Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

how strong is the c5 rear end? i dont want to know do i...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how strong is the c5 rear end? i dont want to know do i...

alright i just purchased a 98 m6 vette with the adjustable ride control...i heard from some guys that the rear end holds up fairly well considering they are running high 11's. but i hear alot of different stories about them? some say they are very weak and so on...now my mission here is break into the 11's with bolt-ons, a nice cam (streetable) and possibly LS6 heads...no nitrous/supercharger or any crank, piston, rod work at all. but now im worried about the rear end...let me hear you stories, RWHP and track times if you have them. now what could i maybe do to make the rear end hold up longer. like i said 11's, oh yeah i drive it to work every day! PLEASE RESPOND thanks guys
Old 07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Teching In

my tuner told me the rear is good for 11's . auto's are easier on the rear than a stick

also depends on how OFTEN you force it to do 11's at the track.

if you run it once or twice and get your time then keep it on the street it will last a lonnnngg time.

if you take it to the track 70 times ayear, not nearly as long
Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i figured it will last. its not going to be 'drag' only car. it will see the track once or twice a year; twice if im lucky. like i said i want to hit 11's and be driven to work...i need to put an end to pesky 03 cobras around here as well a civic hatches that have big turbos!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on racing it... Add the DTE rearend brace $380 and add at least the hardened left side output shaft $200. Left breaks way more often. You can add the right too, for another $300.

That will make it about as strong as you can get it..

Buddy of mine destroyed his differential with 385rwhp. It also snapped the rear mainshaft of the transmission. Didn't break the trans, just the shaft. It destroyed the differential case though. Came apart in big chunks..

What happens, is wheel hop flexes the diff and trans and snaps the mainshaft of the trans off in the diff case. It breaks and also that can cause the case to crack.

The diff output shafts break when you actually hook hard. They snap off.

Steve
Old 07-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Launching!

go big just get the built one that some of the vendors offer
Old 07-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Staging Lane

sounds good! now i just have to decide on what cam i want...and cant forget about some heads. i guess you cant go wrong can ya
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen bone stock diff's blow apart on street tires....and i've seen built ones do the same. Get DTE upgrades, even though I have seen these fail with high output engines. Get the strut brace, as I like the idea,...and have it myself.

If you on a budget....
get a DTE out put shaft.
and DTE brace.

If you have the coin, buy the stage III diff and brace.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

I blew my rear diff into a million pieces. definatly the weak link
Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine's all stock and fine on 315DRs into the 10s. Just watch wheel hop from hard compound tires.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Really depends on the driver. If your just on the street and not doing 6k clutch dumps with slicks at the track you should be ok with a dte brace and hardened output shaft.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely a driver issue. There is no power level to watch for blowing the rear. Be smart, stick wiht street tires, and for God sakes, lay off the throttle when you don't have traction.

You can have the strongest DTE rear setup and still break it. It doesn't protect against driver stupidity. Don't dump the clutch, rather keep slipping the clutch.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a mcleod twin disc, dte brace, and hardened output shaft, I can do 5k wot clutch dumps w/DR's at the strip, I like it alot, though now I'm burning my diff./posi clutches from auto-x, sticky tires + lots o power = **** breaking....

if you've got juuuuuust enough power to go 11's something might break, if you have a stupid amount of power and can sacrafice a good 60' and wait till 2nd gear before really getting on it, then things will hold up better...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

since ive got my mt's ive been leaving around 3.5k-4k with a little slip of the clutch. the rear end has been pretty strong so far. wheelhop is kryptonite for the vette so youve gotta be out of the gas super quick.

Quick Reply: how strong is the c5 rear end? i dont want to know do i...