Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Clutch issues

Just installed the TRak cam in car and now I am having some issues with my clutch. It is sticking to floor any time I run through the gears. I have clean fluid in the resivoir and cleaned it and did the mityvac from the top several times to make sure this wasn't the problem. I am pretty sure it it the pressure plate of the clutch. My clutch has gotten softer over the past 2 weeks and it used to only come back about half way when the problem started now the clutch pedal is at the floor. Once pulled back up it drive normal as could be. Spoke to dealer and he says that there are pressure plate problems under warranty. He has offered to swap clutch to a new LS2 clutch, but I did buy an LS7 clutch as well and he offered to put that in for me Labor free. He says he also would put in the LS2 and if that has problems he will pull it apart again and do the LS7 clutch. SHould I go this way or just do the LS7 clutch 1st. I don't see too many people having problems with their LS2 clutch, but know that Ls7 was made for the power I have and sooner or later will end up in my car. I am just thinking that if they put the LS2 in and it last for a while then I have saved since I can hold onto the LS7 for longer until putting it in. Also Is the hydrolics on the LS2 the same as the LS6 or an upgrade from?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The hydraulics aren't the same as an LS6, the line between the master and slave is a hard line on the C6, and is joined near the firewall under the brake booster.

I'd suggest putting the LS7 clutch in, that way you won't have to mess with it again. Surprisingly, my stock 7K mile LS2 clutch never slipped with the 550 rwhp magnacharger, but I replaced it with a Textralia clutch while I had the drivetrain apart. It was probably just a matter of time before it slipped, so I just opted to change it out at the time.

I heard there was a flywheel recall on some '06 Vettes, maybe that is why your dealer would do this for free?