Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help installing VaraRam Snake Charmer on C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing VaraRam Snake Charmer on C6

I bought a Snake Charmer, the VaraRam cold intake system for my C6 and I am having some problems figuring out how to install the darn thing.

I can't get anyone from the corporate office to call me back and my car is in pieces. I need to attend a Corvette mtg. tonight and can't figure out their lame instructions. They sent along a cut-out made from two peices of paper scotched taped together. And, while it is obvious where to cut the panel, it is not explained in the instructions on how to get it out or to align the cheap templet they sent along.

The instructions are clearly the worst instructions I have ever seen with any product. And, I have done several Fbodies in the past few years, and several performance parts on my C6. It leaves a lot to be desired!

If anyone has done this or knows of a write-up by a member, please help me! That has been the greatest benefit of this site, there is always someone who has done it, and written there own instructions, along with PICs, that help other members. Thanks to all who do that!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Has ANYONE done this on a 2005 C6?

I spoke with someone from the factory and they were not much help on where to align the templet. I did it as he suggested and it just does not seem to fit very well. It looks as if the bottom cut should go throught the two tabs that stick up about 1"+. Otherwise the MAF is raised higher then normal and I can't seem to get the bracket close enough to attach both screws.

It seems to me that you must cut below where they say the bottom line cut is to be made. I can't even get it to align with the MAF doing it as I was instructed.

HELP SOMEONE!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

check this out, it helped me with mine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...araram+install

if I had it to do over again I'd get the precut shroud. as you know by now, the instructions and the paper you have to cut and tape together is for ****.

hope this helps you out...........
Old 05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Default Help came from the factory....finally

I must take back my comments (and tone) on the new C6 VaraRam snake charmer intake system. I did get a call back on Monday morning. I explained my concerns with fit & finish. Before I could even finish, he said he would send me a new intake. Apparently they had a batch come in that was sub par on quality. I mentioned the crimping when I tightened the hose clamps. He said the new ones are thicker and they won't do that.

I also explained that I was not happy how the filter fits in the base and the top piece does not overlap the filter and bottom piece like a true "male/female" design should fit. He said they had addressed that too. I hope he is right.

Finally, they are sending a longer bellow piece. He said they were not long enough and some customers were having problems.

I must admit, I was ready to send it back. They were willing to let me do that too! But, with all this attention and his readiness to help me, I am more then willing to wait for the new parts and try to make it work. Honestly, I can't remember another company going to bat like he did in the last 12 years! I have had some horror stories with auto parts companies too! But he was willing to do whatever it takes. For that I am very grateful. The least I can do is wait a week for the parts and try to make it work.

If it doesn't show up as advertised, I will switch to the Callaway Honker or the new one I just saw that is carbon fiber for $499 or $399 regular finish, I forget the name.

I AM STILL very concerned about the fit around the filter. Honestly, I can't imagine driving at 100 mph and air NOT getting through a design that does not provide for a tight overlap AROUND the filter! The design SHOULD provide for at least a 1/2" overlap using a true male/female design, and the mating pieces MUST be heavy duty material that won't bow under the forces of several atmospheres!

The test for the seal is simple: take a piece of note book style paper, lay a 3" by 6" strip across the side of the filter sealed in with the two intake pieces. If it pulls out really easily when the filter is in place, in the Corvette, then the seal is not tight enough! Just imagine the forces when driving at 70 mph, or even 100+mph, it would blow the soft plastic out and bulge like a balloon at high speeds. I am tempted to set up my Mini-DV camera and take it for a high speed test drive. I don't want dirty air getting in my LS2. It will fry a motor in 10K to 25K miles if the filter does not do its job.

So stay tuned, I will let you know how it goes in another week. I SURE HOPE the parts arrive in time for my trip on the Hot Rod Power Tour!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

All I Know Is Good Luck..... Pain In The *** On Mine.....

Quick Reply: Help installing VaraRam Snake Charmer on C6