Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

IF your were buying a Vette to just...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IF your were buying a Vette to just...

I'm kind of curious to hear what other peoples opinions are but I plan on picking up a Vette this fall/winter and I've done some thinking into the way I want to go. While it is a weekend only car I would still want some good reliability so I've dropped the idea of going the way of FI.

I love the ZO6 but I think in the end I'm going to want to toy with it and modify it anyway for more power.

the only other option if I do really want to mod for more power (and I would like a 10 second reliable Vette) is to go with a Stroker. I was thiking a 402 at about 550HP should be about right for me.

The thing is if you knew you were going to get a vette to just drop a new engine in it what would you look for? I had originally planned on getting a Z06 for the power/handling to start but if I'm going to replace the engine seems like I'd be better off with a regular coupe/verte (if I wanted one that is ) or the FRC and probably one with a decent amount of miles on it to get the most for my money. I guess I could look for a rolling Vette but I got to imagine those are hard to find.

I guess I'm curious to hear from some people who dropped 402's in did you put a new transmission in? (new clutch obvious) or can tthe stock vette tranny's hold up? Was there other thing syou had to do reliably?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

i bought a 02 z06 with 14k on it back in 05 and have done so much to it and now gonna put a 408 in it i wish i had jut bought a 97 c5 and saved some money. i know the tranny will hold under 550hp no prob. but the clutch definately will not especially in a stock c5.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bigcamdls6
i bought a 02 z06 with 14k on it back in 05 and have done so much to it and now gonna put a 408 in it i wish i had jut bought a 97 c5 and saved some money. i know the tranny will hold under 550hp no prob. but the clutch definately will not especially in a stock c5.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I know the handling is better in the Z06. But for the thousands I'd save I could upgrade the suspension along with the engine on a coupe.

I really think I'd love a 402 car and if I don't have the vette yet and plan to do it I'm wondering if I should not get a z06.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have a 98 C5 that I have had for 2 1/2 years. I bought it with 12k miles, went FI at 15k (Vortech blower, cam, LS6 intake, Exedy Twin, and make 550RWHP on a Mustang Dyno). The car now has 42k miles on it with no major problems (the clutch was replaced 5k miles ago with a Textralia Twin and the tires dont last quite as long as they should, if you know what I mean . I honestly think that FI is the way to go, as it is fast when you want it to be and I averaged almost 29MPG on my trip to Florida this spring. What I am saying is that reliability really isn't a problem with FI if it is done right.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BBM98C5
I have a 98 C5 that I have had for 2 1/2 years. I bought it with 12k miles, went FI at 15k (Vortech blower, cam, LS6 intake, Exedy Twin, and make 550RWHP on a Mustang Dyno). The car now has 42k miles on it with no major problems (the clutch was replaced 5k miles ago with a Textralia Twin and the tires dont last quite as long as they should, if you know what I mean . I honestly think that FI is the way to go, as it is fast when you want it to be and I averaged almost 29MPG on my trip to Florida this spring. What I am saying is that reliability really isn't a problem with FI if it is done right.
IT does put more wear and tear over time though it's not tough to show this. A NA engine will be under less stress.

I understand there have been people successful but there are others who haven't been lucky. Anyway you cut it FI is more strain on the engine and it's somethign I'd like to avoid. My step brother has a 5.0 supercharged and the engine has held up pretty well but theres still some issues he has had over the years because of forced induction nothign major but it would of been avoided going NA.

The power is always there with NA less wear, and really it's not to much more then doing a proper supercharged/turbocharged system.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

I bought an 02 Z and after the motor blew, I droped in a MTI 402. It's got a some what small car and it put down 486rwhp N/A and a little more on the juice Give MTI a call and they will take of you. I love the Z06 body style over the coupe but if I knew I was going to drop in a new motor, I would look for a 99-00 FRC. You will save a lot of money that way.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z O SICK
I bought an 02 Z and after the motor blew, I droped in a MTI 402. It's got a some what small car and it put down 486rwhp N/A and a little more on the juice Give MTI a call and they will take of you. I love the Z06 body style over the coupe but if I knew I was going to drop in a new motor, I would look for a 99-00 FRC. You will save a lot of money that way.
That's what I'm thinking and to be hoenst I wouldn't even mind a coupe for the targa top. I like the look of the ZO6 myself but for a pleasure weekend on sunny relatively warm days car having a removable top woudl be nice. Hell I'd even prefer the Vert but then I'd hardly save any money.

The one thing I'm worried about though is if I go with a higher mileage like 60-70k am I likely to find myself in trouble by adding so much power into the car. There's a huge differnece in price from the 20-30k and the 60-70k cars and since I'm planning on spending so much in mods off the bat I'm wondering if I could maybe save some money. I know the cars were designed to go to 250k. And if I can at least give myself a year or two before having to put some more money back into the car due to high mileage then I'd prefer to go with the 60-70k mileage car if only to save some money up front.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z O SICK
Oh btw what's the Vette like daily driving on twisty roads since your dropped the 402 in ?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I picked up an 04 with 18K on the clock about 6 months back. I have already spent a good chuck on mods, going forced induction. Now that i look back i should have bought an older C5 with high miles and used all the "extra" money on the mods and a forged block. If the body and interior is good, and you can get a good price jump on it.

In actuality i paid alot more than i should have for a low milage car that im going to repace the motor trans and rear end in anyway!

Thats life, live and learn. Hope you can learn from my mistake, and save yourself some cash along the way.

LionelC
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

bought my 2002 Z06 2 years ago. paid 27k for it and it had 67k miles on it. Engine blew (broken valve spring) and she now has a 408 stroker as well as a fully built drivetrain.

i think my situation worked out pretty dang well.. i now have a fully built/ 10 second car for about the price i would have paid for a low mileage immaculent bone stock Z.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06 prices aren't always much higher than FRC prices. You might find a Z06 for a great price, we picked this one up for 23K.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=49 Bob

Quick Reply: IF your were buying a Vette to just...