Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette guys - should I avoid this car?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette guys - should I avoid this car?

So I found a 2005 C6 I am somewhat interested in. I live in Canada and it is a USA import - lots of that going on here for some reason.
It is at a dealership, they are asking about $19000 USD for it (converted from CAD)
The mileage is roughly 36000 miles (converted)

Can anyone shed light as to why so many Corvettes are imported to Canada from the USA? I have been looking for one for over a year and it is actually quite astounding how many USA cars are up here. Are they dumping them because the laws are different?

Secondly, it appears that this is an OEM buyback (Lemon)
Should I avoid this? I don't believe we have lemon laws up here so I am unfamiliar whether this is something to worry about or not.

I chopped the Carproof as there was some info about the owner on it I didn't want to post in public.

Thanks!

The car's journey:

The OEM Buyback:
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That doesn't seem like a great deal. LS2 engine too
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

They are selling C5's up here for that much. Our economy is in the shi**er but the prices for cars haven't followed the downward spiral for some reason.

I have seen the odd C6 for around 22000 CAD (about 17000 USD) but they only pop up a few times a year. Is LS2 bad? I am a Camaro guy and I don't know much about Corvette drivetrain.

I am not getting one to race or mod. Just rip around town and on the odd trip.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS2 is not bad, ls3 is just great
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like it was "lemoned" in california. see if you can contact CA and find out why or at least research their lemon law.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just avoid a 2005 in general - there are a lot of 05 only parts and issues, such as the column lock, steering position sensor making the cars active handling freak out for no reason. 05 ECU's and diffs are one year only - I've also seen a handful of 05's who have had there harmonic balancers come loose.
If it were me I'd look for a 06+
Old 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
I would just avoid a 2005 in general - there are a lot of 05 only parts and issues, such as the column lock, steering position sensor making the cars active handling freak out for no reason. 05 ECU's and diffs are one year only - I've also seen a handful of 05's who have had there harmonic balancers come loose.
If it were me I'd look for a 06+
And if you don't put the shifter in reverse the battery dies. Such a cruel joke.

I second the 06+ idea.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^ taken from CA.Gov website

The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait and keep looking for 08 and above.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

I thought I would update this. Thanks everyone for your input.
Somebody bought the car. They got a loan for it. Wow. Probably best for me due to the responses here. They paid well over retail price for a car labelled Lemon on a Car Proof that also had a previous repair on it.
It was a sharp car but I told my GF only a fool would buy that car for what the dealer was asking and I wasn't going to be "that fool". Apparently someone else was, lol.

I am still looking for a Vette and may buy a cheap C5 if one pops up. And am definitely looking for a 2008+ after reading this thread. They are still dropping in price and I have seen a few 2008's for around $25 000 USD. They go quick but they are showing up more and more. I will probably wait until next year as summer is coming to a close soon and might find a deal over the winter.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:17 PM

I've heard the same things about 2005 Corvettes.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot about this thread!
We looked at a few C5's and bought this one.
Picture def doesn't do it justice. That is a crappy cell picture taken in the rain. It's a lot sharper in person.
I was thinking of just enjoying it for the rest of the summer and getting a C6 next year but this car is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. It scoots pretty good.

We are Canadian but in USD, we paid about +/- $11 500 for it and it has about 85000 miles. Decently maintained, no leaks, suspension is nice and tight. Most everything works (for now). It needs a few odds and ends - mostly cosmetic - but was to be expected. Most used cars we buy the owners seem to have given up on them towards the end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette guys - should I avoid this car?