Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Do I want a vette or an fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A corvette is the true american sport car icon. One of the most beautiful cars made in the world. I hava always wanted one my self. Performance wise a stock WS6 or SS can almost keep up to a stock C5. The Z06 is a totally different world which a WS6 and SS cant touch.
Considering that the SS and WS6 have become extinct you can own a part of history if you can pick up an 02 if not get an 01 due to the performance. In Chicago, suburbs or even downtown I see many more C5 corvettes than a WS6 and SS.
Beleive it or not many time the agressive styling of the WS6 attract many looks and stares. The smoother lines of the not so common SS also get many stares.
The fact of the matter is that there is a whole new Corvette out there and when you park your C5 next to a C6 you are really going to want that C6 and feel intimidated.
Now if you pick up a SS or WS6 you have a timeless car since there are no future models.
You can park your vehicle in the same lot of the c5 or c6 and glance at a unique and not so common vehicle and say wow!! I am one of a few!!

I was faced with the exact same decision.
Had the option of buying a 2000 C5 for 23,000 with 65,000 miles. Instead I went with a 2002 WS6 with 17,000 miles for 22,000 about 4 months ago.

Just my opion!
Old 09-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
The fact of the matter is that there is a whole new Corvette out there and when you park your C5 next to a C6 you are really going to want that C6 and feel intimidated.

Just my opinion!

You are kidding, right I'll gladly park my Mag Red 2001 C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42) with 395.2rwhp/373.8rwtq next to a fugly Chevron smiley faced C6, and will not feel the least bit intimidated. No, I'll never want a C6, unless the Z06 version loses the bugged eyed headlights & smiley face front, plus has 500bhp.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cary

You are kidding, right I'll gladly park my Mag Red 2001 C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42) with 395.2rwhp/373.8rwtq next to a fugly Chevron smiley faced C6, and will not feel the least bit intimidated. No, I'll never want a C6, unless the Z06 version loses the bugged eyed headlights & smiley face front, plus has 500bhp.
I agree, the C6 has an awesome drivetrain, but it's looks do nothing for me. It no longer has the Corvette look to it. From the front, all Corvettes since 1968 have looked very similar when you see them from a 1/4 mile away coming towards you. But the C6 looks like a Toyota from the front from a distance. The C5 design is perfect, the C6 is a step backwards in that regard.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Everyone has their opinions on styling, and GM didnt really hit it on the head for most people, but my only real complaint w/ the C6 is the fugly V-notch rear end. I thought it was ugly on the C4s, and looks even more hideous on this car. I like the front end, and do agree the LS2 is going to be a beast of a drivetrain. They took the C5 and went in more of a lateral direction instead of forward, but they could've done a worse.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by generalchaos
well I dont have a wealth of cash laying around but I do like the corvette over the fbodys, but the problem is the price differences are high.

other then the obvious looks and things whats really different? from what I can gather up from searching is the fbody is about 300lbs heavier, but seems to get better traction from a different rear end setup or something, they have they same hp, a lot of sites like to say the c5 is slower stock in 1/4, but if I had to guess id say a vette would out do a fbody at a course (like autocross)

im not sure which one I should look into more, vettes 20k and under have a lot of miles on them compared to the fbodys, but getting an fbody how I want is a hard thing to find.

so any thing important I should know? id rather get the faster of the two but if the differences arent to great ill probly just end up hunting for an ss/ws6 some more.

Hey,

I have the same problem. I love the Camaros and how you can make them fast and hit them down the 1/4th in 11 seconds no problem. However a Vette can made for both street and strip in a true sense. You can go corner carving (as long as you have your front sway bar on!!) and hit the track all at once.
Really what you have to think of is what you want to do with the car. If you want to carry people in an uncomfortable way, just drive to work, or have a toy for the daily driver I say get the F-Body. However that doesn't mean a Vette wouldn't be a good daily driver, a customer I use to work for drove her 6 speed 03 in the vette and loved it. She said "it has traction control, i'll be fine."
But to me a Vette is a car you drive on nice days. Thats what I would want to do with a Vette when I get one, I want two to be honest. One has to be a vert!! They are more money, they are more for insurance, but can be made faster (initially anways) cheaper. Some guys in Z06 (top of the line I know) run low 11's with bolt ons and sticky tires, so nice #'s with a car plus under 5K or so invested.
What i plan to do is get an older Vette, most likely a 97-99 since they are hitting rock bottom prices these days. Don't be afraid to buy a plan ticket and drive your Vette home thats the way I want to do it. Would be fun and on the way home get the feel for the car on the highways of America.
I'm in school right now to be a nurse so once I get a job as one I will start to save, but I am realistic in the sense of when I can afford one. For now I will just get the C5 emblem tattoo'ed (however ya spell it) this December on my back . Good things come to those who wait, but maybe you can buy a little toy now (Cobalt SS looks cool) or just drive a crappy car till you can get one, whatever comes first. Wait it out is what I say...

Below is a link to help you find some cheap ones with under 45K. some firehawks with equal and more likely less mileage go for close to 30K. Insurance is just a bug bit on the *** when it comes to any car, ignore it and pay it. Its well worth it to own a classic American Muscle Car!!!!!!

Erik

http://autotrader.com/findacar/resul...used&x=49&y=12
Old 09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A little off topic, but I'm glad see there are others that feel the way I do about the C6's styling. I'm OK with the exposed headlamps, but the lower grill area and hood are steps backwards. The hood is boring and the smiling grill is just ugly to me. I just never get tired of the C5's curves. I still like the C6, but can't see myself trading for one.

If you are still on the fence as to which vehicle to get, go drive them. I loved my F-body, but I can't think of a single instance that I wished I had it back instead of the Vette.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Cool

I'm in the same boat and thought if I read through this thread it would make it a little easier...

I'm trying to decide on a third car and the C5 and F-bodies are near the top of a shrinking list now that the prices are dropping. I bought the Mach1 because my first "dream car" was the '69/'70 model, but I can also remember looking out for the Camaro's and Corvettes whenever out for a drive with the parents. Eckler's showroom was THE place to go when I was a kid

I dunno, I think I'm leaning towards the vette since I've already got the pony car... but there are some awfully good deals on the F-bods right now... This isn't easy

Last edited by grimreefer; 09-27-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Launching!

A c6 does not intimidate me either,i don't really like the hacked rear or fixed front lights,or the carp mouth that goes all the way across the front.I tried hard to like it,but i'll just keep modding my c5,and 12 more payment my c5 is paid-off.The c6 is known to be a short run,so we'll be talking about the c7 in a couple years,another forum i moderate on,has a few c6 fuel sending unit problems already (old c5 problem).The one guy doesn't even have 400 miles yet,Check engine light,and back to the dealer.
The c5 rocks..

I had a 83 trans am for 9 years,went thru many changes,i got sick of chasing the rust around the car.
Like said above,you only live once..don't settle for something if you are temped by something else.We i go to a parking lot/cruise,thewres always tons of LS1 f-bodies and only a few vettes.And there usually modded so non of them look the same..just my observation..

If you like Angalina Joline,don't settle Brittney Spears..

Quick Reply: Do I want a vette or an fbody?