Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 Scare...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Scare...

Had to move a Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic C6 out of the way tonight in the showroom to clear a path for an Avalanche. Having just returned from delivering a car two hours past closing, I snapped at the chance when the manager asked me.

The pitfall of technology: Got in. Keyless entry and start. Light turns green, press the brake, press the start button, lights flicker, doors lock, NOTHING. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Can't open door. Minutes tick by. Lights flicker. Feverishly thumbing through the "Getting To Know Your Corvette" book to double check my starting procedure.

Yep, key fob in car, press brake, press start. O.K. That's not working. So we open the glove box and insert the key fob facing the passenger side door for an emergency start. Click, click. It's getting HOT and the air is running out inside the car. As tight as the interior is in the C6 (Smaller than the C5) and not being able to lower the windows or unlock the doors, I began to panic just a tiny bit.

Finally, I said THE HELL WITH IT! I unlatched the two forward and one aft latches for the roof panel and rolled it back so I could reach out the roof like a dog and breath!!!

After I got my oxygen going again, I saw the emergency door latch on the floor right next to the driver's side door. OOPS! Door open, hood open.
My manager hooked up the portable battery charger. Lights! Ignition! Rumbling LS2 400HP engine!

Got 'er started, rolled 'er out the door and lit 'em up! With the roof panel off, that was one hell of a ride!!!

Now I was in the car for about 20 minutes, but I only got to do some brief driving around the dealership, so I never got to open it up wide. My take is that it's a huge improvement over the C5 in every way.

At least by working late I got to drive a C6 with the roof off on a starry night and I got to learn what to do when you're stuck inside and can't get out!

Now if I can only sell one or two...

Last edited by Dawg One; 09-16-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

So, you can lock yourself in, with this great new technology. No thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dooh.. never mind.. didn't read far enough

Glad you found the latch

Last edited by WILWAXU; 09-16-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

No better reason to speed read through that "Getting To Know Your Corvette" owner's manual !!!
We actually got in a black C6 today and the mechanics neglected to PEEL off the plastic shipping material before they test drove it.
Result? Melted plastic all over the hood. THAT's gonna' hurt....

Last edited by Dawg One; 09-16-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

great story man
Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dawg One
No better reason to speed read through that "Getting To Know Your Corvette" owner's manual !!!
We actually got in a black C6 today and the mechanics neglected to PEEL off the plastic shipping material before they test drove it.
Result? Melted plastic all over the hood. THAT's gonna' hurt....

pay cut IMO
Old 10-05-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like someone didnt put the car in reverse before levaing the car. gotta do that to keep the battery from dieing.

as for the C6 i dont like all this new technology. i want my door handles and keyed ignition switch. i guess im just too old school
Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

oh if you pop the rear hatch and look right at the back of the rear wheel wells on each side youll find too little pull tabs. this will allow you to open the doors from the "outside" if the battery is dead because there is a keyed entry for the hatch up above the liscense plate

Quick Reply: C6 Scare...