Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge

The oil pressure gauge on my 98 vette when started goes all the way to 80 the max and stays there and when killed goes back to 0 what could this be? Just the sensor or is the gauge bad? What do you recommend?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you could always ground the sensor plug wire. Turn the ign to the on (not start, motor off) position, unplug the oil pressure sensor plug (behind intake manifold). With another wire, ground the pin on the block or somewhere. If it goes down to zero, then its the pressure sensor. If not, then it could be a bad connection on the wire or the gauge itself.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Well you could always ground the sensor plug wire. Turn the ign to the on (not start, motor off) position, unplug the oil pressure sensor plug (behind intake manifold). With another wire, ground the pin on the block or somewhere. If it goes down to zero, then its the pressure sensor. If not, then it could be a bad connection on the wire or the gauge itself.
can you get to the sensor without removing the intake?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure. I'm not rich enough to own a Vette

I'm the engine is cool, lift the hood and reach back behind the intake.
The back of the intake has the map sensor, its not that. A little down and toward the driver sides is the Camshaft sensor (the black plug in the attached picture). To the right of that stands teh oil pressure sending unit. about 3" high. It screws into the threaded hole to the left of the cam sensor in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Gauge-dsc03922.jpg  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

couldy0ou circole those im not sure if i broke the Oil pressure sensor or the Cam position sensor. If its the oil pressure sensor do i need it to run the car smoothly?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
couldy0ou circole those im not sure if i broke the Oil pressure sensor or the Cam position sensor. If its the oil pressure sensor do i need it to run the car smoothly?
I twisted on a new sensor (just a few threads). It is common to break off the black portion, leaving the silver base attached to the block. I couldn't find my broken one though .
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Gauge-dsc03931.jpg  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Im pretty sure its the sensor. Thats the same exact thing that was happening to mine (99 Coupe M6 Corvette) I would change it. Its a little hard to change cause you have ot remove the intake, some people say you dont, but it makes the job a lot easier if you do. Well good luck and check the corvetteforum.com for how to do it your self.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge