Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Going from a modded 01 Z to a stock C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from a modded 01 Z to a stock C5

I've decided I want to make the jump from "the minors to the majors", and get me a Corvette. Although a stock C5 will be a little slower than my Z, some mods will be able to transfer over, and it will not be long before my 'Vette is faster. Especially when I transfer the nitrous over

Anyway, other than the LS1, I don't know too much about the C5s. I was wanting a '97 to a '99, as I want to TRY to keep the payments close to what mine are now (335.06 a month). The 'Vette will not be my daily driver

'97 is a tossup, it being the first year and all. Are they any less reliable than '98 and up? If not, I will probably hunt for a '97. Again, it's not a daily driver, keep that in mind

Next question, A4 vs M6. My Z28 is a M6, and I love rowing the gears. However, everytime I go to the track, I really wish I had a stalled A4... Do all C5s have the IRS? How exactly does that work? I'm too used to the driveshaft/rearend on these F-Bodys, and I don't know crap on how the IRS works. Anyone feel like hinting me in?

And finally, when it comes to drag racing hard, what are the C5s weak points? Example, the 10 bolt rear end on my Z28, and probably clutch too, what's the weak point on the 'Vettes? My goal for the Z28 was 11s N/A and 10s on the bottle, and that will transfer over to the 'Vette. I wouldn't mind having an automatic 'Vette, mainly due to consistancy and what not. That and I would love to tell the ricers that they got beat by an automatic. I mean you know, in ricer land, manuals are ALWAYS at least 3 seconds faster than an automatic

Although it's not a daily driver, I want it to be fun too. In other words, a targa top WILL be a requirment. I don't want a convertible (weight), and I definetley do not want a FRC. Lighter, yes. But I'll just spray a little more to negate that I've always wanted a targa top, and if I get a 'Vette, I will have mine

Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you made up your mind...A 1999 automatic ..

Throw a convertor/gears/cam and your good to go..

although I bet you miss the stick shift in short order..

Check out the various corvette forums...

With the C6 hitting all hells breaking loose on C5's especially ones with automatics..
Old 07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

So let's say I took it to the track with converter/gears/cam/nitrous

If I had sticky tires on (ET streets/drags, etc) and launched fairly hard, what would be the first thing to go? If it was an f-body I would bet on the rear end going out. But what about a 'Vette?
Old 07-18-2004, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Vette can take some abuse.I see people running 9's on the stock rear.Not much of a fan of the A4.Great on the track but can only drive them a few miles on the street before I .An A4 just doesn't feel like a sportscar on the street.

They can run fast at the track.My 02 with an intake and tune ran 12.4's at 112 with the stock tires at 32psi M6
Old 07-18-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't drive the 'Vette very much, so I don't think it being A4 would bother me much, especially with a big stall

But damn, parts for 'Vette's are expensive. What kind of suspesnion/chasis work do 'Vette's need
Old 07-19-2004, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

If price is an issue avoid the 97 and 98 cars. I say this due to the heads are the perimiter bolt syle, NOT the center bolt of 99 and up LS1's. About the tranny. Its your choice I love my 6 speed and yes I do give up consistency at the track, but I will never go with an automatic car. It's likley that when you buy an automatic that it will have 2.73 gears. I would make this the first priority to change. 3.90 or higher is what I would do and while you have the rear end out you can change the torque converter also. With taller gears you will likely go with sticky tires. I will clue you in, its not a secret either. The left output shaft (drivers side) is the weak link in the C5's drive train. This must be replaced if you are going to increase the HP or gears and run sticky tires out back. PLEASE note this and do not forget. Hardend output shafts will run a little extra money, but are a necessity

The stock C5 suspension has served me well and the most popular suspension mod is lowering by adjusting the bolts for the ride height. Usually you can get about 1" of drop on the stock bolts. Be aware the car may still be equipped with run-flat tires. These tires are very hard and slick! I manged a best of 2.2 on the Goodyear runflats. I switched to non run flat GoodYear F1GSD3's and now can cut a 1.9 60' with a little luck. Try to get the Z51 suspension option. This is the stiffer optioned unit.

I would not worry about the weight difference in the convertable to Targa topped cars. The difference is not real great, but the vert's will cost more. An extra 25hp on the spray would negate the weight difference.

Lot of info here let us know what you decide and do.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strahley
So let's say I took it to the track with converter/gears/cam/nitrous

If I had sticky tires on (ET streets/drags, etc) and launched fairly hard, what would be the first thing to go? If it was an f-body I would bet on the rear end going out. But what about a 'Vette?
Left output shaft...
Old 07-19-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

The suspension's on C5s are pretty amazing. All you really need are some output shafts, maybe some coil overs and you're set. Some guys will add mini-tubs to fit some wider wheels, but you dont see it all that often.

And yes, all stock C5s are IRS. Unless you find one of those rare people who have a solid axle in their C5, but i think you can count those people on both your hands.

Quick Reply: Going from a modded 01 Z to a stock C5