Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need help w/ possible Z06 purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help w/ possible Z06 purchase...

A friend of mine is looking into a Z06 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/corve...QQcmdZViewItem

Now, we have searched around for any info we could find on this car, from problems, abuse, power, etc....and have come up pretty short handed. The car claims to make 578rwhp but yet only ran an 11.60 and more suprising was the trap of 127mph, which seems low to me for that power level.

Now he is going to call him tomorrow on the car. If he decides to buy it, we are going to have an appointment set up for a shop to dyno the car and also to run a compression test on the motor before we pick it up. I am curious as to what a good compression result would be for this car, given mods, mileage, etc...

Is there any other things we should specifically look for that are known problems on the 01 Z06's? Synchros? Shift forks? etc..? Just want to be as educated as possible when it comes to buying a $30k car that is 1200 miles away. We are both RX7 people prior to this, been around high horsepower, just not a Z06.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran a carfax and had a buddy who works at a GM dealership run a warranty claim on the VINs. One came back with an accident the owner lied about and the other had just about everything replaced under warranty (window motors, wiper motors, wheels, tranny, pcm, etc).

When you buy something hopped up you are always taking a risk.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Never buy a Corvette anything near NADA when the owner willingly posts photos w/dirty floor mats.

If you can't clean floormats for a series of sales photos... Well, you know the rest.

Asking price is too high IMO.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by xlr8shn
Never buy a Corvette anything near NADA when the owner willingly posts photos w/dirty floor mats.

If you can't clean floormats for a series of sales photos... Well, you know the rest.

Asking price is too high IMO.
I agree with XLR8. Very well said.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Sam - So you are talking about this exact car correct? With the accident? Hmm...that's not promising.

I noticed the floormats as well and pointed at that I thought it was strange that someone would post pics of their car for sale with dirty floormats. I generally always have my cars detailed before I take picturesof it when I post it for sale.

I will call him today and see what he says about the car. I am definately not sold on this car yet, but I assumed at $29k it was not too bad a price given the mods and performance. He is not wantng to own a stock Z06, 350whp is just not what he is looking for, so he kind of has his eye set on either a s/c Z06, or possibly a h/c/e all motor z06 possibly w/ spray.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

An 01 Z06 with 55,000 miles is a $25-27K car stock. $29K assuming the car is not hacked up would be okay, but I'd really go over the car.

I'd make sure the car stays in gear, does not pop out or grind. A trans rebuild will be $1500-2500 installed. I would assume that car is not on it's original clutch.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
An 01 Z06 with 55,000 miles is a $25-27K car stock. $29K assuming the car is not hacked up would be okay, but I'd really go over the car.

I'd make sure the car stays in gear, does not pop out or grind. A trans rebuild will be $1500-2500 installed. I would assume that car is not on it's original clutch.

yep, definitely make sure it's not on original clutch!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lane_change
Sam - So you are talking about this exact car correct? With the accident? Hmm...that's not promising.

I noticed the floormats as well and pointed at that I thought it was strange that someone would post pics of their car for sale with dirty floormats. I generally always have my cars detailed before I take picturesof it when I post it for sale.

I will call him today and see what he says about the car. I am definately not sold on this car yet, but I assumed at $29k it was not too bad a price given the mods and performance. He is not wantng to own a stock Z06, 350whp is just not what he is looking for, so he kind of has his eye set on either a s/c Z06, or possibly a h/c/e all motor z06 possibly w/ spray.
No Im talking about my experience...just bought the 01 I have but had seriously looked at another 01 and an 02. Owners lied. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Teching In

I just got off the phone with him. He sounds like a good guy from the talk, seems like the car has been well taken care of. It used to be a Lingenfelter Z06 when he bought it and he assumes the clutch has been changed at that time, he says there is no slippage at all, the tranny shifts perfect, etc...

The car has had the D1SC for about 8 months from what I was told, still under transferable warranty, tuned by Revextreme in Tampa, and then again by Joe somebody from New York who tunes cars for a living...can't recall the last name. Our plan was if he decides to buy it, we are going to get a time setup for a local shop in Tampa to look over the car, run a compression test, and do a dyno pull so we can see the power, afr's, etc...

If we decide to go this route, is there anyone in the Tampa area that would be willing to help us look the car over on the lift? I have been an RX7 person for years and years, never had a Z06, and don't want to make a bad decision on a car. He said his lowest price is $31k for the car....so it's higher then I was hoping to see this car sell for, due mostly to the mileage....but I just need some insight from you guys. I am glad to hear that this was not the car that was in an accident, I was kind of shocked to read that it has never had one, then have someone say it has.

Thanks again for the continued help.

-Scott
Old 04-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

I would PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS on a 60k mile supercharged z06 not done by a major shop. Lingenfelter does maggies, not ATI setups.

Pass with the quickness.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

It was a Lingenfelter all motor car, he bought it and had RevExtreme in Tampa Florida do the procharger setup on it. Just to clear that up.

Again, definately not sold on the car....and not desperate to buy one....it simply caught the eye.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Teching In

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also interested in this one, just not sure how high the price will go to on this one.

I have checked this forum, z06vette, corvettetrader, corvettetraderonline, ebay, etc...trying to find a good deal on the right Z06.

The main thing is that it can not be red. All other colors he can live with, but red is just not his cup of tea. So if anyone knows of any decent Z06 deals, please feel free to let us know. Price is dependant on mods, mileage, condition, etc...but not looking for anything too expensive...trying to stay below $30-33k for the most part.