Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 cam swap- what am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question C6 cam swap- what am I getting into?

Have a bud who will pay me to swap cams in his new C6. I have performed cam swaps in f bods, but not Vettes. I have better than average mechanical skills, and would feel more than comfortable working on a car of that caliber.

I know in the C5s, the rack and pinion has to be removed. I would assume this holds true for the C6 as well.

All I want to know is how labor intensive it is and if I am wasting my time trying to earn some side money while helping a bud of mine out, saving him a chunk of change...

THANKS
Erik
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
Have a bud who will pay me to swap cams in his new C6. I have performed cam swaps in f bods, but not Vettes. I have better than average mechanical skills, and would feel more than comfortable working on a car of that caliber.

I know in the C5s, the rack and pinion has to be removed. I would assume this holds true for the C6 as well.

All I want to know is how labor intensive it is and if I am wasting my time trying to earn some side money while helping a bud of mine out, saving him a chunk of change...

THANKS
Erik

if you have to take the rack out on C6's then dont waste your time.. it BLOWS..... one of the worst things ive ever done...

unless... your smart and get lucky like i did. with the intake manifold off you can jack the car up just enough to get the crank pulley bolt to clear the rack, id bet that if you undid the front cradle bolts from the frame you could also drop the front cradle about another 2-3 inches with no problems and get the whole crank pully off. i know for sure you can get to the bolt with the rack still in, but getting the whole pully off im not positive.

another option is you might be able to undo the front cover bolts and then "swing" the front cover to the side around the crank and be able to get the cam bolts out and get the gear off without taking the sprocked off the crank.

i havent tried it but i think it sounds like a pretty good idea to me off the top of my head
Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
if you have to take the rack out on C6's then dont waste your time.. it BLOWS..... one of the worst things ive ever done...

unless... your smart and get lucky like i did. with the intake manifold off you can jack the car up just enough to get the crank pulley bolt to clear the rack, id bet that if you undid the front cradle bolts from the frame you could also drop the front cradle about another 2-3 inches with no problems and get the whole crank pully off. i know for sure you can get to the bolt with the rack still in, but getting the whole pully off im not positive.

another option is you might be able to undo the front cover bolts and then "swing" the front cover to the side around the crank and be able to get the cam bolts out and get the gear off without taking the sprocked off the crank.
i havent tried it but i think it sounds like a pretty good idea to me off the top of my head
I see what you're saying about "swinging" the timing cover out of the way....the only thing is, how are you going to swing it?
Isnt it sitting flush with the oil pan....unless you could pull it out past the oil pan, but I doubt there is that much room between the back of the crank and the timing cover that you could do this....though I have never even been under a c6 to know...how hard is it to drop the pan a little bit??

THANKS
Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
I see what you're saying about "swinging" the timing cover out of the way....the only thing is, how are you going to swing it?
Isnt it sitting flush with the oil pan....unless you could pull it out past the oil pan, but I doubt there is that much room between the back of the crank and the timing cover that you could do this....though I have never even been under a c6 to know...how hard is it to drop the pan a little bit??

THANKS

ahhhhh ****.. lol your right unless you undid the the two front bolts on the pan and then it should slide right out if you got the crank pully off enough.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

If you do it, convince him to pay you extra to pin the crank while you're in there in case he ever goes FI in the future. Might as well do everything that can be done one time b/c the steering rack sucks.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

HOLY ****
I just stood under a c6 at the shop across the street...WOWWWWW
looks like a major PITA!
I may have to rethink this lol
E
Old 06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Coral springs?

Dude, you live 5 minutes from me. Changing valve springs too?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Rack has to come off. It would be quicker and easier than trying to find the work-around.

Easiest way is to take it to J (V-seriesTech) and let him do it.

There I go, signing you up for ****, J. LOL
Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Rack has to come off. It would be quicker and easier than trying to find the work-around.

Easiest way is to take it to J (V-seriesTech) and let him do it.

There I go, signing you up for ****, J. LOL

Hey dawg, it's all good bro. I'm down for whatever G. Thank you for the thumbs up.

Hows the beast ron? Any good stories? It still looks SICK
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Thanks bro. Nothing great. Put down a few AMGs and a modded TBSS. Need to put some new tires on it though!

I see you caught a few slippin' since the FI mod.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Thanks bro. Nothing great. Put down a few AMGs and a modded TBSS. Need to put some new tires on it though!

I see you caught a few slippin' since the FI mod.

aweome. those amg's can be beast man. Ten years ago, I wouldn't say that but, nowadays those things are 490hp to 600++ depending on the ride, as you know.

lol...and yes,..I have been surprising quite a few vehicles lately. Alot of fun actually. I'm gonna hop in the street racing section real quick, and write about my own personal benz run in the other day.

Anyways bigpimpin'...keep in touch G.

J
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Its not hard. I did the cam swap in my C5 Z06 and the rack really isn't anything to be worried about. If you are good with a wrench, its no problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

I've done this every way imaginable. I like dropping the k member. Its quick and easy.

V series, is your car up and running? I thought it blew up? I was in the Springs last week hanging out with my little one. No vette, had a massive Grand Marqui rental. Whoo hoo.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AintQik
I've done this every way imaginable. I like dropping the k member. Its quick and easy.

V series, is your car up and running? I thought it blew up? I was in the Springs last week hanging out with my little one. No vette, had a massive Grand Marqui rental. Whoo hoo.

ahhh bro, you should have given me a shout man. We could have hooked one of my kits up to the rental.

cars running, so far, pretty good man. Kicking some *** on a few cars(and bikes) here and there. I changed the motor, added a blower, tilted my radiator, and...more or less that it. Alot of work. Alot of stress. But, as you could imagine, it's always worth it. Seeing people faces when your takeing them for a ride is the best.

I'm taking my car north for it's first two hour trip tomorrow morning for the weekend soo, we'll see how she does on a slight misson. I'll take it easy most of the way.

Anyways man,..should have hollared. thanks for asking bout the car though.

Peace out dawg.

Jamie

Quick Reply: C6 cam swap- what am I getting into?