Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Cam or no Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam or no Cam?

So i'm sitting here thinking... IF, with longtubes, x pipe, cai and a tune, i am at 400rwhp. And if i were to change cams, i'd only have 415-430rwhp, why would i want to change? What's the most gotten out of a stock LS6, cam only? I'd rather leave it stock and either spray it, or supercharge it. Am I wrong? Don't get me wrong, i love the nice choppy sound of a big cam, but it doesn't look like i'd gain that much from the factory Z06 cam.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Forced induction is a great way to go but to get the most out of any combination a cam change would be needed. If your satisfied with your ride enjoy it, 400 rwhp is serious power and with a 150 shot of nitrous it becomes a monster. Good Luck with yourhot rod.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GOOSE JR.
Forced induction is a great way to go but to get the most out of any combination a cam change would be needed. If your satisfied with your ride enjoy it, 400 rwhp is serious power and with a 150 shot of nitrous it becomes a monster. Good Luck with yourhot rod.
thanks! thats pretty much what i was thinking. how often do you need more hp than that in a daily driver? and when you do... flip some switches lol.

yes i agree forced induction would be awesome and better... but its not as cheap as a shot of nitrous.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

id do a cam, my car is cam only and i love it for right now. you will most likely see more than 430rwhp w/a cam but you need to go kinda big. thats just what id do.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze98
id do a cam, my car is cam only and i love it for right now. you will most likely see more than 430rwhp w/a cam but you need to go kinda big. thats just what id do.
Whats the most cam only, stock shortblock, stock heads, with an LS6 intake has made?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Leave the stock Cam in place...(more like 390 rwhp w/tune)

IN hindsight? I'd have not done anything but a supercharger.....(not even headers)

If I could go back in time? I'd do a supercharger and install dual valvesprings at the same time...

Other than that?'I'd have left the car stock...

If I wanted more? i'd do the Vette doctors long tube headers at the same time...

Other than that? I'd leave the car alone...

Hope my opinion doesn't insult anyone cause it doesn't mean I don't like what I have....Just means I'd go a different route next time...
Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
Leave the stock Cam in place...(more like 390 rwhp w/tune)

IN hindsight? I'd have not done anything but a supercharger.....(not even headers)

If I could go back in time? I'd do a supercharger and install dual valvesprings at the same time...

Other than that?'I'd have left the car stock...

If I wanted more? i'd do the Vette doctors long tube headers at the same time...

Other than that? I'd leave the car alone...

Hope my opinion doesn't insult anyone cause it doesn't mean I don't like what I have....Just means I'd go a different route next time...

Thats pretty much what I was thinking, except... i have headers now

and... honestly... I think i have 390rwhp now, i raced my buddy that made 385rwhp on the dyno, he jumped me a car from a 50 punch, and by top of 4th, i was a car ahead of him.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

in all honesty how much power do you want. if you want a different acting car get a cam. or buy a blower for 5grand plus. im planning on making close to 500rwhp on 347 cubic inches w/worked ls6 heads. dont know if this is really gonna work but when i get there ill let you know. in all honesty the cam was the best thing i ever did to this car. i was at teh track not to long ago and went 12.98@111 in shitty weather, there was a blower car w/full exhaust running 13.5's to 13.3's all night. but like i said its all in what you want and for the money the cam is the best and safest way to make more power. and you will deff. notice a difference.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 AM
11 Second Club

In my 01 I went from 372 rwhp to 423 rwhp changing to a Futral F14 cam.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Put the cam in.
It will change the ENTIRE attitude of the car.
More like 25-35hp gains on the low end
Have you driven in a cammed Z06 or any Corvette?
That may be a good idea if you have not.
Go for a cam and springs!
$500 parts maybe
Old 08-11-2006, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

I am right there with you I`m on the fence of a cam. I already have a little P1 with headers and I am pushing 460 on 7psi. I think if I do a cam I am gonna do heads also to keep the boost lower to save my bottom end. The thing thats killing me is with that much power I am now adding a fuel pump, new injectors, looks like I am gonna need a clutch to hold more power. I am beyond the limits of the stock clutch now. To rack up more dollars the rear end is gonna probably need harder gears. I am also ordering the strut brace to try and save my current driveline. All this **** adds up quick. I am gonna stay on the fence till after tax time. These other mods could run me over 6K thats insame. Its like a damm drug.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikep2002
I am right there with you I`m on the fence of a cam. I already have a little P1 with headers and I am pushing 460 on 7psi. I think if I do a cam I am gonna do heads also to keep the boost lower to save my bottom end. The thing thats killing me is with that much power I am now adding a fuel pump, new injectors, looks like I am gonna need a clutch to hold more power. I am beyond the limits of the stock clutch now. To rack up more dollars the rear end is gonna probably need harder gears. I am also ordering the strut brace to try and save my current driveline. All this **** adds up quick. I am gonna stay on the fence till after tax time. These other mods could run me over 6K thats insame. Its like a damm drug.

Modaholism:
The inability to refrain from buying more Mods!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Cam it, you may make 440 r.w.h.p. with an aggressive cam!!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

TREX it, and make some power