Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

The worst day of my life...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst day of my life...

Last thursday I was driving my DD home from a local conveience store (1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - LS1 T-56) I've owned this car since it had 8k miles on it and never expected to see it go down this way. This car was OVER maintained. Mobile One oil changes at ever 2k miles (yes I know its overkill) Just to give you an idea... well now my baby is finished.. I fell asleep around a turn and hit a tree almost dead on. The body is totalled. I'm planning to rent a few bays off an old friend to tear it down and see what is still salvageable. I'm fairly sure the engine itself and the tranny have survived. I also have 2 other cars, an 89 irocz with a fresh roller 350 4bolt block, simply needs a trans to be driveable. I plan to rebuild the factory 700r4, install a transgo 2+4 shift kit along with a 2.5k sthall lockup converter. I'd follow that up by swapping the origional 2.72 drum brake rear diff with the 10 bolt unit from my trans am complete with strange axles, zexel torsion posi unit with a set of 3.42's and rear disc brake setup. I also plan to look into possibly swapping the front brake units from the 4th gen to the 3rd. I will also likely swap all of the seats and any other suggestions you may have...
Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 AM

Now to my real questions/suggestions. Currently my 86 corvette is my project car, I aquired it as a roller with no engine and a trans... I've since installed a fairly well built gen 1 SBC with 4ooish crank hp slightly higher torque.. Running a holley 650dp and edelbrock performer rpm intake for induction, runs well and sounds mean but the trans needs a rebuild... If everything works out and I am able to get the work space and the LS1 and t-56 are in fact fine I would like to swap them into the 86 vette
Old 12-26-2014, 01:30 AM

I'm looking for tips and suggestions from others who have already undertaken this type of swap.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, glad youre ok man. Ive worked graveyard for a few years now and a few years ago I had a long commute. I almost fell asleep a few times myself so I know how dangerous it can be.

Quick Reply: The worst day of my life...