Default what to look for in buying a used vette

i might be getting rid of my TA and getting a '00-'03 vette hardtop 6 speed
what should i look for / stay away from in getting a used vette
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People like me.

lol.

Like any car, look for leaks, oil, trans diff,...even waterleaks if you can get the car under some running water.

When driving, check for ease of shifting use. Check iand see if it has the 1to 4th CAGS deleted. Thats a small sign that some one didn't like to drive slow. Check for any drivetrain slop...and vibrations when driving,....which you'd feel in the seat/floor/shifter...and steering wheel.

The stocker....the better. Unless you know where the car came from...who worked on it..how it was maintained. The more information, the better.

Again, like any car.

Don't rush into the first thing you find. Take your time....you'll find what you need.

Happy hunting
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we just bought 2 2001 z06's red one with 50k miles tand a white one with 64k miles. Just do some research on them on some of the corvette forums, they have a lot of useful information. I didn't and was a little upset but found out we got them both for a really good price so I can't complain.

Both have weak clutches. They drive fine if you drive them normal but under hard acceleration shifting into 3rd the red one clutch pedal will stay to the floor for a second the white one just slips a little.

Also, when I test drove the white one I didn't take it over 90, the Z06's have been known to have some active handling/tration control issues, my white has that. The abs/tc light only comes on over 90mph. Mine turned out to only be a wiring harness ($40) but several people have had to replace the EBCM (Electronic brake control module) not cheap($400-800). The 2001 and 2002 Z06 have aluminum shift forks that bend supposedly easy.

I have a hard time getting the white one to stay in reverse, something else I didn't check when I test drove.

I would check for roaring in the rear or any weird vibrations. Another commmon problem on the corvette are the hub bearings, cheap from AutoZone and same thing dealer uses and charges double to triple the price.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Make sure you check the clutch, I had to replace mine when I had my C5 (it can be expensive). If it has active handling, make sure it doesn't act up while driving down the highway at cruising speeds (a message will display on the dash that says active handling warming up or something to that nature, and then the car will be very hard to steer, or at least mine was).
Check to see if yours has a column lock bypass (so the steering column will not lock up and never unlock, not sure what year GM finally fixed that screw up), I installed mine, it uses a plug in like one for a radar detector on the cigarette lighter, it should be noticeable.
These cars have low ground clearance, so look underneath for any hard hits on the fiberglass rockers as well as any marks where a moron didn't know how to lift one up at a shop. The seats tend to wear VERY easily, check for bolster and/or foam breakdown. Can't think of any other issues right now, i'm sure i'm missing something small, but others can chime in a help you out.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

I would also find a good shop that you trust to take a look at it. The dealership or person should not care. Besides, the ride over will give you time to experience the car by yourself.

I took mine to a local shop here in Orlando that I heard great things about. After being turned away because of a high volume of other cars I asked them for their recommendation. They send me directly across the street and these guys are great! Their speciality is Corvettes of all years!

Even with their busy schedule and packed bay they took time to take a look at it and do a full diagnostic check. They told me of all the problems to look for and future problems the car will have. This gave me a good guage on future maintenance costs. They have been on the dot!

In short, a second set of eyes never hurts! Especially if they specialize in Vettes...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't buy anything American made w/o a warranty. Especially a Vette! (More expensive to repair)
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blck00Vette
I wouldn't buy anything American made w/o a warranty. Especially a Vette! (More expensive to repair)
Be careful saying that **** man, I've driven AMERICAN MADE GM's all my life. Every single one of them have seen well over 200000miles without a single issue other than alternator and typical wear items (brakes, wipers, battery, and tires). If you were simply trying to say that you wouldn't buy a car that the previous owner is suspect of ripping into all the time without a warranty, then that's cool; but that goes for ANY vehicle, not just american made. All it takes is good preventive maintenance!

RT

Quick Reply: what to look for in buying a used vette