Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Twin turbo LSx 408 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo LSx 408 corvette

I have a 2001 corvette which has an LSx 408 with twin 61mm turbonetics turbos . It doesn't seem to run quite right at idle with the O2 sensors on. Turn them off it runs great. Gets horrible gas mileage but runs great at idle. My biggest problem is it cuts off randomly while out driving when I push in the clutch to coast to a stop. The rpm drops to 500 bounces back to 1100 then it cuts off. It mainly does it after I have really driven it hard. Every once and a while after normal driving. I left it with my tuner for a week to drive and work it out but to no avail. The rolling idle is 1100 and it drops to 900 when I stop. My tuner thinks the pushrods are to long which causes it to run "muddy" at idle with the O2 sensors on. Could that be the cause of my engine cutting off while driving?

Thanks for any input, Rusty
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds tune related...or you have a couple of bad o2 sensors. Maybe the wires are pinched or melted? Only time I have seen a car stall out(cut off)...is a MAF sensor going bad...or tune issue.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Sounds tune related...or you have a couple of bad o2 sensors. Maybe the wires are pinched or melted? Only time I have seen a car stall out(cut off)...is a MAF sensor going bad...or tune issue.
Thank you for the response. I will check the wires. And probably replace the O2 sensors and go from there.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem. If you can get your hands on a scan tool to look at real time data...IE how the O2 sensors are swinging or lack there of, it might point you in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a similar issue with my 414, though Im Na. It turned out to be a o2 sensor causing the injector pulse on bank 2 to increase. The o2 is reporting a lean condition and it is trying to correct it but the o2 never reads the change. Mine ended up being the ECM pin for that 02 being burnt out so it would always read a steady lean voltage.

not saying this is your exact problem but worth looking into. A good scan tool will definitely help you out. Mine seemed really sluggish and with it being a manual became very difficult to get it out of first without feathering the throttle I just assumed it to be fouled plugs (which it was). So it cuased erratic idle poor throttle response and got worse and worse until I figured it out.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo LSx 408 corvette