Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

my 3" exhaust fab question

Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 3" exhaust fab question

Right now I have a custom full 3" mandrel bent exhaust with a Dr. Gas X-Pipe and Borla XR1 mufflers. It's so LOUD that I'm buying some Z06 mufflers; I had them on my H/C setup originally so I like the sound.
How do I switch to the Z06 mufflers?

My over-axle pipes are 3" mandrel bend, and I'm thinking it is best to keep as much 3" pipe as possible. Right now after the pipes come over the axle there are flat band clamps attaching the muffler pipe assembly. I was thinking about keeping some of the 3" pipe that comes over the axle: When the pipe begins to come down over the rear to have a 3" to 2.5" reducer welded in place. Then the z06 exhaust pipes can be cut and the two ends can be held in place by a band clamp.

Would this work okay? Can you join two different types of metal like this with band clamps and not have exhaust leaks (expansion/contraction differences)?

Anyone have a better idea that is cost efficient? Will my idea work?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your gonna have leaking issues....

also..the exhaust is titanium....you have to be in a sealed off room to weld that correctly...

you can always cut your 3 inch pipes...and put a small reducer, then a flange factorys tyle,..so it'll bolt to the stock Z06 exhaust.

.2cents.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I think your gonna have leaking issues....

also..the exhaust is titanium....you have to be in a sealed off room to weld that correctly...

you can always cut your 3 inch pipes...and put a small reducer, then a flange factorys tyle,..so it'll bolt to the stock Z06 exhaust.

.2cents.
Ditto. Get your exhaust cut and have some reducers and flanges made to mate up to the stock catback. No reason to cut the Titanium exhaust and ruin it and Tony Mamo of AFR has tested the Ti exhaust to only nomially lose HP unless its a crazy HP application.

Yours is really that loud? I had Lane up in Dallas fab me a 3" system off of my headers with a Magnaflow X, Twister Mufflers and some rear pipes that went over the rear and aim towards the ground where the stock mufflers used to be and I LOVED it. If anything, it was too quiet for me.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Termin8r27
Ditto. Get your exhaust cut and have some reducers and flanges made to mate up to the stock catback. No reason to cut the Titanium exhaust and ruin it and Tony Mamo of AFR has tested the Ti exhaust to only nomially lose HP unless its a crazy HP application.

Yours is really that loud? I had Lane up in Dallas fab me a 3" system off of my headers with a Magnaflow X, Twister Mufflers and some rear pipes that went over the rear and aim towards the ground where the stock mufflers used to be and I LOVED it. If anything, it was too quiet for me.
Ya it's pretty loud. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it on the outside but trying to drive around with it is mind numbing. I've actually found myself driving the car less and less since I put the 3" exhaust on it. I'll get some sound clips of it before I take it off.

By having the Z06 mufflers back on there, I can sell the 3" mufflers and over axle pipes and probably end up making some $$$ in the process!

Thnx for the help
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FroDaddy
Ya it's pretty loud. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it on the outside but trying to drive around with it is mind numbing. I've actually found myself driving the car less and less since I put the 3" exhaust on it. I'll get some sound clips of it before I take it off.

By having the Z06 mufflers back on there, I can sell the 3" mufflers and over axle pipes and probably end up making some $$$ in the process!

Thnx for the help
Absolutely welcome!

Well I hear you and you can always do what I am a fan of down the road if needed...put some cutouts on it for the times when you want maximum power and sound.

Search this Thread