Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Possible 03 z06 buy from a Stealership, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Possible 03 z06 buy from a Stealership, any tips?

I'm going this weekend to look at a few 02-04 Z06s and most of them are at dealerships. I've never bought a car from a dealership, nor have I traded a car in. I might be trading my WS6, any way to get the price up? I've taken most of the mods off my car since they don't add any value. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes are hard to bargain with at dealers. The first time I went to buy one and asked if the price was negotiable, they looked at me like I was crazy. The sales person told me that they don't discount corvettes because they sell themselves so there is no need for negotiating. At that time the z06 were selling for 4k over sticker price.

When I finally found one that I could afford, it was at a dealer and being that it was a used 03 z06, I managed to bump a couple of grand off the asking price. In short, if its new, no deal. If it's used, you can expect to lower the price, but it will not be by much. Also, do not say your going to trade your car in till the absolute bottom price is extablished on the vette. Somehow, when they know your trading a car in, they change the number so that you end up getting shafted. Thats what I did and ended up having $4,000 over on my trade in. Had I brought it up in the beginning, they would have probably stuck firm to the vette's price.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont settle for anything. Go in and get what you want they need your business more than you need their business. If you make a offer and they don't bite then walk out. Usually they will pull you in before you even open the door. These guys work off of commission so they will try and rape you so don't get caught with your pants down.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah and what he said don't tell them you want to trade in. And then follow the same walk out guidelines when establishing trade in value. Do not act remotely interested in even taking the car just act like you are thinking about it. If they see you are intent on getting it you damn sure will.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

DONT TRADE THAT CAR IN!!!! i know a ton of people who would kill for a SOM WS6, me included. If you want to get a zo6 sell that thing on here...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dixonk
Oh yeah and what he said don't tell them you want to trade in. And then follow the same walk out guidelines when establishing trade in value. Do not act remotely interested in even taking the car just act like you are thinking about it. If they see you are intent on getting it you damn sure will.
I totally agree, also you will def get more for your SOM if you sell it privatly.
Good luck on the sale and or purchase
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Try searching www.cars.com or www.autotrader.com !!!

Buying from a private owner should save you money.

Also selling to an individual vs. trade-in will likely result in getting a much better price for your trans-am.

Good luck and don't be in a hurry.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great advice. The best theme of buying a car is patience. The dealer wants to make you buy on emotion. Always remember that there are tons of used corvettes sitting in a garage that are going to be cheaper than a corvette on a dealership parking lot getting raped by the sun everyday.

Obviously, that's a very exaggerated way to think of it, but like they mentioned earlier: The less you seem interested in the car, the better your decision making and negotiating skills. Those dealers don't look at the car as a Corvette. Its simple a commodity to trade and make a profit off of.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

If you go to www.kbb.com and find trade in value, that's about all the dealer is going to give you on trade-in. The last two cars I traded that's what I was offered. Problem I have with individuals that I don't know is having them over to my house, taking the car for a ride and the possibility of them ******* it or damaging it. Got to be careful even taking a cashiers checks. Heard on the news where some cons are getting pretty good at making them. Best to meet at their bank and have the check made out directly from their bank.

You will lose money trading it in but will get some back from lower sales tax. You only pay sales tax (in Texas) on the difference. Where as if you buy the car outright you pay tax on the total amount.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

never buy without going home and thinking about it did that one time and realized how much i got screwed never again i always go home and think about it!! look below i buy alot of cars lol!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by echo3313
DONT TRADE THAT CAR IN!!!! i know a ton of people who would kill for a SOM WS6, me included. If you want to get a zo6 sell that thing on here...
The car is for sale on here, but the people that have money to buy are scarce.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bonestockz06
Corvettes are hard to bargain with at dealers. The first time I went to buy one and asked if the price was negotiable, they looked at me like I was crazy. The sales person told me that they don't discount corvettes because they sell themselves so there is no need for negotiating. At that time the z06 were selling for 4k over sticker price.

When I finally found one that I could afford, it was at a dealer and being that it was a used 03 z06, I managed to bump a couple of grand off the asking price. In short, if its new, no deal. If it's used, you can expect to lower the price, but it will not be by much. Also, do not say your going to trade your car in till the absolute bottom price is extablished on the vette. Somehow, when they know your trading a car in, they change the number so that you end up getting shafted. Thats what I did and ended up having $4,000 over on my trade in. Had I brought it up in the beginning, they would have probably stuck firm to the vette's price.

The car is used, and I have an amount in my head for the car. Plus I'm very picky about a car. I have been approved for the car, that much I know and I don't know if I'll end up selling the car to the person interested or IF I want to trade it in. The person who is interested in the car knows the salemen, so that should help out some.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Larry
If you go to www.kbb.com and find trade in value, that's about all the dealer is going to give you on trade-in. The last two cars I traded that's what I was offered. Problem I have with individuals that I don't know is having them over to my house, taking the car for a ride and the possibility of them ******* it or damaging it. Got to be careful even taking a cashiers checks. Heard on the news where some cons are getting pretty good at making them. Best to meet at their bank and have the check made out directly from their bank.

You will lose money trading it in but will get some back from lower sales tax. You only pay sales tax (in Texas) on the difference. Where as if you buy the car outright you pay tax on the total amount.
I've checked out KBB before and if they offer me what that site says I'll walk out.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tigertank
never buy without going home and thinking about it did that one time and realized how much i got screwed never again i always go home and think about it!! look below i buy alot of cars lol!!!
I've thought about it for a long time. I know what I want to spend, and I'm not afraid of walking out. After all, my cousin and I are stopping at a LOT of places checking Vettes out before we get to the 03 z06 I was talking about.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by _JB_
The car is for sale on here, but the people that have money to buy are scarce.
Yeah no ****.... I'm gonna say it. There's some broke f'kers in the sale section.

I sold my mint Firehawk to a dealer in Dallas for $18-flat! and he pays shipping. It sat in the ads here for two weeks and all I got were limp dicks emailing me.

You can't GIVE sh!+ away on this site! They want it, but nobody in the sale section can get financing. Kidz.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I've also heard that all Vettes have two sets of rims, any truth to that?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Polished and magnesium.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by _JB_
I've also heard that all Vettes have two sets of rims, any truth to that?
No!

Only the guys with deep pockets!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I must be having a day I thought he meant is there two wheel options available. HAHA.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dixonk
Man I must be having a day I thought he meant is there two wheel options available. HAHA.
hahaha, I did too!

Quick Reply: Possible 03 z06 buy from a Stealership, any tips?