Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

'03 Z...anyone else's brakes squeek?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Z...anyone else's brakes squeek?

Bought an '03 Z06:sadangel: about 3.5 wks ago and the car is amazing. My only issue is that the brakes seem to squeek. Sounds like metal on metal, but the brake pads are fine. It was a certified used GM with 12,524 miles on the clock and in great shape. I noticed it while preparing to buy, and the service manager at the dealership mentioned that this is normal for Z06's???? I find it hard to believe that this would be normal...especially for what guys pay for these cars. I don't know if people would tolerate "that squeeking sound is normal". I'm just checking to see what you all think. I went to another dealer....this one is a good one and mod friendly one and they mentioned that it was not uncommon for Z06 brakes to squeek. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to happen more when creeping at like 10-15 mph between lights. Doesn't do it when coming down from a 90-100mph blast. Please let me know what your experience with this is. It is my only issue with the Z.....it is a GREAT ride. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

My Z06 did it. It's high-speed vibration of the pads. Nothing out of the ordinary. If someone put something other than OEM, it may be worse. Haven't had any problems with the C6 yet, but it only has 260 miles on it.

Parts may need to be cleaned. My Trans Am did it too until I put some stop-squeak material on the pads. The material dampens the vibration.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

It's the stock pads they suck. They dust alot too. It's a aggressive pad for a stock car. When you change pads the noise will go away.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

Try using HAWK pads. Now those babies squeak, I would know, that is what I am using.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I don't get any vibration or shuttering like my rotors in my Camaro SS did. They do dust up and now I know that it is a more aggressive brake pad for the Z. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by MICAH HERRON
Try using HAWK pads. Now those babies squeak, I would know, that is what I am using.
yep, Hawk HP Plus, tons of dust and sqeaking, neighbors think my brakes are done, these pads grip like nothing else