Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Just got my Vette, need help on major mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Vette, need help on major mods

I had a GTO which i owed waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than it was worth. my life changed and i dont need the back seat anymore (bought a escalade). I decided i wanted a vette. my only option was a extreme high mileage vette that would allow me to carry over the 6K from the GTO.

I bought a 2002 Black Corvette, A4, and im pretty damn sure its got 3.42's or 3.15's cause it will completly fry the tires from a dead stop and its revs are about 1400 and 50mph in overdrive

it has 180,000 miles, but runs strong, no oil blow by, runs better than some of the 30 and 40 thousand mile cars i test drove. great oil pressure

I have the following already:

Stage 3 LS6 heads
Fast 90mm inake and 90mm TB
Magicstick 4 cam

I plan on doing:

402/408 shortblock
new tranny or rebuilt
new rear diff.
stall convertor

my question is, where can i get a good A4??, will the stock diff. hold up for awhile under that power?? if not what stage should i go for the diff?? i was thinking about the DTE stage 2 diff.

any other suggestions/concerns feel free to let me know, im used to f-bodys and new to corvettes so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

I bought a 2002 Black Corvette, A4, and im pretty damn sure its got 3.42's or 3.15's cause it will completly fry the tires from a dead stop and its revs are about 1400 and 50mph in overdrive
just a quick heads up. to determine your diff ratio, leave the gear shift selector in D(3?, not overdrive) and see what your RPM's are at 70mph.
example: 2700=2.73's, 3100=3.15's, 3400=3.42's, etc.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matt420c
I had a GTO which i owed waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more than it was worth. my life changed and i dont need the back seat anymore (bought a escalade). I decided i wanted a vette. my only option was a extreme high mileage vette that would allow me to carry over the 6K from the GTO.

it has 180,000 miles, but runs strong, no oil blow by, runs better than some of the 30 and 40 thousand mile cars i test drove. great oil pressure

I have the following already:

Stage 3 LS6 heads
Fast 90mm inake and 90mm TB
Magicstick 4 cam

I plan on doing:

402/408 shortblock
new tranny or rebuilt
new rear diff.
stall convertor

my question is, where can i get a good A4??, will the stock diff. hold up for awhile under that power?? if not what stage should i go for the diff?? i was thinking about the DTE stage 2 diff.

any other suggestions/concerns feel free to let me know, im used to f-bodys and new to corvettes so any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the auto...I belive there is alot of comapnies out there....someone i'm sure will recommend someone.

...as for the DTE II rearend...they are good....but, IF you can, swing for the stage III. I've seen my cousin snap several modified rearends...and is now on the stage III. Granetd...he's makeing crazy power but...you get the idea.

I'd also get the DTE strut brace. Great mod...inexpensive.

J
Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Restricted User

We can set you up with one of the best trans builders in the U.S. We use them for almost every 4l60e/4l65e. PM me if you're interested...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the DTE stg III with the Brace. Very good combo. You can get your tranny rebuilt with all the goodies. Your car will be bullet proof. How's the suspension with all those miles? Good luck. Let us know. BTW that rear end can take some abuse, hardened output shafts on both sides, micro polishing, cryo treated gears, etc, etc, etc. Shop around before you buy one. I saw a range in price of about 2899 to 4199. Some shops. Call Bobby at LG Motorsports and I am sure he can hook you up if you tell him Doug sent ya.