: What Made You Buy a C7 Corvette Over the Viper?