Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Racing Weight? (gutting interior, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Racing Weight? (gutting interior, etc.)

I’ve been thinking of buying a C6. And I’m heartened to see that the new engine will have 500 BHP; I'm sure everyone’s heard the news which makes that Chevy's official number.

But the thing is, the C6 still weighs over 3100 lbs. and I’d like my next car to mostly be a track-car -- with barely enough comfort and legality to drive it to the track (just to say "This is no trailer-queen and will still beat your <insert non-Chevy here>" ;-) ). ...So I’m comparing the C6 to a kit car which takes Chevy LS V8's, and is essentially a racecar made street-legal (Ultima GTR, about 2300 lbs. even if I put in lots of accessories to make it not just street-legal, but ‘street-comfy,’ as well as the rollcage, fie system, and everything else needed for the typical racing regulations); and my screen name is the weight:hp ratio I’m aiming for. Yeah, that's analogous to a C6 with about 900 BHP , even though I'll be using the same Chevy engine in either car. :-) That's actually the *minimum* weight:HP I'm shooting for. ;-)

My only GM vehicle so far is a truck, so I have some (hopefully) basic questions about the C5/C6 and C6-R, if anyone could please share your knowledge with me:

1. I’m assuming the C6-R isn’t street-legal, so I'd *have* to go with the C6? (Or even if it could be made legal easily, then it’s probably hard to obtain a C6-R, or possibly even only available to their factory team? (but I know the C5-R *was* available to private racers, so that bodes well...) ) If anyone knows who I can contact within GM to discuss getting one, I’d really appreciate it.
2. Barring that, does anyone know whether any lightweight *parts* of the C5-R can be put onto a C5 (or parts of the C6-R put onto a C6)? Since aftermarket parts can be put on any sports car, I'm just figuring GM Goodwrench might supply upgrades for the Vette from the C6-R, similar to how Toyota's TRD department sells upgrades for Toyotas from actual racing vehicles...

3. And if anyone’s saved weight by stripping their C5’s interior, etc., can you please tell me what weight yours was before you started stripping, versus what weight it was afterwards (but if possible, please give the weight *before* you then *added* other weight, such as a rollcage, fire system, etc.)? And just how completely did you gut it (e.g. racing-only spec, semi-streetable, or daily-driver/weekend racer)?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I can't speak for the C6, but if you want to know how much some of the C5 OEM & aftermarket parts weigh, just this out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=976812
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks, that gives me an idea for some small parts I'd change, which add up to about 200 lbs.!

Anyone have any of the weights for other C5 non-racing parts? (e.g. the interior, which leaftye's link mentioned, but didn't give weights for most of the major interior parts) And yeah, leaftye, I can always figure out how many of these parts are similar to the C5 later...or might even buy a used C5 and modify it.

Last edited by 700 BHP, 2400 lbs.; 01-13-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Launching!

The C5R & C6R is built by Pratt & Miller (http://www.prattmiller.com/), and I'm sure they'd be glad to sell one to you. I know they have sold a couple of C5R's. NONE of th C5R components will fit a production car.

However, ACP (http://www.corvetteracebodies.com) manufacures the complete c5 and C6 body in ultra lightweight carbon fiber. A complete body will set you back about $25000

As for interior, you can get about 200lbs out (seats and carpet only weight of consequence). The carpet backing is much heavier than it looks.

If you really wanted to spend the money, you could have a 2700lb C5 or C6 with at least 600HP. The frame/subframes/and mechanical components will keep you from getting a street car any lower, I believe.

Dave Farmer
Old 01-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you say you can remove 200lbs from the interior? I need to know how?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Launching!

well, like I said, the OEM seats and carpet insulation weigh a ton. Then theirs a million trim panels, headliner door glass, glass motors, door panels, speakers.

Really though, the seats and carpet will get close to that.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 700 BHP, 2400 lbs.
Anyone have any of the weights for other C5 non-racing parts? (e.g. the interior, which leaftye's link mentioned, but didn't give weights for most of the major interior parts) And yeah, leaftye, I can always figure out how many of these parts are similar to the C5 later...or might even buy a used C5 and modify it.
Which major interior parts would you like me to weigh? My driver seat is already out of the car, and I could take out the Sparco Evo w/Hardbar bracket is just a few minutes.

My next major update of the Corvetteforum sticky thread will include weights for different harness bars, but for now most manufacturers already post the weight on their websites.

Most other interior parts are already in that thread. If I find the carpet easy enough to take out, I can weight that too. Just let me know if you'd like the driver seat and carpet weighed.

Eugene
Old 01-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Restricted User

Wow, that is a great post! I spent about 20 minutes reading everything over at CF. I never knew there was such vast information on the specifics of a C5. Very good indeed!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:12 AM
Shorty Director

My thing is I want to reduce weight and still look good. I dont want to be looking at metal inside the car while I am driving..
Old 01-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Restricted User

Well, there isn't much option on the 'vettes to save weight. Like Eugene's post states, you either take out the stuff your not using or buy the absolute lightest weight stuff out there - carbon fiber everything and light weight wheels, brakes, rotors, calipers, etc. You will probably spend a ton of money on that stuff. It would probably be cheaper, in the long run, just to have another car as a drag only car...or just make more HP with your current 408 storker to offset the weight.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

You will never hit 2400lbs in a street C6. Even a race car I doubt you could hit that mark.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Well, there isn't much option on the 'vettes to save weight. Like Eugene's post states, you either take out the stuff your not using or buy the absolute lightest weight stuff out there - carbon fiber everything and light weight wheels, brakes, rotors, calipers, etc. You will probably spend a ton of money on that stuff. It would probably be cheaper, in the long run, just to have another car as a drag only car...or just make more HP with your current 408 storker to offset the weight.
Well I do have nitrous... I was just trying to optimize what I have by losing some weight.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Restricted User

Yes, I don't think you'd be happy either. I had the same thoughts on my black car but just went ahead and got another Bu-hog. A few 'vettes went throught the auction last week for 14k. Cheap enough to pick up another and build a monster 454 LS1.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Yes, I don't think you'd be happy either. I had the same thoughts on my black car but just went ahead and got another Bu-hog. A few 'vettes went throught the auction last week for 14k. Cheap enough to pick up another and build a monster 454 LS1.
Well purchasing another C5 is not an option right now. I will figure out something..
Old 01-16-2005, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VINCE
My thing is I want to reduce weight and still look good. I dont want to be looking at metal inside the car while I am driving..
I'm with you. I plan on getting under 3,000 lbs and still have a fairly comfortable daily driver. I've been mulling over the idea of using lightweight carpet. I'm not exactly crazy about the Home Depot or Speed Inc carpets. I'd be pretty happy if I could find a roll of RX-7 (or is it Supra) hollow fiber carpet...it may be louder, but I'd rather hear anything other than the POS Bose stereo. I'm also working on replacing the steering wheel/airbag with a lighter quick release steering wheel...I have a six-point harness. If my windshield ever gets cracked, I'll try out a polycarbonate windshield...they're getting much better durability, and if it's laminated with the same stuff as regular windshields, I should be okay. Someday I'll get motivated and remove the AIR system. The Halltech Halternator is an expensive way to drop ten pounds. If you can accept the extra risk to safety and frame damage, take the foam out of the bumpers. Ti springs are becoming more common....it'd be a great way to reduce unsprung weight with a set of coilovers that also use aluminum bodied shocks. If I can do it, I'll drop down to 12.19 front brake rotors with an aluminum hat. The smaller size means the rotors will heat up more, but I'll offset that with more ducting. 12.19 rotors are about a third of the price of stock size rotors. Even if they were the same weight as the stockers, the effect to rotating weight would be reduced due to the smaller diameter. I'll combine this with lighter Wilwood calipers.

Anyway, these are just a few ideas, and they're already expensive. I can't do this all at once with my modest military enlisted paychecks, and my goal to prep my car to run the 150 mph class in an open road race. Good thing for me is that the Corvette is a car I can happily own for life, so I should have lots of time.

NOSJohn, thanks! That thread is still growing. My car is already on ramps, so later today I'll find more information for that thread. Expect major update in 2-3 weeks.

Eugene
Old 01-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Shorty Director

Wow!!! Thanks!!! You have given me some great ideas. I will start investigating for sure..

Quick Reply: Racing Weight? (gutting interior, etc.)