Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Adding a cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a cam

I am thinking about doing a cam soon on my LS2. It has just under 7k miles and I have 1 3/4 long tube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, corsa, rear exhaust, CAI, plugs, and wires.

I was looking at going with something like the BTR stage 3 kit, pushrods, and new timing chain, front engine gasket, and an ARP harmonic balancer bolt.

Aside from that is there anything else I need?

How long did it take to do your cam swap?

What can I expect to pay for a tune?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Before you buy anything, it would probably be best to find your tuner talk to him about what you are planning. Make sure he is comfortable with what you are doing. He can probably help you plan out the mods.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Since you have an LS2 you have the LS2 timing chain which is actually what a lot of us LS1/LS6 folks upgrade too when doing a cam swap so might as well keep that especially with only 7k miles on the motor.

You could also consider a good quality aftermarket harmonic balancer. Reason I say that is because my buddy with an LS2 Vette had that known C6 LS2 balancer wobble happen to him. While there, not a bad time to replace the potentially problematic OEM piece with something else.

I would also consider a rocker trunnion upgrade especially with a cam that size. Some good ones to look into would include Straub and CHE.

The dyno tune cost will certainly vary but I'd figure in the $400 neighborhood.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Just ordered an ATI HB and bolt...

Quick Reply: Adding a cam