C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Supercharger vs Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger vs Nitrous

Hey all,

At a crossroads with my build. I have a 98 Vette Coupe with stock heads, BTR Stage 2 cam, rods, valves, springs, LS6 intake, MAMW CAI, Top Speed Pro1 LT headers, X pipe, Borla stingers, NGK plugs, street tune, NT01s all around, and short throw shifter (MTI). Guessing around 400 at the wheel, although car hasn't yet been on the dyno.

Giving myself ~2k for the next mod, thinking about doing a used supercharger kit vs nitrous wet kit. Goal for the build is 500whp+. Still on the stock clutch and fuel pump, but will be swapping that out for the next part of the build.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,

Vijay
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't seen any complete blowers for 2k. Since that's your budget I'd stick with nitrous and use the left over money on something else
Old 07-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Teching In

I can probably be a bit flexible with my budget for a complete blower kit... new to the forums, what kinds of prices have people been asking? I've seen (just with quick glance) ball park of 3-3500 bucks. That on the money?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You also need to take into account for a fuel system for the blower. Is this a street car or more of a strip car? In my humble opinion, a supercharger is going to be far more fun on a street car, particularly a street car that you do not solely use for dig or roll racing. You've always got boost on tap, you don't have to mess around with filling bottles, you don't have issues with bottle pressure, etc. Like others have said, a supercharger is going to cost you more up front, but that's just the nature of wanting a supercharged setup.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Nitrous would definitely be more cost efficient for what you're wanting to do (if you do it right). We have several plate systems for the LS engines that are proven performers and can get you up to 400HP on demand. What kind of TB and intake combo are you running?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vijay Venugopal
Hey all,

Giving myself ~2k for the next mod, thinking about doing a used supercharger kit vs nitrous wet kit. Goal for the build is 500whp+. Still on the stock clutch and fuel pump, but will be swapping that out for the next part of the build.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,

Vijay
I happen to have a nice nitrous kit with a standalone fuel cell, hard lines, heated bottle bracket I'm going to sell. Asking under $1k for the kit. Send me a PM if you want to know more.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I debate with myself everyday about this exact topic.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Hey guys,

The car is a street car that gets some very infrequent street time. The mods are listed in the youtube video. Basically a bolt on, cam only car. Stock heads and TB, into an LS6 intake.
Working on a deal with an older vortech V1 unit to build over the winter. If it falls through, then I will be sending out a few PMs.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Nitrous