Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Question for u vette owners . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for u vette owners . . .

okay..so i meet up with my buddy's friend who owns a 2002 covertible C5. that's what i noticed at least. well i ask him what year it was. he said it was a "z06 with C5 wheels". he said they only made 100 of them like that in 2002. i asked him how much did he pay for it. he said 73k ! Than i ask him if he's gonna get any mods (cuz it was stock) and he said, he wants a blower. i asked why not get bolt-ons first. he said " my car came with z06 headers" so he popped open his hood and sure enough they're exhaust manifolds and i told him that. he said "no they're titanium headers but they melted and thats why they look rusted"

question is...did chevy REALLY make a C5 with a ls6 in it with C5 wheels and no emblems? sorry it's so long and thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

by the way, we raced and i beat him.. i only have a cam and borla muffler. (stock cat-back..i'm a racer on a budget
Old 10-09-2004, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your buddy is full of it. To begin with, they never put an LS6 in any convertibles! But also, they never made any Z06 Vettes with the regular C5 rims.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

no such thing as a convertible Z06..... and the rims too..... was it even an auto?, lol
Old 10-09-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There were a few conversions that were done to create a Z06 convertible, not sure if that is what he has but based on your description it sounds like a standard convertible.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

For big dollars you can buy Z06 convertible conversions from Caravaggio, but that's not what your friend said or even indicated and they certainly don't come with regular C5 wheels.

He's a BS artist, plain and simple.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

XTrooper's correct. Caravaggio converts Z06s into targa's and converts for a hefty pricetag tho. Ive seen another company who offers a hardtop conversion (kinda like the removable HT from the C1 and C2s) but that too is $$$$. Tell your buddy that no matter how much BS he says, it wont make his vert a Z06, so drop the crap and just tell the truth.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

The first Z06 convertibles were by Wheel to Wheel in 2001, I believe they were shown at the Detroit auto show. One was yellow and the other was black. They were Z06's to begin with and then converted. While they have links to GM, they were not made by GM.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot guys. it was a M6 by the way. i knew he was full of **** but he just wouldn't give it up. i appreciate everyone's feedback
Old 10-09-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Like they all said already, the only ZO6 verts are conversions. A friend of ours down here in Tampa does them, and his prices are VERY reasonable. That's about all he does, is FRC/ZO6 to drop-top conversions. I'll have to try to dig up some of the pics of his conversions. They are top notch, and look as if it was done on the initial build of the car. He also has a few tricks that he does that cuts out much of the road sound, that factory verts still get. Phil's work is incredible and flawless... that's why we send all of our cars to him.
Tell your friend to put the crack pipe down.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i knew he was full of ****. the thing that surprises me the most is that he PAID $73,000 his black convertible, M6, C5 wheels! i told him he could've got a ls2 vette for about 50k. thanks guys
Old 10-11-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white00ws6
yeah i knew he was full of ****. the thing that surprises me the most is that he PAID $73,000 his black convertible, M6, C5 wheels! i told him he could've got a ls2 vette for about 50k. thanks guys
I doubt he paid $73k for the car, he lied about everything else. There is no such thing as Z06 headers...LOL! And no offense, but you aren't going to beat a Z06 with a cam and cat back Camaro. I know, trust me.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

He could've gotten a high milage 97 then sent it to Lingenfelter for a TT 427 kit for damn near 73k. If he paid 73k for a C5 off the showroom floor then I hope it came w/ vasoline cause he got raped hardcore.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

GOD some people, really he has a damn nice car why would he start talking stupid like that??

At least the guys that drive Civic have REASONS to lie....
Old 10-12-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dean-o
I doubt he paid $73k for the car, he lied about everything else. There is no such thing as Z06 headers...LOL! And no offense, but you aren't going to beat a Z06 with a cam and cat back Camaro. I know, trust me.
hey man no offense taken. i KNOW i can't beat one, but i wanted to race it to see if it was a z06 or not. plus i think he was ****
Old 10-12-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by white00ws6
hey man no offense taken. i KNOW i can't beat one, but i wanted to race it to see if it was a z06 or not. plus i think he was ****

What???? I don't know if I agree with that, depending on the cam setup and how good of a driver you should be able to give a Z06 a run for its money, maybe not win but the Z06 owner would recognize. A cam only, header camaro with the right gears and traction could easily give a Z06 a good run. I won't race the guy that bought my WS6 for that reason, I'm not too sure I could take it....

Now in EVERY other area of performance beside passenger capacity a Z06 will destroy the Camaro :p

But yeah the dudes a toad if he drives as bad as he talks **** you should hand him his ***....

Next time you talk to him you should video tape it and have him talk about his car send it to me and I'll host the video for you
Old 10-12-2004, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

Are you guys saying that a cam , gear, fully bolt on camaro will lose to a STOCK zo6 in a drag race? I'm a vette owner who DRAG RACES and I don't ride around in my car thinking that everyone is afraid of me just because I drive a Vette. I see why MOST if not ALL Fbody owners think of us vette owners as Jerks!!!!! LISTEN.. A fully bolt on, geared up, cam only Camaro/Firebird/Trans-AM car will/would/and IS going to absolutely DESTROY a STOCK z06 whether its a 01,02,03,04 ! Some of you vette guys are MORONS clouded by who knows what . I know ...**** ! Come down here , I know plenty guys that will be happy to show you, and after they finish, I'll caniblize you too..for money of course ( You drive a vette, I know you got it ) !
Old 10-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Launching!

A buddy here has one of the Z06 verts,it's also Lambo orange..

I think some told him about the 2001s having ZO6 intakes,and he just embelished the story,or just mis informed.A stock Z runs a 12.4 on our slick track over here.
If you have a scanner,hook up to your friends car.Alot of c5s run around in the low octane tables,very common,most drivers don't even know it.I use 92 octane (highest avail),and i still live in the low tables,21* timing across the RPMs.Only on track nights,i use 100 octane,unleaded from the pump $8.99 a gallon,and reset the PCM.Huge difference in power.Scanner shows 28* across the RPMs,well until i run the tanks run dry again then fill up with the 92 octane again.
My buddy has a 99 anniversary WS6-LS1 6 speed,whisper lid,long tubes and full exhaust,QA1 coil over,etc etc,,,i never lost to him with my 99 A4 3:15 gears with a halltech t-1 intake.Have a video somewere,I would probably lose if i was in the low tables though.We've only raced about 10 times,once on the highway,he let up at 135mph,as i was pulling pretty good on him after 120 or so.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

" a stock Z runs 12.4's at this slippery track " So ! Does that mean every Z owner on the planet can come to your track and run a 12.4 ? How about them 01's ? You are just out driving your friend, and there are always exceptions to every rule, but for the most part it usually ends in a LOSS with a stock vette and a neatly modded fbody. And as for the top side stuff, of course your going to win ( more areo...) , but if he has more power then your ( aero ) can go to *****...I'll continue this later ...got to go now,
Old 10-12-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nytmare
Are you guys saying that a cam , gear, fully bolt on camaro will lose to a STOCK zo6 in a drag race? I'm a vette owner who DRAG RACES and I don't ride around in my car thinking that everyone is afraid of me just because I drive a Vette. I see why MOST if not ALL Fbody owners think of us vette owners as Jerks!!!!! LISTEN.. A fully bolt on, geared up, cam only Camaro/Firebird/Trans-AM car will/would/and IS going to absolutely DESTROY a STOCK z06 whether its a 01,02,03,04 ! Some of you vette guys are MORONS clouded by who knows what . I know ...**** ! Come down here , I know plenty guys that will be happy to show you, and after they finish, I'll caniblize you too..for money of course ( You drive a vette, I know you got it ) !
They never said anything about full boltons. They said cam, header and gears. Hell, 93Wicked even said he wouldnt race the guy who bought his TA for the reason that he couldnt take him, so not everyone in the Y-body crowd is an *******. Plenty of Fbody guys are on here and dont think that everyone in the Y-body crowd is an *******.

And that cammed, bolt-on, geared Fbody only has the potential to beat a Z06. Im not saying it cant be done but with the wrong tune, setup or driver that car aint goin to do ****.

Quick Reply: Question for u vette owners . . .