Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question what to do??

i have an 03 z06, black wing air filter, smooth bellows kit, ported t-body, B+M shifter, and a 125 shot dry.

im trying to think of somthing i can do to get a little more out of the car without comprimizing drivability. i dont want to do cam, heads ect, its a summer daily driver it goes 2 hours everyweekend to the weekend home, then back, so loud exhaust is out.

i was thinking, maybe a pully, maybe a fast 90 with NW t-body, headers with stock cat back, and posably an electric water pump.
anyone try one of these or all of these and see whats the best bang for the buck?

i know a nice cam and valve springs would work, but i dont want to touch the long block till i have to.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers, nice hi-flo w/ cats, stock exhaust sounds good. Add a tune and you're set until you decide to do get internal.

I probably wouldn't bother with the fast 90/tb until later on...being an '03 you already have a decent manifold. I would skip the electric water pump too.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Launching!

well, i wouldnt run the electric wp. its not worth the money. pulley and exhaust are always a good choice. fast intake really wouldnt benefit the amount of money either. til you go into the motor and have it port matched the ls6 will be fine. heads and cam really wont take away from your drivability. try mti's stealth cam and 2e heads and run high flow cats w/ either lg or ar headers and youll be fine. ive gone on over 500 plus mile trips on a similar setup , sat in traffic, and 90+ weather and no problems here.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by nc z28
well, i wouldnt run the electric wp. its not worth the money. pulley and exhaust are always a good choice. fast intake really wouldnt benefit the amount of money either. til you go into the motor and have it port matched the ls6 will be fine. heads and cam really wont take away from your drivability. try mti's stealth cam and 2e heads and run high flow cats w/ either lg or ar headers and youll be fine. ive gone on over 500 plus mile trips on a similar setup , sat in traffic, and 90+ weather and no problems here.
yhea, i know what cams work well, i just dont want to deal with it.
i already have one racecar, i want a quite,steath, 100% reliable street beater that takes little to no maitnance.

i just want to get in and drive it.
i have 3-4 heads and cam cars i have done, most are bigger HP cars, and they work real well, but its not somthing i want to drive all day everyday, like i said, i have my racecar, i want my old man street beater that kicks ***. lol

i also know doing a small cam isnt going to do a hell of alot, so if i do a cam it will be my own custom grind, i know it works

i think the pully, and headers will be a winter project
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

im ordering my ripper shifter tomorrow and then a 100shot next week then track friday
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
im ordering my ripper shifter tomorrow and then a 100shot next week then track friday
i like my ripper shifter, and real happy with my cold fussion from Nitrous direct

i got the pro dry, and with 100 shot the car went 128 mph with full street trim spinning like a mother. lol
i know spinning helps with mph, but either way, she was ripping!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Headers are an amazing mod and sound awesome with the stock exhaust. Super quiet at Idle and great growl wide open.

Nate
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Headers are an amazing mod and sound awesome with the stock exhaust. Super quiet at Idle and great growl wide open.

Nate
and expensive lol
Old 08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to keep it quiet and not do the exhaust then how about gears. Get some 3.90's or even 4.10's, you wont hear those at it will certainly make you quicker.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG header with off road X pipe to stock exhaust. it is very quiet while cruising and sounds great at WOT. no interior resonance.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Headers/Pulley +1; 1.85 Rockers will give you 20 rwhp or so, but you would need new springs, pushrods too (about as expensive as a cam swap if you do the work yourself), but it keeps you out of the internals. Gears are probably the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 AM
8 second mod

hhmm, gears are a good idea, while im there i should do a clutch.

i think i will do a pully this week for sure, any issue with charging ac ect?
whats the best pully for the vett?

i know whats the best stuff for f-body, but im just double checking on the vett, they are a little differant animals.

pully for sure, and possably the headers this winter if funds let it roll.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Be ready to take apart the whole rack and everything up front to get the pulley in. I just didnt think it was worth all the work involved.

I would recommend the kooks heads and x pipe. It will make much more power than now.

As someone said before-I would wait on the intake and waterpump.

I would recommend you strengthen the rearend with hardend output shafts and DTE brace. I just so happen to be converting to a solid axle so I have everything you need. If you want them PM me.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
Be ready to take apart the whole rack and everything up front to get the pulley in. I just didnt think it was worth all the work involved.

I would recommend the kooks heads and x pipe. It will make much more power than now.

As someone said before-I would wait on the intake and waterpump.

I would recommend you strengthen the rearend with hardend output shafts and DTE brace. I just so happen to be converting to a solid axle so I have everything you need. If you want them PM me.
oh ****, so its not like the f-body, 15 minits, and your done?

that sucks!!!!! there is no easy way?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

No there is no easy way to change the pulley. Sorry. I had to do a heads and cam swap in mine and it was a nightmare. I had to pull apart the whole front suspension on my car to get to the pulley and even then it was a pain in the ***.

By the way a long time ago I bought a Harlin 2 step from you. I just wanted to say it worked great and thanks.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you dont want to do the pulley by itself no sense really. Do the pulley when you/if you do a cam. I am telling you do gears and like GTFORMULA said hardened out put shafts DTE can give you everything you need for it. The rear end is one of the weak point on the car and you will want to adress it eventually if you plan on making power and getting traction.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

order headers with me and get a package deal
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

I posted in my thread about the new Z... If my car doesn't sell soon, we can swap my QTP's on to your car... I've got the X-pipe with the high flow cats to... and with the stock ti exhaust it still sounds real tame. You heard it last fall at NED before I put the borla catback on it.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Nautilus
I posted in my thread about the new Z... If my car doesn't sell soon, we can swap my QTP's on to your car... I've got the X-pipe with the high flow cats to... and with the stock ti exhaust it still sounds real tame. You heard it last fall at NED before I put the borla catback on it.
no offence to you, i hope it doesnt sell.

Quick Reply: what to do??