Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New build, 416 C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build, 416 C5 Z06

Thought I would post and get some advice. I usually just troll and read/research here and on cf. Started a new build and looking for some input from those in the know. I'll add pictures of shiny things as I go and add a bit of what brought me to putting the Ls3 in.

A little history. Car is a 2002 C5 Z06, had a stock bottom end with usual bolt-ons, cam, clutch etc. Bought the car already modified for the most part. Car made good power and pulled hard to redline. Trapped 118 last year at the track. All was well.

Fast forward to this spring, took it out to the local speedway(KY Speedway) and got to do 30+ laps in the car along with a few buddies in their cars. Had a bit of ticking after getting it home which promoted some poking around. Cam was flaking/grooving and it was evidently hungry and ate some lifters. By this time I decided to pull the motor and survey the entire motor/clutch.

If you made it this far, I applaud you. I'll continue in another post and post some pictures of the carnage.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Before I even go into the build, know that I do all of my own work that I can. All work is being done in my garage, without a lift by me and some buddies and sometimes.... cough .... my wife helping when they can.

I've decided on the 416 LS3. Not sure how the forum is about adding names of builders. So, specs so far.
Callies Compstar crank and rods
Wiseco -3cc pistons w/steel top/napier second
Billet reluctor wheel
Clevite bearings
Arp main studs and Arp 2000 rod bolts
Ordered and waiting. Still time to make some changes as I'm waiting on the crank from Callies.

The clutch did show up. It's a Monster LT1SC twin, standard flywheel and of course new slave and hardware. From ordering to my door it was 4 days. ..... Thanks guys. It looks insane for my little street car

Have also purchased cylinder heads but they are not in my hands yet, TFS 255 with stock rockers w/ trunion upgrade. They will have to be gone through and made sure they are up to par.

So far that is where I'm at. Next decision is cam, oil pump, timing set and injectors. I will be using Morel 5206 lifters, they just haven't been ordered yet.

Please keep in mind with suggestions that this is a street car first, strip/track car second. I drive it as much as possible but it is also not my daily. I can live with a rowdy cam but it has to be able to idle with the ac kicking in summer traffic.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice now make sure you get a custom cam to make power. My old 02 C5Z with 416 NA was quick and fast 10.30 @ 136 NA and was totally streetable.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sugey
Nice now make sure you get a custom cam to make power. My old 02 C5Z with 416 NA was quick and fast 10.30 @ 136 NA and was totally streetable.
Yes your 416 was a screamer !!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Planning on any spray?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Definitely going custom on the cam. Billet 8620 core with what I'm sure will be a nasty grind. Spray is in the plan eventually but only a baby shot, 100 or so. Trying to build a nice all motor car that can put it down.

Carnage pics from old cam. The pattern it left on the lifters is strange to say the least. Looks as though the cam itself started flaking off and took the lifters. Maybe someone with more valvetrain insight can say. It had fresh BTR .650 platinum springs on it. The ones I replaced were duals and didn't seem wore, I changed them for peace of mind Odd thing is, it kept great oil pressure and only had a slight tick at best. I thought for sure it would be a minor scuff on A lifter, not 7 missing pieces of the wheel and a destroyed cam. Pistons, rod bearings and most everything else looked alright considering. Mains bearings were toast.

Specs

And a new shiny clutch, thing is much beefier than I thought. Should be a nice step up from the Textralia that was in it.

The car just waiting for more parts, going to start cleaning things up while waiting. Front cradle is horribly dirty and I need to remove the air pump, rest of the exhaust and torque tube. Don't mind my dirty garage.... I'll clean it before posting any more pictures of it ..... ha

Last edited by ncongnito; 05-10-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added cam spec picture
Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna continue to track the car? May wanna go dry sump if so...or get a proper oilpan...etc.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I would love to dry sump the car, it's mostly a street car that see's some 1/4 time. Running the track was an oddball thing and had nothing/little to do with the failure. I was not pushing it hard and I was on street tires, it was a fundraiser type deal. I did get it to 140+ there though, the guys at the track were being very leniant on our group.

I've been slacking on updates as I've been wrenching on the car alot lately. I'll add some pics and update my progress maybe this weekend.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omg ****

Quick Reply: New build, 416 C5 Z06