Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS7 Z06 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 AM
JUICED96Z

Default LS7 Z06 stuff

Does anyone know if anyone is doing a mail order tune for the LS7's? A friend of mine just picked up a new Z06 and there is not really a local dyno around here that works with domestics. He does not want to tear the car up and I told him I would go with a set of radials, long tubes and exhaust, tune and CAI at most. It would run 10's and still be very reliable.
At the very least he could pull the cats and get it tuned and have a set of radials. He does not want to cam it or anything.
Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd put a TNT 100 squeeze on it and some drag radials and be done with it.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 AM
King of the radial tires

The blockages to 10s in a stock C6 Z06 are
(1) Torque Management that pulls power on launch and shifts
(2) Finicky clutch that glazes at launch rpm exceeding 3800 and at any rpm if slip is applied
(3) Driver technique. Because of (1) and (2), traditional launch approaches don't produce the 60' or 330' you would expect.

Gotta deal with the above or else more power via mods won't get you there.

Ranger
Old 08-12-2006, 12:52 PM
JUICED96Z

I know some of the cam/bottle cars have blown the rears (Diff's) on sticky tires. Would a stock cam no power adder car have a problem with that, just bolt ons and a tune?
He has other built cars that he races, this is just a fun cruiser with some power

He is anti bottle with a stick, Im not but he is.

Tune would take out the torque management.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 PM
King of the radial tires

Jury is out on the axle shaft/CV joint issue. 90 incidents and four different GM part numbers used in the repair. So they are still looking for a solution. Mine is a February built car. No issue with the axles in 33 passes. Seems that wheel hop is what breaks them.

Some guys are retrofitting C5Z axle shafts which have a different CV joint design than the stock C6Z. By Fall they should have enough passes to confirm whether the change is a true fix.

Clutch is still an issue for everyone and the driver must work around it.

Without TM, I could get into the 10s now. May do it yet with TM still there. Will know by Fall.

Ranger
Old 08-12-2006, 01:25 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Ranger
Jury is out on the axle shaft/CV joint issue. 90 incidents and four different GM part numbers used in the repair. So they are still looking for a solution. Mine is a February built car. No issue with the axles in 33 passes. Seems that wheel hop is what breaks them.

Some guys are retrofitting C5Z axle shafts which have a different CV joint design than the stock C6Z. By Fall they should have enough passes to confirm whether the change is a true fix.

Clutch is still an issue for everyone and the driver must work around it.

Without TM, I could get into the 10s now. May do it yet with TM still there. Will know by Fall.

Ranger
Same issue with the rear on the 07 Cars? Thats what he got.

So maybe a tune with DR's and keep it at that would be a good idea. It would not get a lot of track time but a little bit.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Same issue with the rear on the 07 Cars? Thats what he got.

So maybe a tune with DR's and keep it at that would be a good idea. It would not get a lot of track time but a little bit.
If your bud likes to blaze the trail, mod away. If not, he needs to avoid wheel hop, no matter what. If he kills TM and then breaks an axle, dealers in my area are sometimes denying coverage.

The 07s have the lastest axle shaft part number that began appearing in May. Its durability is not yet established because the unset of summer has kept folks away from the track.

Couple of Texas cars are pushing 500-520 rwhp with simple bolt-ons and aftermarket clutches. Once the weather cools off some there, they will constitute the bleeding edge on the durability front. They each have killed the stock clutch and one has wasted an aftermarket clutch too. So jury is out on what clutch will hold up on an LS7 under drag racing conditions.

Ranger
Old 08-12-2006, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

You could:
-Delete torque management
-Have fans come on sooner
-Remove CAGS if those cars have it
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyway to turn off torq mangement? HPtuners?

no one buys a 427 to have the torq "managed"

i guess its a good safety feature for inexperienced drivers that get ahold of the car
Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 AM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by InsomZ
Is there anyway to turn off torq mangement? HPtuners?

no one buys a 427 to have the torq "managed"

i guess its a good safety feature for inexperienced drivers that get ahold of the car
Torque Management is intended to protect the drive train on strong launches and shifts. It can be tuned out via ECM/PCM tuning software.

But doing so can cause warranty issues if the owner subsequently breaks parts in the drive train.

A local C6-M6 owner trashed two trannies and was denied warranty coverage on the 2d one by the GM district guy when it was discovered that the ECM/PCM had been modified.

Ranger
Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

probably best to leave it then.. seeing that its still possible to rip an 11.2 w/ the driver mod

Quick Reply: LS7 Z06 stuff