Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

243 head swap on LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 243 head swap on LS1

I have a set of 243 heads that I bought from an 06 I think. They are in great shape with 25k on them. I was wondering what it takes to install them. They will be going on a 98 C5. I know that I will need new bolts. I think I am going to spend the money on arp studs and do it right. I also know I need centerbolt valve covers and coil brackets. I am not sure about pushrods, lifters and head gaskets. What head gasket do I use? I was going to go with cometic, but do I get them for a 98 LS1 or something else. Stock pushrods ok?? or do I need new and is the stock 7.4 length ok? Then my lifters are they ok or I have read about moving to the ls7 ones. My car has 120K on it now. Let me know what you guys think. I want to swap these out and have done plenty of head jobs and auto work but I always replaced stock with stock.

THanks for the help!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeredk21
I have a set of 243 heads that I bought from an 06 I think. They are in great shape with 25k on them. I was wondering what it takes to install them. They will be going on a 98 C5. I know that I will need new bolts. I think I am going to spend the money on arp studs and do it right. I also know I need centerbolt valve covers and coil brackets. I am not sure about pushrods, lifters and head gaskets. What head gasket do I use? I was going to go with cometic, but do I get them for a 98 LS1 or something else. Stock pushrods ok?? or do I need new and is the stock 7.4 length ok? Then my lifters are they ok or I have read about moving to the ls7 ones. My car has 120K on it now. Let me know what you guys think. I want to swap these out and have done plenty of head jobs and auto work but I always replaced stock with stock.

THanks for the help!!!
I wouldn't do head studs at the compression level you are at, N/A. ARP bolts should be plenty sufficient. Definitely do the ls7 lifters (get new trays also). While you're in there, timing chain and since you have it off the cam and oil pump out of the way a 02-04 ls6 cam would be a nice upgrade that is easy on the valvetrain (stock pushrods, etc). ls1 cometics are fine. At 120k, new valve springs on those 243's would be a great idea and good insurance.

Quick Reply: 243 head swap on LS1