Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Those who have installed the DTE driveline brace come inside! Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Those who have installed the DTE driveline brace come inside! Questions!

I think I am going to order one of these braces, and plan to install it myself.. Are these a pain in the *** to install? I have NEVER worked on a vette before, nor have I ever really done anything mechanical to a car other than the basics, exhaust, belts just very basic stuff.. This brace doesnt look to be too hard. It does say to loosen the under carriage to get better access to some bolts.. This kind of scares me. I have access to a lift, but not to many tools. If someone could have a brief explanation as to how their install went, that would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

I have one but I didnt install it. Had it done while adding the new rear-end. Installer said it wasnt to bad.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine with everything in place, I think the only thing I removed was the cat-back, I have alot of mechanical experience though, and took me a few hours (night before a race), if you have a lift it will be alot easier but still kinda trickey, you need to know how everything works, and to follow the specs on adjustment properly when setting up the tension.. if your planning on pulling the driveline for a clutch or something it will make life ALOT easier to do the install then, try and get somebody who has done it before to help, its a bitch of a job for sure, but on this one the juice IS worth the squeze!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

piece of cake when the driveline is down. a pain in the *** with the driveline in place.i did it when i had the car apart and it wasnt bad, but some bolts are almost impossible to get at when its together.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdd
piece of cake when the driveline is down. a pain in the *** with the driveline in place.i did it when i had the car apart and it wasnt bad, but some bolts are almost impossible to get at when its together.
Damn! I guess i'll probably just wait till this winter when the engine comes out as well.... I would like the added support the brace would offer. I really dont want to break anything!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

you loosen the rear xmember nuts to lower the trans a bit
Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I installed mine with my hardened shafts . It was a pain in the *** with the rear frame out of the car and with the rear lowered very much. I would not attempt it unless you know what your getting into.

Quick Reply: Those who have installed the DTE driveline brace come inside! Questions!