Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

help me decide C5 Zo6 or C6 Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help me decide C5 Zo6 or C6 Z51?

Tossed between the two? Any insight?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

I say C5 Z06 all the way. Obviously you can't go wrond either way but I think the C5 Z06 is one of the best looking cars ever. Not to mention it would be cheaper than a C6.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Depends on what you want to do. If you want the nastier race car...C5Z. If you want a more refined street car...C6. The C5Z is quicker and handles better (by just a touch). If you are going to mod...differences go away on quickness, but the Z still handles better with stock suspension. If you're not a road racer...you won't find the limits on either, but the Z has been given the nod by all transition owners and the experts (so called by the Mags).

Be careful on the 2005 C6 modding...the rears have a different casting from C5s and 06 C6s and tend to break cases. You will want to factor in a built rear for the car if you will abuse it on the track. You can find a used C6 Z51 now for what an '03 or '04 Z will cost you...(within $5K at least). Other items to consider are removable top on C6 and hatch/trunk space. The C6 is definitely a smoother car, but the Z is a little more of a beast.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Very interesting. I know I'll end up putting mods into whatever I decide. With that said which holds the most potenial? I'm very familar with the LS6, but how does it stack against the LS2?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

I'd say it all depends on what you want to do. I'm pretty sure the C5Z is lighter but other than that the C6 Z51 is a pretty nice ride. If there wern't so preicy I'd love to get one. I still like the looks of my C5Z better though. I'm not crazy about the hatch back on the C5 coupe or C6. I love the FRC look. I do like the way the front of C6 looks though. Also consider price. If it's not an issue then you have a tough disicion to make lol. The C6 does have a few more cubes. Both car will respond well to mods.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02WSsicks
Very interesting. I know I'll end up putting mods into whatever I decide. With that said which holds the most potenial? I'm very familar with the LS6, but how does it stack against the LS2?
The LS2 has 17 more cubic inches or so, so the potential is always greater with a bigger base. However, unless you are just trying to squeeze out every single hp/ft.lb., either can be monsters. There is still a bit of an LS2 penalty on pricing for certain items too, so consider that if money is an issue. Headers are more expensive, etc. Also, it appears the C5s are prooving to have stronger rears, which can get expensive fast.

Don't think you go wrong either way, but if it's a street ride...the C6 is definitely the more comfortable/refined car for me...and I've owned both, but everybody is different, so good luck with your choice.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Having owned both, I'd say that largely depends on your goals. The Z06 was a fun car to drive, but the C6 is a lot tighter on fit and finish, a lot quieter (I can actually hear people on the phone at triple digit speeds now ), and much more luxurious if you throw in all the bells and whistles (Onstar, navigation, satellite radio, memory, HUD, etc.). If you're after an all out race car, stay with the Z06. If you want the best of both worlds (performance and luxury), go with the C6. Top-off cruising was something I really missed when I switched from the Trans Am to the Z06 (not to mention the fact that with my height I could never wear a helmet in the Z06 without a custom seat). The only thing I'd probably do differently with the C6 if I could do it over again would be the M6 vs. the A6. I love the A6 for casual cruising, but it's just not the same when I want to get frisky. I have yet to test the A6 on a road course and I may change my mind when I do, but for now I miss the M6.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CySevans
Having owned both, I'd say that largely depends on your goals. The Z06 was a fun car to drive, but the C6 is a lot tighter on fit and finish, a lot quieter (I can actually hear people on the phone at triple digit speeds now ), and much more luxurious if you throw in all the bells and whistles (Onstar, navigation, satellite radio, memory, HUD, etc.). If you're after an all out race car, stay with the Z06. If you want the best of both worlds (performance and luxury), go with the C6. Top-off cruising was something I really missed when I switched from the Trans Am to the Z06 (not to mention the fact that with my height I could never wear a helmet in the Z06 without a custom seat). The only thing I'd probably do differently with the C6 if I could do it over again would be the M6 vs. the A6. I love the A6 for casual cruising, but it's just not the same when I want to get frisky. I have yet to test the A6 on a road course and I may change my mind when I do, but for now I miss the M6.
You can see from people who have owned both...this is the general consensus. FYI, a guy over on Corvette Forum went to a track day sponsored by Chevy and drove both the A6 and M6 (the only driver to beat his times was the instructor, so he must be decent), and he was only 2 seconds slower in the A6 versus the M6 (after he got the hang of the paddles). My height prohibits the effective use of the M6 (clutch) with stock seats without great damage to my shins, so I went automatic in my C6 too.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I love my c6 z51, but I sure wouldn't mind the Z06 either. Both are great cars. I have driven both. You may want to pose this question and do a search over in the corvette forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the great replies. It just isn't getting any easier to choose.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it would basically come down to looks and price. If you like the new look better and ok with paying for it, go for the C6.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both have their advantages and disadvantages... I'd also have a hard time choosing but would spring for ther c6 if money wasnt an issue.

LS2 has more potential as far as a H/C or bolt on setups. Both engines come with the same heads but the LS2 has the 6.0L bottom end with flat top pistons bringing the SCR to 10.9:1 as compared to 10.5:1 with the LS6 5.7L.

The c5 zo6 has the stronger rear, is lighter, handles better.

The c6 is a newer, more refined, more comfortable car.

Looks are preference of course...I like both cars equal as I like the front and rear of the c6 better but the wheels, rear brake vents and FRC top of the zo6.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The C5 Z06 is much more racy. Test drive them both.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

get the z06 and with the money you save add FI.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Ilove my ZO6, I was in the same boat as you and I love my car!! It was cheaper than the C6 and it had alot of mods already on it!! I dont regret getting it at all. Sure the C6 is quieter, but who wants a quieter car when you have all that power under the hood. I just got my new headers in for my car and OMG!! I freakin love it!! It roars like a beast at WOT!! IMO get the ZO6. Let me know your final decision when you make it....

Quick Reply: help me decide C5 Zo6 or C6 Z51?